Kobe Brisket

Last I knew, real Kobe beef was not legal in the US, as processing in Kobe did not meet USDA standards.

That changed in 2012, but real Kobe beef is not being imported for use in BBQ. It shows up at high end steakhouses. A lot of places also call beef Kobe that isn't really Kobe. Kobe is a brand name, like CAB is, and there is lots of stuff out there called Kobe that isn't from Japan.

Wagyu is a name given to US raised beef that is interbred with Japanese cattle that may or may not be related to the breed used in Kobe beef. The standards for Wagyu are pretty loose, which is one reason why Strube, Imperial, SRF, etc. are not the same.

The real questions are: do like like the way a particular brand cooks? Is the producer pretty consistent with providing briskets that are similar or do you have to buy 15 to get 3 good ones? Does it convey an advantage to you, and does that advantage outweigh the cost? These are the things that are important to me, no matter what it's called and whether the name is authentic or not.

So are there any USDA standards in place as I see more and more Rests. claiming "AMERICAN KOBE BEEF".Is there a percentage of Waygu to other breeds nessessery for such claims.Perhaps a certification process.I have tasted some burgers with this claim and found no difference in fat or flavor.Does anyone remember when the "TRUTH IN MENU" law came into law through the Federal Government?

We cooked choice for a long time and were a top team in the kcbs, we switched to wagyu and had our scores drop, sometimes I think the tenderness killed me. I went back to prime grass fed and have been back doing better in brisket. Wagyu is a nice piece of meat, but not sure it is the save all.

Back