Kobe Brisket

My new method will be to cook 1 competition quality brisket per comp. I have never scored that well in brisket, but had 3 sent to me from Strube and BPS. I have cooked a prime and the Strube at the last 3 comps and never sent the Prime. Had also never cooked Waygu. Just cook it like ya cook your other brisket.

as others already said, definately cook two. one what you usually use and one wagyu. taste test and turn in the best.

landarc, as far as i know, it's not a US import thing at this point but a japanese thing, that they don't or won't export native wagyu.

if i'm wrong, can you point me in the direction of imported japanese beef?

There is a steakhouse in S.F. that has it from time to time, here is a mail order house that has it as well LINKY

There are others.

Well, $100 for a 12 ounce steak is not a loop many of us find ourselves in.

I went from CAB's last year to Waygu this year, yes they do cook differently, BUT as long as you use the probe test you should be fine, times are a little diffent but it sound's like you are able to adjust, don't stress over it!!!!

Much less cook time. Very little collagen to melt. Rested too long and they go mushy/mealy. Rapid cool them if you have to pull them too early. If you can get a wagyu then take it but cook what got you there too.

Has thou not heard of the wise 'ol saying "Don't bite the hand that feeds you?"
If I was your wifes boss and got wind of you sticking me for a ridicules priced chunk of meat, I think I'd find somebody else to sponser next year.
Just sayin.
Ed

valid point, but as long as your up front with them i think you'd be OK.

plus, i imagine they'd enjoy the novelty of having some of the highest quality meat available cooked to competition level.

After reading this thread I picked up a prime brisket (trimmed) at a local meat market. I injected it, rubbed it and cooked it to 180 after the butcher convinced me that anything over 180 would be a mistake. The meat had so little fat that it didn't separate well and was tough due to what I assume was too little time on the (Memphis Pro) pit. I've never had this issue with Sams or Costco briskets and wonder how much of it was the prime beef. How many people are competing with prime versus good old Choice?

After reading this thread I picked up a prime brisket (trimmed) at a local meat market. I injected it, rubbed it and cooked it to 180 after the butcher convinced me that anything over 180 would be a mistake. The meat had so little fat that it didn't separate well and was tough due to what I assume was too little time on the (Memphis Pro) pit. I've never had this issue with Sams or Costco briskets and wonder how much of it was the prime beef. How many people are competing with prime versus good old Choice?

There is only one butcher you can trust with brisket and his name is David.

That dude you talked to needs to leave the cooking to cooks and keep cutting.

It should have a lot of intramuscular fat if it's prime. (The strands between the muscle fibers, not the big chucks of solid fat you are probably trimming off anyway.)

It's that fat that keeps the meat moist - but like landarc said, 180 isn't right. You need it to be probe tender before you take it off the cooker, and that's going to be closer to 200. Choice or prime or wagyu will not be good at 180.

I have gotten high calls with choice and with wagyu. Prime or Wagyu aren't magic bullets if the brisket isn't cooked right.

We cooked two amazing Waygu briskets for the first time at the Lenexa bbq battle this year. One turned out to be the best brisket we ever cooked, and good enough for 14th.

At mission, ks last weekend we nabbed first with 1 great looking prime from SAMs. It turned out as good or better than the Waygu.

We decided that on average Waygu was better than prime which, on average, is better than choice. But for any given range, there will be outliers that can beat anything. JMTC, Based on our vast experience cooking 3 Waygu, 10 primes, and 20 choice.

For what it's worth, we'll cook a prime and a Waygu at the royal this year. Space 470!

Last I knew, real Kobe beef was not legal in the US, as processing in Kobe did not meet USDA standards. I have heard of ways around this by bringing the mean through Canada. Has this changed? Just curious.

I would stick to what you are comfortable with. We have done a few side by sides with Wagyu, and choice. People have all pointed to the choice as the one they prefer. Just my personal $.02.

If you do try it, I will be curious to hear if you do try this how it came out.

Kobe isnt allowed in us but I believe it would be usda regs
waygu is supposed to be same breed, but not nescessarily beer fed and massaged. Theres a local place that advertises bbq "kobe" and it irks me a bit.

Snake river is one source but I think allen bros in chi carry it also.

I alwYs thought the point of bbq was to take a cheap, tough cut and make it buttah!
Soory for typos....ona train!

Back