Kingsford Comp in a Drum?

Wesman61

is Blowin Smoke!
I was looking at a gravity fed smoker and was told they work best with briquettes. I don't use briquettes for anything but lighting my lump in my drum. So yesterday I picked up some Kingsford comp at Costco and some spares. I'm going to give briquettes a try along with some hickory chunks. We'll see if they are a viable option for me and my family. Anyone wanna chime in with your thoughts?

Never wanted to use briqs in my drum because I was worried about the amount of ash. Looking forward to your results.

The only briquettes I have used in my drum so far has been Weber. I don't like the taste of Kingsford (not trying to start that debate here) when used in minion method. I just bought some Royal Oak briquettes ($8.88 for a twin pack at Walmart) and will give that a shot.

Just my two thoughts... I like loading up my drum basket with lump, but put a nice layer of kingsford on top. Like just one layer of briquettes. It's sort of the best of both world's.

Before I switched to lump I used briquettes in my drum all the time. The work fine and are really good for long smokes. A lot of ashes but nothing a deep dish pizza pan wont fix.

Ive used B&B briquettes in my Hunsaker many times.. works great; keeps the temp rock steady once its dialed in.. a lot more ash than lump naturally, but nothing thats not manageable.

I don't care/use kingsford. But I still use briquettes in my drum. I also use lump. Depends on the temp I'm smoking at and how long of a cook.
I've never had my coal basket go out due to ash build up. Never been a problem. My basket will go 20+ hrs at 275*.
As far as clean up. YES more ash. But I have to clean it up anyways. What's the difference if it is a small pile or a larger pile.
I use one similar to this
https://www.homedepot.com/p/Carlisle-Duo-Pan-Lobby-Dust-Pan-and-Duo-Sweep-Broom-36141503/203883737

Sweep the ash to one side of the drum, then sweep ash into the stand up dust pan. Dump into trash can. The day after a cook to make sure there are no hot ashes.
Over night cooks it takes 2 times to get all the ash. But 90% of my cooks are 6 hrs or less. So not much ash. Still is quite easy and quick.
I find this the easiest, and contains the ashes the best for dumping.
Where I hated dumping/tipping a coal basket with coals left over. And trying to get the ash off a pan attached to the bottom of the coal basket. Always made a mess. But that is me.
I am only able to smoke at 150-170* using briquettes. Lump 190* is typically the lowest and not have the lump go out after a couple hours. When doing jerky, sausage etc.

Last edited:
I picked up Kingsford Comp during last year’s Memorial Day sale at Lowe’s. Works well in my drum. No complaints.

I've used Kingsford comp in my drum several times. Works just fine for me. I only use it when I'm out of lump. Just don't like the taste of briqs but I keep some on hand for back up. As far as the ash goes, I've not had a problem with it. It's the same amount of clean up. Just a bit more volume.

Have not tried the comp. Royal Oak has been my favorite for years. Have used the blue when its been on sale but always go back. Lump is a little cleaner tasting to me but very inconsistent.

About two years ago I up-sized the baskets in my drums and started using a mix of briquettes and lump (never used briquettes before) and I tried Kingsford Competition and Kingsford Long Burning. I like the Long burning much better, but again I'm using about 60% lump and 40% briquettes and mix them in layers. A large fire burns very evenly this way.

Turned out very tasty. I could happily live with these results. Rubbed with Big Moe's Competition Rib Rub. Wrapped them with some SBR's for about an hour then unwrapped for 45 minutes after mopping with more sauce.

YQiIcIS.jpg
://i.imgur.com/KUES96t.jpg[/IMG]

KUES96t.jpg

I have used Kinsgsord Comp a lot with good results. I usually use lump but when Comp goes on sale at Costco I always get some.

I use Comp in my UDS and actually prefer it. Temps are stable and I get 24+hour burn times. Ash clean up is no big deal if you're using an ash pan/catcher.

Back