KCBS rule 15, every cook must read

You can send it to my cell phone though. It'll be safe, because I don't know how to work the thing.

When a DQ happens the judges and reps should be required to take a photo. I think it would help with the review of such matters, fine tune the judging, and occasionally if such was shared with the masses we all could learn something.

Here is what I did, to cover my butt.... I personally spoke with the reps, to make sure I knew what they considered DQ's for ribs. I explained my entry in detail and they stated that would not be a DQ. I also took a picture of my box prior to me turning it in...

Gosh, I'd post the picture, but I can't seem to figure out how to get it off my cell phone for you all.... :roll:
Thanks Scottie! I believe there will be a lot more teams taking the same action you did this weekend. I usually have someone else from our team go to the cook's meeting, but I may have to start going myself.

Honestly, I had thought about bringing it up at the cooks meeting, but decided to ask one on one with the rep... I had a feeling that it might of turned into a mess at the cooks meeting with Q & A....

if this is going to be an issue, then maybe the Reps should make a mention of it at the meeting? As this seems like a rule that is left up to the Rep to make a determination...

While I can see the need for rule 15 where, as discussed before there are only 4 ribs showing, I would have a problem if I were to get say 8 or even 9 ribs in and they DQ'd me for not having 'six identifiable pieces'.

We have always taken pictures of each of our boxes for two reasons. The first is because for some reason I can pick up on the little things better from a picture than the box sitting in front of me. Second, as a record if and when we seem to do it right. We'll add a third reason, backup...

as far as ive understood, 6 seperate identifiable portions at least, for each category. Pork has always confused me, but we havent got dq'ed yet. Just dont skimp when it comes to your box and you should be fine.

If there is not enough meat for
each judge to sample, the shorted judge(s) will score a
one (1) on all criteria, and the judges having samples will
change the Appearance score to one (1).

And this is why the confusion has started... The appearance score should be changed, only after the judge(s) who were shorted the samples to verify there was enough samples in the box. To DQ a sample before (just on appearence) is WRONG, JMHO...:confused:

When a DQ happens the judges and reps should be required to take a photo. I think it would help with the review of such matters, fine tune the judging, and occasionally if such was shared with the masses we all could learn something.

While I agree with the logic and principle of your recommendation, I see it opening a whole new can of worms. The lighting, the resolution, the angle, etc.

Is the issue with stacking 4 on 4 (or more) as a whole or some teams that stack 4/5 on 4/5 and nearly cover up the bottom row?

If the issue is that some teams practically cover up the bottom row, then I believe that this rule being brought up is just. If it's the mere fact that more teams are doing it and some reps/judges have a hard time determining the number of ribs in a box (no matter how they are displayed), I think common sense should come into play and they should count bone ends. 6 or more, judge on appearance as it's a legal entry.

Then if 6 individual pieces are not provided, then go back and change the app number to 1 and proceed as normal. It's a simple process to lower the scores if needed compared to finding out later that the entry was legal.

OK, all that said (and if the process) - I could see a team turn in 6 cut ribs on the bottom row and just put a half rack up top without cuts - yeah, that should be a DQ.

When I judged the other day, one entry was an incompletely sliced brisket, which was visibly cut incompletely. However, it was so well done that the slices broke off when we picked the up, leaving the uncut portion behind. There was enough for all 6 judges, with the uncut portion left behind looking much like a partially used book of matches.

No one DQ'd it but .... Maybe it should have been under the current rule?

We took the Lotta BS class last november and Dan from Daniel's Bar-B-Que was helping. They spoke of him being DQ'd once because you could not see the cuts in his rib entry. There were six ribs there but they "looked" like an uncut half slab.

Are we BBQn or are we doing photo shoots . Let's cook and tel the judges to lighten up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awright...here's a whole new can of worms...

What the heck is "Sculpting"? :confused:

ducks and hides

The judges aren't responsible for DQing entries.

They are if they flag the reps down. I was next to a guy judging in CT last year and he was looking for stuff to dq on. I mean really looking. (whole other thread)

Also, I disagree with the statement that photos and lighting/resolution etc. would be an issue. Take a picture of what the problem is and then an overall. There surely will be 10-20 camera phones available. And then USE the photos to teach or better yet reinforce, to other reps what is right and what is wrong to DQ on. (after all appeals are finished.)

Pretty simple quality control measure for KCBS to implement. And maybe one of those photos gets posted once in a while to let the competitors know what's what as well.

This would also let reps know what the latest trends may be. Saving confusion and hard feelings on a DQ.

Back