THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My problem is with the use of the term "identifiable". That is a subjective and nebulous term. What if one or two judges can't see the rib cut lines? What does "identifiable" mean? All the judges can see them? The majority can see them? The table captain?

As a competition cook, I just don't see how you abide by the letter of this rule without separating your ribs enough to see daylight between them.

John

First, the judge would point out their concerns to the table captain, then if the TC couldn't make the determination, he/she would go to the reps. Personally, I've never seen it get that far-actually I've never seen this at all, good on all the competitors!

I just think yall are getting upset about something that, if you are diligent, shouldn't be an issue at all, because it's always been in the rules.

BTW, I clearly see 8 ribs in that box, and I'm kinda old with not great eyesight :)

PD....my comment was meant to be ridiculous....just like not being able to see 6 ribs in a box when there was seven....surely everyone can count...if ribs aren't cut through clean, then that judge doesn't get a sample, then your DQ comes in to play...

My problem is with the use of the term "identifiable". That is a subjective and nebulous term. What if one or two judges can't see the rib cut lines? What does "identifiable" mean? All the judges can see them? The majority can see them? The table captain?

As a competition cook, I just don't see how you abide by the letter of this rule without separating your ribs enough to see daylight between them.

John

Well said - the subjectivity is key. Judge if for app as it is 6+ pieces. If it doesn't have 6 when the tray gets passed around, change the app score to a 1.

PD....my comment was meant to be ridiculous....just like not being able to see 6 ribs in a box when there was seven....surely everyone can count...if ribs aren't cut through clean, then that judge doesn't get a sample, then your DQ comes in to play...
OK. Sorry about not initially seeing the sarcasm.

John

Bull-chit...if I have 6 ribs in there...they're gonna see 'em...how can you not! :confused:...Anyone ever seen a 6 inch wide rib? :lol::lol::lol:

You know, if this kind of rule-tightening continues, I can very easily see a day in the not too distant future where we all start taking pictures of our boxes for use as a sort of instant replay challenge. Is that a good thing?

John

Yeah, it was a craptastic practice box, wasn't it? :oops: Thanks for rubbing it in, though. :wink: :-D
There could have been a single inflorescence of parsley, and someone would bust your chops because "it's a meat contest".
shiner.gif

You know, if this kind of rule-tightening continues, I can very easily see a day in the not too distant future where we all start taking pictures of our boxes for use as a sort of instant replay challenge. Is that a good thing?

John

I was thinking the same regarding pics.

Personally, ours always seem to have a nick or two on the edges of the slices - sounds like that may be a good thing.

I haven't read anything but the first post...WTF? That rule has been in place for at LEAST four years. Why was it brought up? Better yet....why was it even posted? It's an established rule, nothings changed, what gives? Gimme a break.

I realize nothing is changed per above but still seems silly...How about just letting the judges select their pieces.. The, if the last judge(s) do not have a piece to select from, then it is clear that pieces are omitted and at that point could be scored down from the original appearance score.

that is the way it has always been done around here....

I think it would be hard to visibly identify if the pieces are separated completely. Some times the judges don't know this till they pull them from the box and two pieces are stuck together.
Again, the way it has been done around here....

Sorry, but what I understand is it is a BBQ competition. Not a meat comp, not a "salad contest", but a BBQ contest.

BBQ means a lot of different things to different people. If you could turn in a box with six pulled pork sliders with slaw and a tennessee red sauce you would get all 9's on my score sheet, but you probably would get all 2's on someone elses (if that turn in was legal)

I cook some IBCA contests too, and I have to agree that garnish in the box is not a favorite of mine, but since that's the KCBS way................... just let my wife do it for me:icon_blush:
Or my wife... if you do it upside-down!!

Seriously, what's the big deal about cutting your ribs or brisket all the way through so each of the 6 judges can get a sample without having to pull it apart? If you don't think you need to, that's your problem, not KCBS's. This rule has not changed, at least since 2001. If you enter a contest and agree to the rules, you shouldn't complain.

It has nothing to do with cutting them all the way through. It has to do with them seeing 6 separately. you could have them cut through, but would take 4 out of 6 ribs or slices of brisket just to "take meat home

Well, I've been putting nothing but a big ol' pile of pulled pork in my box since day one, so this has me concerned. I certainly hope nothing has changed, but apparently something has, or Merl probably wouldn't have brought it to our attention.

John

I haven't read anything but the first post...WTF? That rule has been in place for at LEAST four years. Why was it brought up? Better yet....why was it even posted? It's an established rule, nothings changed, what gives? Gimme a break.

I have to agree.

And for all of you that don't understand the rule or what happens when judges don't get six ribs or how pulled pork is treated... you best get into a CBJ course... FAST!!! I've taken the CBJ course three times. Did refreshers the last two years while helping cook and table captain for them. KCBS let's you audit the classes for free if you are already a CBJ. At least they used to.

I don't see any issue with the rule or with how the BOD ruled on it. Have understood this rule to work this way for a few years now. It ain't rule tightening... its the rules.

Back