KCBS BOD is trying to eliminate table numbers from the score sheet

gettinbasted

is Blowin Smoke!
Bill Capstack: I motion to eliminate the table numbers from the cook's report. - See more at: http://kcbs.us/news.php?id=902#sthash.tMvvsEFa.dpuf

The board meeting is in 2 days. They don't want to tackle fixing the judging disparity problem, so they are going to try to hide it.

Send an email and let them know it's too late for a cover up and to try tackling the issue instead of burying their collective head! bod@kcbs.us

Bill Capstack: I motion to eliminate the table numbers from the cook's report. - See more at: http://kcbs.us/news.php?id=902#sthash.tMvvsEFa.dpuf

The board meeting is in 2 days. They don't want to tackle fixing the judging disparity problem, so they are going to try to hide it.

Send an email and let them know it's too late for a cover up and to try tackling the issue instead of burying their collective head! bod@kcbs.us

Seems this board member has all the good ideas of late :twitch:

There was another motion in there to remove the prize amounts off of the website...wonder why'd they'd want to do that?

Here is how I feel about this matter and a few others. So, I sent it:

Dear KCBS BoD,

I am vehemently opposed to the removing of table identification numbers from team score sheets.
I believe, it behooves our organization to keep the table numbers visible and for our organization to investigate opportunities to strengthen the judging scoring process via collected and treated scoring data of judges.

Furthermore, I think it is prudent of the BoD to be vigilant in their research and discussion on scoring and other issues and concerns that our members are passionate about versus the perceived lack of membership discussion and analytics.

Thanks for your time and efforts!

Sincerely,
Steph Franklin
Simply Marvelous BBQ

Unbelievable just Absolutely Unbelievable why on this earth would anyone make a motion for such a thing, the only answer as stated above let's hide the problem we currently have instead addressing the problem head on. Once again Ladies and Gentleman track the Judges have seat/table assignments for the reps according to those #'s, now if that's not possible explain why in today's tech age, is it a $ issue somebody somewhere please tell us why it's so hard. Fact is it's not there is a Comp whose organizers do just that, I'm not saying it's going to solve the problem totally for I know the human factor always will be there, I think what we are after simply is an attempt just an attempt to address & discuss the problem with an end result, is it possible to make all involved Happy nope not going to happen, I'm sure that's not what we expect (members/cooks) however action is.

Email sent against removing the table number.

Also against the requirement of making PC a requirement for GC/RGC of a KCBS event.

Mike Richter: Discussion regarding contest advising that peoples’ choice is required to win GC/RGC

Does the table # matter? You don't know who the judges are.

The only way to improve judging is to have a comprehensive test before you can become a judge, period. Weed out the bad ones right off.

Does the table # matter? You don't know who the judges are.

The only way to improve judging is to have a comprehensive test before you can become a judge, period. Weed out the bad ones right off.

Knowing the table number is important for a team to help gauge their performance. If I hit a table with other known top teams and don't score good, I know I had a bad entry or vice a versa.

Also, I want to know if a table is consistently scoring higher/lower than the norm.

I would like to see all tables reported with the judge averages not just the tables I hit at a contest.

Knowing the table number is important for a team to help gauge their performance. If I hit a table with other known top teams and don't score good, I know I had a bad entry or vice a versa.

Also, I want to know if a table is consistently scoring higher/lower than the norm.

I would like to see all tables reported with the judge averages not just the tables I hit at a contest.

I echo what David said above and I really like the bolded idea a lot.

Otherwise, I feel the motion is just a copout to try to hide or run from the problem instead of addressing the issue.

Robert

It has been over a year since we competed and my memory is not as good as it once was so I may be talking out of my backside here but... I would go a step further and require contests to publish a judges summary sheet which would include the judges number, their average score for each category, and the table they sat at. This info should be available online so competitors could use the data to determine the organizers/reps commitment to producing a fair judging enviornment, and to use to determine their desire to participate in the contest the following year. If memory serves, competitors pay to compete while judges on't pay to eat. Therefore, competitors should have all information a available to them to determine where they will spend their hard earned money rather than having that info hidden and having to roll the dice.

This is once again a perfect example of what the current task is of the KCBS BOD. Prime example of micro-managing. Can I make a motion to the board and instruct all Directors to throw these not thought out motions to the corresponding committee for review? Not just this board, but since I have been a member, that they worry about the small nuts and bolts and they should be worrying about the larger picture. Like the mess that the judging system is in!!! This board wants a perfect harmony between the cooks and judges. Why not fix that problem instead of sweeping it under the rug? Look at the bigger picture. Like how does this ridiculous motion benefit KCBS. Not, how am I going to make Earnest and Mabel happy that they got to sneak out without any critique. Oh and a full cooler of nibbled BBQ.

To my friends on the board that will read this. This isn't personal. I know your hands are somewhat tied. But when does the board abandon this type of thinking and move on to bigger things? Those sounds that you are hearing are shots across the bow. Not by me, but by the cooks. And let us remember that without cooks, there isn't a KCBS. Cooks are dropping like flies and I sure as hell would worry more about that, than why Joe Blow didn't renew his membership after the judging class he went with his buddy to keep him company.

Just some thoughts from a semi-retired cook. Looking like a soon to be retired cook if this nonsense continues.

KCBS #7644

There was a thread a couple of weeks ago about a contest requiring people's choice to get paid or win a GC/RGC. I could be wrong, but I'm guessing that Mike Richter is looking to discuss this isolated incident. I don't think they are looking to make it a requirement.

I sent an email to the BOD about that topic, never heard anything, but I guess someone read the email :becky: . As far as hiding judges feedback, looks like another email is in order. As I have said many times, they should seat judges based on their historical averages to balance the tables. If they aren't willing to do that (and I think they should) they at the very least need to let cooks know what table they were at. It helps you understand if you were at a TOD, who you were against at the same table, and how you finished relative to them. We don't get a lot of feedback on our entries due to the blind judging system - why remove one of the few tools we do have?

They were wanting to get the cooks more involved...

How the fark does this benefit the cooks in any way?!?!?!

Thanks.

Back