KCBS Board

Portions (that didn't go to Executive sessions) were discussed on the MP3. There were some problems with the New Orleans contest/trade show. My understanding is Tana was the incharge person. Some things were done with out the Board getting notice. Big fight about what should be disclosed to other board members...

Its also seems that some people are in the know and are keeping it to themselves. For instance, what is the "Louisiana thing"?

Is that the reason the New Orleans event was cancelled? I had heard through the grapevine that it was cancelled due to the effect the oil spill had on the seafood market. It was going to be a combined Seafood/BBQ event.

But now I wonder if it was some other reason.

I think it was canceled because the guys who were supposed to line up the vendors pulled out but KCBS was committed as a $$ sponsor so nobody wanted to tell them. A board member was looking at a payday so she decided not to tell the board and there were emails saying so. But as is typical she was let off the hook because she's a good old girl and now she's firing away at the board member who shall not be named.

As a person who sat on the board and ran up the chain of offices at a yacht club, I learned two valuable lessons about volunteering to help an organization.

1. When little people, with little common sense, get a taste of a little power - Watch out for a lot of problems!

2. No good deed goes unpunished!

I am not sure what is worse. Conduct that is not appropriate with a phone call... or back door deals. That comment is not addressed at any one board member either. Now the history of the KCBS is ripe with back door deals. We the members are getting cheated. No two ways about it. I just wish folks would be so up in arms about the back door deals. to me, those are worse....

Good point Scottie. I'm still trying to figure out what kind of back door deal prompted the action that was taken against Kettering last year.

As a person who sat on the board and ran up the chain of offices at a yacht club, I learned two valuable lessons about volunteering to help an organization.

1. When little people, with little common sense, get a taste of a little power - Watch out for a lot of problems!

2. No good deed goes unpunished!

I have found this to be so true!!!!!

I had 16 years with Thermo Electron many as a division president; In my non-profit volunteering could not believe how a little responsibility given to people not used to it would manifested itself as a power trip within a couple months.

You know things are bad when an organization's marketing guy goes on the radio and doesn't refute the notion that the BOD is broken. Like most members, I just want to cook and have no idea what is really going on.

Being very honest, why would anyone want to be a member of an organization with a board of directors that is riddled with back door deals and dissention? MBN is starting to look better all the time. I think we will sign up for the contest in Vermont. I sure hope Phil or NEBS steps up and starts fully sanctioning contests.

Rather than abandon KCBS, I think we should stay persistent about trying to make it better.

This forum is doing it's part by turning over rocks and exposing what is underneath.

All of us who care need to continue to press for more openness with KCBS and for being civil with whatever disagreements there happen to be.

I know that I have somewhat better idea of what is going on in KCBS by reading what is on the Brethren to put together with the Bullsheet.

It takes strength to acknowledge your weaknesses and problems. KCBS needs ongoing support by members who are also critical and who are vocal with that criticism to help build that strength. Not just to tear down the organization.

IMHO.

Back