KCBS at it again!!

I thought when they say regional representatives, they were looking aside from the board. To go regional into 6-9-12?( however many regions), have ONE regional contact and that person be the voicebox TO he board. Anyway, thats topic for new thread. We can spilt it anyone want to discuss it.

The 6 Regional and 6 At Large would satisfy both the areas that have many members and those that have not had voice on the BoD

The 6 Regional and 6 At Large would satisfy both the areas that have many members and those that have not had voice on the BoD

thats a new concept I just read about. Earlier discussions i thought were for 'regional reps' that were in addition to the BOD that can speak to the board on behalf of regional issues, contests, ideas, etc.

and a different perspective.

Perception IS Reality.

Folks in outlying areas feel they do not have representation outside of the midwest or KC area. This manifests from outlying areas NOT having the concentration of contests that are present in the midwest and KC areas surrounding states. Now understanding this is not the direct fault of KCBS as an organization it can be attributed to the lack of represention in the form of team concentration, local reps, organizers, etc. These are all underlying factors. Regional representation, IMO, would enable smaller organizations and groups to work together to increase activity IN THEIR REGIONS as well as give folks the feeling they have an ear besides jsut the board of directors. Regional reps can organize meeitngs with local reps, organizers, even members to work out issues, whether it be to be brought to the BOD, or to just hash out issues and come up with ideas, strategies etc, to help the regions expand. I think a concept like this will encourage more folks to get involved and keep the R&d committee and New Ideas commitee busy.

KCBS is growing. A centralized group of 12 folks cannot facilitate the growth on a single national level, but dividing up into groups and working together CAN faciltate growth of the individual regions, all feeding up to the mother organization.

No national organization or corporation is run at a 50,000 foot level. They are all run in smaller levels, be it regionals, statewide, area, even city.. But in order to grow, attention needs to be directed in the areas of slow growth so they can expand before they die off, whereas the established areas will continue to thrive on their own.

well.. thats my dime anyway..

This is the report which was provided to the Board last week. The popular trend is the 6 regions and 6 at large members with two regions and two at large seats voted upon each year. This will require three years to implement fully.

We have a lot to talk about. Please pm your thoughts and ideas.
Yours in BBQ
Merl
New Ideas Report

The New Ideas committee has been researching other type of national organizations which provide for regional representation in the makeup of national non profit boards.

The ideas which have been discussed are as follows: (remember there are 12 seats)

1. Every Board member represents a region of the country, the boundaries are geographic.

2. Every Board member represents a region of the country, the boundaries are determined by membership density where each region represents the same number of members. (Would hurt the west and north)

3. A board made up of 4 or 6 regions with the remaining members of the board being members at large. This is one of the most popular methods. By doing this each region has a voice, with a group of board members who are responsible to the entire membership.

In as much as four seats are open each election period this would be phased in over a three year period.

As we develop this further we will share further research and design of this project. No action is asked for at this time. The Committee is interested in feedback from the Board of Directors as we move forward to present next year a well thought out plan.

Respectfully submitted.
Merl Whitebook
New Ideas Committee.

I thought when they say regional representatives, they were looking aside from the board..

yah... me too.

Like people have been saying, if we VOTE for who we think would make a good BoD member, they either get in or they dont. That's the beauty of an election.
But regional reps would be just that... representatives that could then give people a voice.

2 things.

1 - this thread has been scrubbed please keep it on topic and stop baiting folks to drag it off.

2 - Merl. I like my idea better.:mrgreen::wink:. REGIONAL REPRESENTATIVES. Run KCBS like a corporation. Divisionilize or Regionilize, appoint low level management and empower them. Let the board tend to Board operations, let the regional reps do day to day and tend to the details, bringing to the board the issues of the membership.

Phil Just not sure about creating another level bureaucracy
Keeping it simple with the 6 at large and 6 regional seems best
But hey its all ideas right now

In today's computer age, why not poll the membership when it comes to questions that effect the general membership.

It that an unrealistic option?

In today's computer age, why not poll the membership when it comes to questions that effect the general membership.

It that an unrealistic option?

Not unrealistic unless the cost to do it is prohibitive and would potentially raise membership fee.

A regular forum poll leaves too much room for problems like multiple voting. It would need to be in a controlled manner like the online BOD election process but I am sure that the cost is not cheap since it's overseen by a third party

Vinny, we have used Elections On-Line for the past two years. It uses our members e-mails, membership numbers and generates a password. It has been a very good resource. The cost is just under $5,000.00 for our organization. When you consider when we mailed ballots at cost of .42 cents per member plus paper and printing, this is very much in line, and much easier. We do offer any member a paper ballot if they call the office. Last year we had ONE request for a paper ballot.

Yours in Q
Merl Whitebook
KCBS Board of Directors.

Wow, only one request. That surprises me - I guess KCBS members are more hitech than I had expected!

Merl, who is on the New Ideas committee besides yourself?

Would it be plausable to extend this years voting to include some poll type questions on directions that the BOD is thinking of pursuint? Two birds one stone with the hiring of Elections OnLine already being hired.

A regular forum poll leaves too much room for problems like multiple voting.

I am not a computer expert...Are you saying that KCBS (or any Association) could not set up a poll are on there site where you would have to log in with your KCBS# and get one vote?

I guess I have a disconnect between how Elections Online can do it and someone like KCBS or any BBQ Association cant impliment the same (ie non-propritary) software? It is not like KCBS (or any Association) would not use it year after year after year just for elections, and then it could be used to poll members on important matters.

Bently, that is something that is easy to do technically, there are many ways to ensure single shot voting, but the results can then be tampered with by anyone that has access to the database.

By hiring a third party, it eliminates any accusations being made at the end of the election.

but for the purpose of getting member feedback, i think its a feasible idea.

I'm sure MMA could set something up for us.

<ducking>

You better duck.....haha Hope Scottie see's this. You think we could get a discount if they did it. Can you tell me just how they have helped KCBS other than a website and a 5o cent coupon off hot sauce?

Bently, that is something that is easy to do technically, there are many ways to ensure single shot voting, but the results can then be tampered with by anyone that has access to the database.

By hiring a third party, it eliminates any accusations being made at the end of the election.

but for the purpose of getting member feedback, i think its a feasible idea.

Phil I think we both would agree that you would have to be a member to voice your opinion on issue's with KCBS.

Phil I think we both would agree that you would have to be a member to voice your opinion on issue's with KCBS.

Arlie - I partially disagree with you. I understand your perspective though.

KCBS does not require that all contestants must be a dues paying member to compete in KCBS sanctioned contests and receive the benefits of their judging system. A contestant is still paying lots of money to compete and support a contest. With KCBS sanctioning the majority of contests nationwide, a contestant does not have many options to not compete in a KCBS event. They may still be dissatisfied with some of what they experience. And for that, they should have every right to voice their opinions as long as it's done fairly and for good reason.

Back