THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Competition/Tour Schedule
Charleston, SC - March 07, 2008 to March 08, 2008
North Kansas City, MO - March 14, 2008 to March 15, 2008
Hammond, LA - March 28, 2008 to March 29, 2008
Clarksville, TN - April 04, 2008 to April 05, 2008
Columbus, MS - April 11, 2008 to April 12, 2008
Livingston, AL - April 18, 2008 to April 19, 2008
Sugar Creek, MO - April 25, 2008 to April 26, 2008
Huntsville, AL - May 02, 2008 to May 03, 2008
Ashland, MS - May 09, 2008 to May 10, 2008
*Danville, VA - May 16, 2008 to May 18, 2008
*Kansas City, KS - May 23, 2008 to May 25, 2008
*Nashville, TN - June 05, 2008 to June 08, 2008
Mt. Pleasant, IA - June 13, 2008 to June 15, 2008
*Washington, DC - June 20, 2008 to June 21, 2008
Albertville, AL - June 27, 2008 to June 28, 2008
*Napierville, IL - July 03, 2008 to July 06, 2008
Tulsa, OK - July 11, 2008 to July 12, 2008
Bellvue, NE - July 18, 2008 to July 19, 2008
Mason City, IA - July 25, 2008 to July 26, 2008
*Dillon, CO - August 08, 2008 to August 09, 2008
Madison, IN - August 15, 2008 to August 16, 2008
*Reno, NV - August 27, 2008 to September 01, 2008
Cookeville, TN - September 05, 2008 to September 06, 2008
Decatur, AL - September 12, 2008 to September 13, 2008
American Royal, Kansas City, MO - October 02, 2008 to October 05, 2008
*College Station, TX - October 11, 2008 to October 12, 2008
Canton, GA - October 17, 2008 to October 18, 2008
*Jack Daniel's World BBQ Invitational, Lynchburg, TN - October 24, 2008 to October 25, 2008
*St. Petersburg, FL - November 07, 2008 to November 09, 2008
Plant City, FL - November 14, 2008 to November 15, 2008
Ft. Lauderdale, FL - November 28, 2008 to November 29, 2008

*Denotes Southern BBQ on Tour Demo Event

Not saying Mr Black has cut a deal with MMA but all the dates with * in front is Mr Black with his equipement filling that spot. Wonder what the payoff is on that?

Folk, please get your emails into the board regarding tonights vote on the Nepatism Policy. Agree, or oppose, send in an EMAIL and send to the ENTIRE BOARD. Its very important that our voices be heard.

I know this entire thing is frustrating, but we have to use the ONLY vehicle we have which to get through to them which is Email or phone calls. The board meeting is open to the public, anyone can attend. (but you have to register to speak, and today is too late). Wheather it be agree or oppose, we need to get our requests on record to those people we elected to represent us.

Here is and FYI on how this stuff works(as I understand it). Tonight is just a proposal. IF it happens, it would need to be instituted as a Bylaw change. Bylaw changes must be voted in by the members(aside from a 'special election', or closed door). That vote would take place NEXT YEAR in 2009, AFTER the 2009 election, so it would not effect anyone on the board today, or anyone being nominated or voted in next year. The earliest this would become effective is 2010.

Not saying Mr Black has cut a deal with MMA but all the dates with * in front is Mr Black with his equipement filling that spot. Wonder what the payoff is on that?

that is just too funny Jim... If he has cut a deal... Damn, my sides are hurting I am laughing so hard!!!!! :roll:

:-D

Folk, please get your emails into the board regarding this.. and send to the ENTIRE BOARD. Regarding tonights vote on the Nepatism Policy. Agree, or oppose, send in an EMAIL. Its very important that our voices be heard.

I know this entire thing is frustrating, but we have to use the ONLY vehicle we have which to get through to them which is Email or phone calls. The board meeting is open to the public, anyone can attend. (but you have to register to speak, and today is too late). Weather it be agree or oppose, we need to get our requests on record to those people we elected to represent us.

Well said Phil.

Folk, please get your emails into the board regarding this.. and send to the ENTIRE BOARD. Regarding tonights vote on the Nepatism Policy. Agree, or oppose, send in an EMAIL. Its very important that our voices be heard.

I know this entire thing is frustrating, but we have to use the ONLY vehicle we have which to get through to them which is Email or phone calls. The board meeting is open to the public, anyone can attend. (but you have to register to speak, and today is too late). Weather it be agree or oppose, we need to get our requests on record to those people we elected to represent us.

Letter sent. I recieved a very nice, almost immediate responce from Merl, but no one else yet.

Letter:

Dear KCBS Board of Directors,

The below quoted resolution is a travesty of trust and board governance. Period! Both my husband and I have been proud, dues paying members of KCBS and had hoped to continue being members. This attempt at ousting a properly elected board member is beyond ‘kids stuff’; it is detrimental to the health of a growing and vibrant organization. Rather than consider this rubbish of a resolution, let stand the wishes of the voters and not put forth some board member’s selfish agenda.

Ironically, the very definition of nepotism escapes any relevance in this smarmy resolution.

Our continued membership is questionable.

Respectfully,

Theresa and Walter Munroe
KCBS Members and CB’Js #22085 and #22078

“KCBS Board Nepotism Policy

Be it resolved that no family members shall serve on the Kansas City Barbeque Society Board of Directors at the same time, during any term.
Family members are defined as a board member’s parent, child, spouse, domestic partner, brother, sister, grandparent, and any step relationships within the preceding categories.
Respectfully Submitted,
Troy Black”

As Phil has stated in another thread. This meeting is open to the public.

It will be held at Embassy Suites Metcalf and I-435 in Overland Park...start time is 7:00 pm.

One of the greatest things Merl has done for the membership so far is get this meeting open to us as members. I just spoke with him and he encourages members to attend.

Tom and I are driving down from Omaha and will be there. If this is half as important to you (especially local members) as you have iterated here. Please consider attending. We can call it a Mini Bash!

See you there!!

Well I sent an e-mail. Something that I have not seen answered is why is this policy change needed ??

If this is a personal attack in any way, this is very un-professional and these actions need to be looked into by an ethics commitee...

You know I can somewhat understand why they would do something like this. I know carol and merl only from their KCBS judging class they held here in AZ. Fine folks and a great couple.
However I can see how the board might do this because their vote would be one the same. Kind of like not having husband and wife sit at the same judging table. Over the years your taste, Ideas become the same.
(e.g My wife is from tokyo Japan, big city gal. after living with me in the country she is as redneck as a mustard green.)

You know I can somewhat understand why they would do something like this. I know carol and merl only from their KCBS judging class they held here in AZ. Fine folks and a great couple.
However I can see how the board might do this because their vote would be one the same. Kind of like not having husband and wife sit at the same judging table. Over the years your taste, Ideas become the same.
(e.g My wife is from tokyo Japan, big city gal. after living with me in the country she is as redneck as a mustard green.)

Yes but why wasn't this handled before the election. When Carol was nominated it should have been discussed by the BOD and been resolved. The timing is what bothers me.

Yes but why wasn't this handled before the election. When Carol was nominated it should have been discussed by the BOD and been resolved. The timing is what bothers me.

<FLY ON THE WALL MOD>

"Let's just lay low and see if she gets elected."
"Oh, chit! She was elected!"
"Where's that nepotism policy I wrote just in case?"

It bothers me as well. In addition I'm less than pleased that this item was added to the agenda in the manner that it was; at the last minute. I can't speak to the motives for handling it in that manner. In my personal experience, sitting on the board of a non-profit, that is seldom a good thing unless it is some sort of emergency. In this case the next election is almost a year away. This issue could have been added to agenda a long time ago, or added to the March agenda allowing the membership sufficient time to be heard. Regardless of the motivation, this just looks bad.

In my letter to board members I urged them to make any debate or discussion of this issue public, and provide a complete and accurate transcript to members. It is my opinion, that the only way to adequately deal with the current issue is to make the process as transparent as possible.

My .02

Exactly. It's now crying over spilled milk...

I wrote and was responded to by two board members. Remember that a BOD does the work of the organization, that to serve is a privilege and we, as members, afford them that privilege by voting them in. My nominee's didn't make it this year but you can be darn sure, if they choose to run again, that I will continue to vote them in. Our vote is the only way we have of controlling the BOD. Ideally a BOD develops a plan, based on a mission, that serves it's members, as well as the corporation. I asked if this came out of nominating committee, as that would be an appropriate palce for this to eminate, and did not hear. I asked if there was history to this policy, ie problems documented in the past. Also unanswered. While a BOD may do things that seem unrasonable to members, the ultimate role of the members is to speak out and vote accordingly. I continue to plan on doing both. I ask you to do the same. Scott

Why would the Board want to get rid of Merl?
From the brief time I spent with Merl I came to conclude he was a fun loving, BBQ'en guy! perfect for KCBS.
strange world I guess.

Because he wants to open up the meetings and actually let the membership know what's going on. Instead of sneaking around, having conflicts, getting motions added to the Agenda exactly 72 hours in advance. So that no one has any time for rebuttal or to revise.

This is still the old boy network.

Back