THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Where is the Karma made? China? If so I'd save my money. China is notorious for making crap steel. For that price I would stick with a reputable Italian-made oven where you know the quality will be high.

All that said, i'm a bit biased b/c I work in the Steel industry and own an Italian Fontana Forni pizza oven.

9hBafFCl.jpg

$2600 is a pretty steep price. You can get an Oooni for what, $400? Maybe I don't know enough about them.

$2600 is a pretty steep price. You can get an Oooni for what, $400? Maybe I don't know enough about them.

These "mid-sized" ovens are a big step up from the Oonis & RoccBoxes. They're more akin to true masonry ovens in that you burn full-size splits, plus the larger cooking area. The cook chamber alone on my Marinara weighs 650lbs+.

iVOEbHrl.jpg

own an Italian Fontana Forni pizza oven.

How do you like the size? Would smaller have been fine as well? I guess when you are turning out pizzas every few minutes, you can cook them one at a time.

On my XL Big Green Egg I can turn out a large 16" pizza every 15 minutes at 450 degrees.

Chris

How do you like the size? Would smaller have been fine as well? I guess when you are turning out pizzas every few minutes, you can cook them one at a time.

On my XL Big Green Egg I can turn out a large 16" pizza every 15 minutes at 450 degrees.

Chris

I absolutely love it. I got the biggest one they had (Marinara) b/c I wanted to cook lots of roasts 'n stuff other than just pizza, but I'm sure their smaller sizes work just fine.

I love my BGE XL but the physics just don't work in its favor when it comes to pizza. No amount of tricks produce the top-down heat needed to excellent pizza.

Btw, Fontana's youtube channel is fantastic. It'll give you an idea of all the cools things you cook in these ovens.

https://www.youtube.com/c/FontanaForniUSA/videos

Chris

I cooked pizzas on my BGE for years. Made great pies but I hated that it took 10 minutes per pie then needed time to get stone back up to temp.

I got a koda 16 for Christmas and am loving it now. It was a big learning curve with quite a bit of frustration in the beginning but I've got it down pretty good. The pizzas coming out of that cooker absolutely blow away what I was able to make in the BGE. Best part is they take less than 60 seconds to make and only takes a couple minutes to get stone back up to temp.

If you can swing something bigger then that will only make things easier. It takes a bit of skill/technique to perfectly launch a big pie in the koda 16. I've dropped down to 12" pies to give myself wiggle room. With how quick it cooks it's not that big a deal for us. A larger cooker would make things easier.

I am by no means an expert and still have a long way to go but man the pizzas are tasty!

E3l6KM0.jpg

pi58FVd.jpg

rL7K68c.jpg

I love my BGE XL but the physics just don't work in its favor when it comes to pizza. No amount of tricks produce the top-down heat needed to excellent pizza.

For others playing along at home I have solved that issue I think. I place the place setter with the top up and place the pizza stone directly on top of that. I run the egg around 500 degrees and let it heat up for 30-45 minutes. This works great on my XL BGE, I had less success with my large BGE using the same technique. The coal bed on the XL is much larger than on the L egg which may have something to do with it.

I put my dough on a pizza screen and once the top starts to finish cooking, around 8-10 minutes, I pull it off the screen to brown up the bottom. My stone is running around 400 degrees.

What I am trying to solve for is the speed of making pizzas, plus I want a new toy.

Chris

Attachments

Back