Kamado Joe Vs Big Green Egg

Can you elaborate on this? Just curious in what way it's more versatile then a Kamado Joe.

I have a L BGE and I'm looking to upgrade to an XL either BGE or Big Joe. Thanks

Here are a couple things to consider when looking at ceramic grills.

The xl egg's lump grate is approx. 17.5" in diameter. Bigger lump grates provide more flexibility with grilling cooks. A bigger lump grate means the lump does not roll up the firebox as fast. Thus, the effective area available for a level lump burn is greater. In a nutshell, you can sear steaks/burgers or grill chicken at the same temps near the edge of the cooking grid as at the middle of the cooking grid.

A larger lump grate let's you be more creative on how you divide the firebox. You don't really need a stone to zone the cook. We can divide the firebox left/right, front/back or in partial circle segments. We can shrink the firebox down in size to do small grilling cooks. Use the 17.5" lump grate's size to create a consistent 10", 12" or 16" effective grilling zone. Just need something to hold the lump. Zone or small cooks on the xl egg is one of the cooker's true secrets, more folks should take advantage of this capability.

The xl egg has more dome headroom than its common competition. This is key when trying to do multi-level cooks or push grids up. We can go 3 grids for ribs in the xl egg, with the lowest grid at the felt line. We've smoked 9 racks of ribs flat, no rib rack. Key here is the lowest grid is at the felt line - don't have to take the set-up apart to get at the ribs/food. We can't do this in any of the other common xl ceramic grills.

Many ceramics have screw in thermometers. The thermometer stem can interfere with grid space when in the dome, especially with big pizza stones. Grill manufacturers minimize the interference by selling half moon style expander grids. To me, that's wasting great space, using a half grid up in the dome. The eggs have clip in thermometers, so you can easily draw the thermometer up and out of the way, when needed. One major ceramic manufacturer switched last year to screw in thermometers. End result, can't do a brisket on the upper racks - thermometer sticks the brisket.

Any set-up that involves multiple grids, you need to consider grid spacing and placement. If grid spacing is less than 4 inches and the top grid is at the felt line, it's a hassle set-up. Half grid configurations can compound the hassle. It's best to get grids up whenever possible for easier access to the lower grid. Again, this is where the xl egg's headroom is a plus.

Lifting a loaded 24" grid set-up (stone, grid(s), food, platform) out of a grill is just asking for trouble. It's a lot to ask of your hands to act as folgrum points with such a wide load. On average, most bbq cooks are simple one grid cooks - brisket, couple butts or 3 racks or ribs. Again, we use the xl egg's high dome to set-up above the fire ring. With the entire set-up above the fire ring, you can access the lump, open the cooker up for better airflow and see under the indirect stone to check the lump. Once the set-up is in the egg, you are done dealing with it.

I'm not sure if these points make sense, I did them quickly. Safe to say, we've run a large number of ceramic style grills through our shop: chargiller, big green egg, primo, kamado joe, vision, grill dome, pit boss and new weber summit. If I could be pick on and trick it out, it's the xl egg.

t

I have had my Big Joe for about 2 weeks and was finally able to fire it up this past weekend. Cooked 4 whole chickens. Shocked at how easy it was to maintain 350 degrees. But I will say this, having cooked on Green Eggs and a Primo XL Oval that a buddy has, I think they all cook about the same. Find the best deal you can on one and jump in.

Attachments

• IMG_0485.jpg
    IMG_0485.jpg
    69.9 KB · Views: 92
  • IMG_0488.jpg
    IMG_0488.jpg
    82.2 KB · Views: 92
I think a view of tjv's company website will help demonstrate:

https://ceramicgrillstore.com

I have and love many of his items. I use them in my large BGE and bubba keg. The adjustable rig would technically work in my xl egg too. I just haven't bought the xl version, I have the older squaty xl BGE dome.

Well that makes sense. As I spent around an hour in their website today looking at items and watching videos. And pricing items out. Very interesting indeed

• Thanks
Reactions: tjv

Here are a couple things to consider when looking at ceramic grills.

The xl egg's lump grate is approx. 17.5" in diameter. Bigger lump grates provide more flexibility with grilling cooks. A bigger lump grate means the lump does not roll up the firebox as fast. Thus, the effective area available for a level lump burn is greater. In a nutshell, you can sear steaks/burgers or grill chicken at the same temps near the edge of the cooking grid as at the middle of the cooking grid.

A larger lump grate let's you be more creative on how you divide the firebox. You don't really need a stone to zone the cook. We can divide the firebox left/right, front/back or in partial circle segments. We can shrink the firebox down in size to do small grilling cooks. Use the 17.5" lump grate's size to create a consistent 10", 12" or 16" effective grilling zone. Just need something to hold the lump. Zone or small cooks on the xl egg is one of the cooker's true secrets, more folks should take advantage of this capability.

The xl egg has more dome headroom than its common competition. This is key when trying to do multi-level cooks or push grids up. We can go 3 grids for ribs in the xl egg, with the lowest grid at the felt line. We've smoked 9 racks of ribs flat, no rib rack. Key here is the lowest grid is at the felt line - don't have to take the set-up apart to get at the ribs/food. We can't do this in any of the other common xl ceramic grills.

Many ceramics have screw in thermometers. The thermometer stem can interfere with grid space when in the dome, especially with big pizza stones. Grill manufacturers minimize the interference by selling half moon style expander grids. To me, that's wasting great space, using a half grid up in the dome. The eggs have clip in thermometers, so you can easily draw the thermometer up and out of the way, when needed. One major ceramic manufacturer switched last year to screw in thermometers. End result, can't do a brisket on the upper racks - thermometer sticks the brisket.

Any set-up that involves multiple grids, you need to consider grid spacing and placement. If grid spacing is less than 4 inches and the top grid is at the felt line, it's a hassle set-up. Half grid configurations can compound the hassle. It's best to get grids up whenever possible for easier access to the lower grid. Again, this is where the xl egg's headroom is a plus.

Lifting a loaded 24" grid set-up (stone, grid(s), food, platform) out of a grill is just asking for trouble. It's a lot to ask of your hands to act as folgrum points with such a wide load. On average, most bbq cooks are simple one grid cooks - brisket, couple butts or 3 racks or ribs. Again, we use the xl egg's high dome to set-up above the fire ring. With the entire set-up above the fire ring, you can access the lump, open the cooker up for better airflow and see under the indirect stone to check the lump. Once the set-up is in the egg, you are done dealing with it.

I'm not sure if these points make sense, I did them quickly. Safe to say, we've run a large number of ceramic style grills through our shop: chargiller, big green egg, primo, kamado joe, vision, grill dome, pit boss and new weber summit. If I could be pick on and trick it out, it's the xl egg.

t

Thank you for the info. I was actually on your site today checking videos out and looking at all the ways you can configure things. Didn't know that was your deal. Pretty good stuff there and that info along with the fact I have an Egg dealer close to me and no Kamado Joe has me leaning BGE at this time. When in fact I thought I wanted the new Kamado Joe.

I'm curious it looks like you guys recommend the 17.5 stone for most everything but also offer a 19. What are the pros and cons to that? I would think you'd want less gap between the stone and walls for less hot spots?

Another question I had was would the platesetter be worthless if a guy was gonna get some of your accessories?

Funny also you mention small zone cooks I was wondering how that would work as going from a Lehman to xl I didn't want to burn through a lot of lump just to cook up an occasional steak or burger.

• Thanks
Reactions: tjv
I see no advantage to a platesetter style deflector over the much more flexible options from Ceramic Grill Store. I have a pair of their Spiders for my Pit Boss and one of both gets used on the vast majority of my cooks. I can use it with 2 half stones for indirect, one for half and half, with a smaller Weber grate to get close to the coals for searing, or inverted to raise the cooking grates further from the coals.

The plate setter has two positions, full deflection down and full deflection up. It was a useful tool in its time, but that time has passed and there are better designs now.

I'm curious it looks like you guys recommend the 17.5 stone for most everything but also offer a 19. What are the pros and cons to that? I would think you'd want less gap between the stone and walls for less hot spots?

Another question I had was would the platesetter be worthless if a guy was gonna get some of your accessories?

We recommend the 17.5 more often as it works with both the xl woo and xl rig. the 19" only fits the xl woo.

On newer model xl eggs, we can use the xl rig with the platesetter for super raised or multi-grid cooks. On older model, original, xl eggs, the xl rig does not work with the platesetter. the dome won't close. Same issue with the Kamado Joe Big Joe, as it is a take off on the older xl egg dome.

t

We recommend the 17.5 more often as it works with both the xl woo and xl rig. the 19" only fits the xl woo.

On newer model xl eggs, we can use the xl rig with the platesetter for super raised or multi-grid cooks. On older model, original, xl eggs, the xl rig does not work with the platesetter. the dome won't close. Same issue with the Kamado Joe Big Joe, as it is a take off on the older xl egg dome.

t

PM sent with more questions as to not derail the thread too bad. thanks

Back