Kamado Joe Vs Big Green Egg

I have a kamado joe classic. I cook primarily for the wife and I. I have had it for 1.5 years and love it. The KJ was the best dressed for the price when I did my homework at the time. I just did a 14lb brisket last weekend on it and it fit nicely. 99% of my cooking fits on the main grate. I've only wanted a larger cook surface of certain or twice.

I bought a floor model at a discounted price. When I got it home I found a couple holes broken out by the lower vent I hadn't seen at the store. I called KJ and a new lower bowl was shipped out to me with no whining involved. I have heard nothing but stellar reviews on their customer service. They stand behind their product. At the same time they seem to be continually improving their smokers.

+1 to this. Bang for the buck you can't beat the KJ, as it comes with nest, side tables, grates, and a few tools. They are great cookers that will enable you to do just about anything, the only draw back is the amount of cooking space...

They are almost identical products though the KJ is better deal based on the accessories. The new version of the KJ might be better overall though probably should wait to see how it works in the real world. (though now that I think of it, the price went up as well)

The Primo's oval shape is definitely worth considering as well. Ultimately it's more money (including accessories) but the shape is nice.

Primo Oval XL just me and some of my Internet friend. My living breathing friends and relatives have large BGE. They are nice. I've got two friends that recently bought pellet cookers. What Im saying you've posed a common Ford versus Chevy and Pontiac versus Olds question. They'll both get you to the Drive In.

Cost
Warranty
Manufacturers Country of Origin
Color
Freebies
Stand versus Cart

There's probably more. Bottom line for me- your happy cooking and posting then Im learning.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: EdF
Another vote for the Weber Summit Charcoal Grill. You should at least consider it as it's cost competitive with the BGE XL (and has the same cooking area). Plus, it won't crack, it has superior insulative properties (compared with ceramic), it has a quicker temperature recovery time if you overshoot temps. The grill center is really nice with the table and charcoal bin.

I really don't see how a metal grill could have superior insulation to a ceramic - brands notwithstanding.

That's not an argument against the Summit which is a fine piece of rig, just a statement of observation and deduction.

I really don't see how a metal grill could have superior insulation to a ceramic - brands notwithstanding.

That's not an argument against the Summit which is a fine piece of rig, just a statement of observation and deduction.

It's the air inbetween the outer and inner steal walls that supplies the supperior insulation property, as air has a thermal conductivity of 0.024 vs ceramic's 0.47 (fire brick). Meaning fire brick transmits thermal energy more effectively than does air.

I love my Primo xl. The oval shape is what sold me over the BGE. With that said, you won't go wrong with a kamado style cooker. I also own an Akorn, and it turns out great food. The plus for the Akorn is that its light enough to throw in the back of a pick up truck if need be.

I've had a primo oval xl for about 8 years. On third fire box ring as my flirtation with neo pizza wasn't good for the ring (or the bands either). All the ceramics r great. I like the primo for the space it gives u. I am getting a joe jr for the camper as I think kamado joe gives u a lot of value for the money (all the accessories it comes with)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Think it depends on how much space you need to cook regularly. It's usually 3 of us - maybe up to 6, 3 times a year so the KJ classic. But if I had the coin would consider the primo.......

Ceramic has an R value of about 1 per inch
Fiberglass insulation has an R value of about 4 per inch

The keg has fiberglass insulation between the metal. If you allow the fire to get too hot its impossible to get it back down. This is a bad thing. The WCSG does not suffer like the Keg on this issue. The WSCG is much easier to control temps with.

Ceramic kamados will absorbe the heat and make it easier to controll temp.

The Keg is a great cooker but once you.screw up the twmp your done for.

Last edited:
  • Thanks
Reactions: EdF
I agree with your comments. I picked up a Large BGE in '02 and it has served us well. But looking at this year's KJ upgrades, and the COSTCO opportunity, I would probably go with it for value if I were replacing the BGE.

I agree. Unless there is some great improvemnet over the KJs my next Kamado purchase will most likely be a KJ. I was able to get my 19" Saffire Grill Kamado brand New In Box with stainless steel cart for $500.00. Otherwise I would have bought a Kamado Joe.

One thing I dont like about the BGEs is that the lids can slip from the bands and break. The kamado I have has an extra bead of ceramic on the lid and body so that the likelihood of the bands slipping is greatly reduced. Saffire even recommends using the table brackets to lift the unit into position.

Whoa, whoa, whoa .... get rid of WSM for a kamado? I think you meant add a kamado to your arsenal that already includes your WSM. There you go, I helped you right there. Your welcome.

I have five eggs and a bubba keg. I doubt the KJ is much different than the eggs, pick your favorite color, and also base it on price. Now the bubba keg, that's an efficient machine right there. Sometimes I think too efficient. Fine grill but I find I use the eggs more. But my favorite smoker is the WSM. Food is better on it than on the kamado. Yep, I said it.

Whoa, whoa, whoa .... get rid of WSM for a kamado? I think you meant add a kamado to your arsenal that already includes your WSM. There you go, I helped you right there. Your welcome.

I have five eggs and a bubba keg. I doubt the KJ is much different than the eggs, pick your favorite color, and also base it on price. Now the bubba keg, that's an efficient machine right there. Sometimes I think too efficient. Fine grill but I find I use the eggs more. But my favorite smoker is the WSM. Food is better on it than on the kamado. Yep, I said it.

Why do you think the food on your WSM tastes better then on your kamado?

Summit and insulation

It's the air inbetween the outer and inner steal walls that supplies the supperior insulation property, as air has a thermal conductivity of 0.024 vs ceramic's 0.47 (fire brick). Meaning fire brick transmits thermal energy more effectively than does air.

You totally win that disagreement! ;-)

I agree the Keg is too efficient at timess.

Back