Just Got The Call

CT-Mike

is one Smokin' Farker
I just got off the phone with Tyler from SF and we firmed up my build list. He will be sending me a final quote in the next day or so, and pick up is scheduled for 18FEB.

Here is my build list:

- 30x80 elevated straight back cabinet model with insulated fire box
- 3rd grate in chamber, bottom grate has eye bolts at each of the 4 corners
- 6' wide trailer
- Rotated warmer
- SS shelf in front of warmer and chamber
- Dual propane burners, tank holder, and griddle top
- Wood basket
- Both dampers
- 3 grates in warmer
- Remote grease drain
- SS cool touch handles
- Diamond plate fenders
- Mounted spare
- Personalized logo
- Hip roof on warmer
- Sausage hangers
- 6 probe inserts (4 on chamber, 2 on warmer)
- 3 Tel-Tru ports (2 on chamber, 1 on warmer)
- 24x72" SS table in front of chamber across width of trailer, with grease trough for pulling pigs, prep, etc
- Tandem axles with trailer brakes each axle
- Locking storage with doors under pig pulling table
- Davit/hand winch assembly for moving whole pig from SS shelf in front of chamber to SS pig pulling table. (Allows one person to move the pig by themselves)

I am so pumped I can't stand it. I also can't say enough about how great dealing with the boys at Shirley Fab has been. I first started talking to Tyler about this back in November 2015, and he has never once lost patience with all of the emails, changes, etc.

If you are in the market for a wood fired RF smoker, give Tyler a call. The only downside is the current 12 month wait, which is a nice problem for the SF boys to have.

Last edited:
Congrats.that sounds likes its going to be an impressive cooker.. But then again all Shirley's are impressive. Can't wait to see it.when they call and say they have started the build that is like when you were a kid waiting for Christmas Day.

Man I can't wait to see the pig winch/ SS shelf assembly. Sounds great.

I shamelessly stole the idea from a friend. I helped him cater a wedding back in October. He converted an old oil tank. The davit/winch can be seen in this photo.

Last edited:
Congrats! Sounds like I could store my little shirley in their to keep it out of the weather.

Hey Mike, will the winch be removable or permanently attached? That's a great idea. See if Tyler would post the build pics to the Facebook page!

Wow that is going to be an incredible beast, congratulations... I'm sure the 18th can't come soon enough.

Wow, that's a beast! I'm seriously going to show up on your doorstep one of these days

Sounds fantastic!
It's great being able to have something built to your custom specifications.
I'm sure the Shirley crew will be up to the challenge.

So after some back and forth with Tyler, there are a couple of small changes:

- Adding in the block off plate between the firebox and cook chamber for when I'm using the warmer alone
- Need to add a lighted license plate holder and rear reflectors to meet CT DMV laws
- Trying to decide if I want to go with a removable tongue and safety chains to help prevent theft.

Once I get it home, I will definitely be adding a Tile GPS tracking device to an out of the way spot on the trailer so that I can track it down if it does goes missing.

Still on the fence about whether or not to add one of the charcoal grills as well to give a spot for burgers, dogs, etc when doing parties, catering gigs, etc.

Thoughts?

Back