Just gave a judging class to corporate staff

Pife

Full Fledged Farker
Name or Nickame
Earl
At a corp event today, it was catered by a local bbq joint. So i gave the staffers a quick guideline to KCBS judging criteria, made a scorecard on the whiteboard and sampled/discussed each piece of meat with the team.

Before we ate, they were all excited about lunch. After judging, most agreed with my very mediocre scores.

I hope i didn't ruin the simple joy of eating bbq for a bunch of IT guys. But we all had fun!

That's hysterical. My wife and kids are tired of hearing my scoring of BBQ when we eat out.

Of course she also gets mad when we watch TV and I try to explain why the IT guy on the show is full of BS because of the IP subnet he is using.

Kinda the same thing...right?

We have bbq catered in for certain events at my workplace.

After we get done eating, some will turn around and ask me how I graded it. I'm not sure how I got tagged with being the resident BBQ snob as I'm anything but.

I'm not a judge- don't want to be one- but I know what I like and I know what I hold myself to. I'm glad I'm not in the business. I can cook what I want, when I want and not worry about it paying the bills. Restaurant/ catering would be a tough gig- I try not to get nasty with comments. I might think them- but I try not to let them get said out loud.

What's with IT dudes and cooking BBQ? It's not the majority of the time, but often I get to chatting it up at a comp and I get either the, "I'm in IT." or "I used to be in IT." Crazy... Oh, and I'm in IT! It must be how we are wired...

What's with IT dudes and cooking BBQ? It's not the majority of the time, but often I get to chatting it up at a comp and I get either the, "I'm in IT." or "I used to be in IT." Crazy... Oh, and I'm in IT! It must be how we are wired...

GUILTY!!! :wacko:

When you folk speak (write actually) of IT what does that really mean? Not Information Technology, but what is it you do? System/Network Administration? Or does it encompass something else, such as design and implementation of various systems?

It's because we spend our days in a highly technical world, and barbecue is a 180* opposite primal activity, IMO. I think that's why I'm so attracted to it, at least. Well...that and I like to eat good food, and the best way to eat good food consistently is to make it yourself.

Hi, fellow IT dude here LOL.

I agree. I choose BBQ as my hobby because it is the opposite of my normal...I'm also Texan so that might have influenced it a bit too..

BUT, I get to hang outside and enjoy the process without a lot of inputs while having a beer. The baby boy is coming up on 1 year old too, so I'm excited to get to share this with him as well. Life is more than screens, I just get to make a living by said screens :laugh:

After we get done eating, some will turn around and ask me how I graded it. I'm not sure how I got tagged with being the resident BBQ snob as I'm anything but.

I AM a BBQ judge. At all of the family events I have and sometimes business, there are always people who say, "that probably wasn't up to your level of bbq", or a similar statement to yours. I will always let them know it is good, or if it isn't good, I will tell them what I liked the most. Sometimes, I will explain the judging criteria and how a bbq judge comes to a conclusion. Unless I am really good friends with someone, or they were looking to compete in BBQ, I will refuse to give a score :nono:

Back