THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I heard we did 21,000 meals yesterday and would love to know what we did today - felt like more. I also heard that someone is going to set up a photo bucket account to post & view photos. I'll post the link when I get it.

Man, that was a life changing experience for me(along with everyone else)...

Operation BBQ Relief is going to become a major part of disaster relief from now on...

A long term organization is in the works...

Jeff, we seemed to have everything under control since Randy was keeping track of requests for food and had plenty of meat in the smokers/cambros. Then all of a sudden the requests tripled. We started filling every square inch of all the smokers and cooked frantically. Thankfully two more smokers pull into the lot and they were lit immediately. I had to leave about 2:00 so don't know how everything panned out and felt bad about having to turn over 12 full pans of chicken in the Caveman Cuisine's smoker over to another cook, but I hit the proverbial brick wall and just couldn't go anymore emotionally, mentally & physically - I was just shot. I don't know how the folks that have been there since Tuesday can do it - they must be Supermen and Superwomen disguised as BBQers.

I'll post more thoughts and photos later once I have a chance to put them together.

Man, that was a life changing experience for me(along with everyone else)...

Operation BBQ Relief is going to become a major part of disaster relief from now on...

A long term organization is in the works...

I would like to know about the long term organization

BIG BIG props to all of you doing this!!

Kim was keeping us updated all weekend, the stories are heartbeaking, the pictures are mind boggling and the amount of people that you have helped is absolutely amazing!

You all should be very proud of yourselves, we are all proud to call you our friends!

I would like to throw out a public THANK YOU to Richie Allen (barnburner) for all he has done the Operation BBQ Relief for Joplin. He is a local resident and a member of our BBQ family (he has cooked with at least two teams and is a Master CBJ). He has been on site helping out since day one, putting in at least 12 hours a day doing anything and everything asked of him. Not only does he live minutes away from the storm damage, his wife, Sara, works at one of the business that was destroyed by the tornado (thankfully she was not at work that day). They gave me a place to stay along with a much needed and appreciated shower while I was down there and he has offered the same to others. Richie and Sara are a wonderful and humble couple and would never ask for recognition, but deserve it none the less. I can’t believe how open and caring these two are in the face of the devastation they are living with, but that’s just Richie and Sara – two truly great people! While others are getting much deserved praise for their tireless work, Richie is one of our unsung heroes.

So Richie, yet once again THANK YOU!!!

There are many heros out of this deal(including Richie), but the big one is Will Cleaver from Sticks and Chicks. He was the ramrod of the operation on the ground. He worked tirelessly from tuesday on, and as far as i know is still there.

The people of Joplin are very lucky to have had Will leading us on the ground. I only hope I can do the same if in a similar situation.

If you ever see Sticks and Chicks at a comp, go shake his hand and buy him a drink. He deserves that and a lot more.

I just finished up-loading some photos from my weekend in Joplin.

The link to the album is at Operation BBQ Relief for Joplin

Please note that this is just an album of my photos, not the official album. When that one is up and running, I will share the link.

Joplin2011-05-2814-PeoplearrivingonsiteforaBBQmeal.jpg

Please keep the people in your thoughts and prayers!

There are so many incredible people to thank over the last week now. I'll leave it to just a short list but please do not be offended if not mentioned. There are (were) just so many superstars there helping.

Will Cleaver... I had never met the man before but he is truly amazing. He came and absolutely kicked ass. Will was there over a week literally going non-stop. I can't remember a time ever seeing him sitting down taking a break and only remember seeing him just a few times even drinking some water. Thank you Will!! You deserve a round of drinks from the entire BBQ community. If anyone ever sees Will, please go and shake his hand, tell him thank you for what he did because it was truly amazing.

Randy from HalfSauced BBQ. If anyone is ever within 250 miles of his restaurant in Osage Beach, MO, hell within the entire state of MO, please stop in and patronize his business. Randy truly deserves it. Randy showed up on Tuesday and was still there yeserday (Monday) 7 days straight. I had also never met Randy before but the guy is an absolute machine. Randy is another man that in 7 days, I really never seen him sitting down, eating anything, or drinking any water at all. All I ever seen Randy doing was busting his ass, non-stop. At the very least, Randy deserves and ice cold beer, a hand-shake, and a manly hug telling him how much he was appreciated down here.

Stan Hayes and Jeff Stith are also at the very top of the list. Both of these guys busted their asses too working non-stop trying to feed people.

Lee- This guy has the heart of a lion. Lee, much like Will and Randy just never stopped and never quit. Lee was here about 7 days too and he truly did an amazing job.

Walt from Dead Pigs- Walt worked and worked and worked non-stop and I really enjoyed meeting him. Walt is a great guy and deserves a cold beer with a thank you. Anyone who sees him, please recognize the blood, sweat, and tears he and his wife put into this effort.

Tim Gray- Tim got 50,000 lbs of chicken donated and then turned around and got another 50,000 lbs. Tim worked his ass off, went home and worked his regular job and then came back and worked here and did this for the better part of a week. Thank you Tim!!

Michelle Higgins- She showed up and busted her ass taking food non-stop all over this town time and time again. Michelle is a great asset to the BBQ community and if you see her, please tell her thanks for all she did.

Jon- Also from Chicks N Sticks. Jon showed up and never stopped from the time he got here. Jon worked and worked and, I commend him. Much like all the rest, I really never seen Jon sitting down taking a break. Jon was always busting his ass for someone.

Marc Matthews- FunnyFarmBBQ. Marc came down on a Friday evening and left Sunday around 2 pm. In that time, Marc maybe slept 8 hours total. When Will was looking for someone to stay up all night tending to a smoker that wasn't even his to provide food for the next day, Marc volunteered. Marc was here about 45 hours and worked non-stop about 40 of those 45. I know Marc will be at the contest in Lee's Summit this weekend, please go shake his hand and tell him thanks for all he did.

There are many, many, others and I wish I could remember them all to recognize them because each and every one of them deserve it. I want to personally thank each individual that came because we really KICKED ASS and made a difference!

Back