Jirby

16Adams

somebody shut me the fark up.

Batch Image
Batch Image
Ok, couple of hours of YouTube videos. Selection was Jirby BBQ of Goldees, currently holding the title of Texas Monthly #1 of Top 50. He doesn't use a pellet cooker, awesome -&he likes Lawry's and jabs I think at pitmasters who use it but allegedly don't admit it. I think that's what his laugh was for when proclaiming he was first to use Lawry's. He slathers, his rub is basic, he cuts corners - literally every piece of meat he cut the corners off, he used an eco friendly lighter fluid- didn't know there was such a thing, he cooked in an offset. Offset is my favorite cooker when studying BBQ videos. His voice put me to sleep-twice but I awakened quickly. Can't say he's my favorite YouTuber but dang he throws out some awesome info. I recommend if you haven't watched any of his YouTube.

This old dog learnt some new tricks

Last edited:
I'm a fan for sure. He's one of my favorite Youtube BBQ guys and I've learned a lot from his videos. I think as far as pure BBQ knowledge goes, he's one of the most valuable BBQ channels out there. And I love that he's pretty much the only guy that is calling out certain BBQ "rules" as total BS. He tells it like it is. I also think he's pretty funny so there's that too.

But... I have to be honest that I do think he's a little arrogant and somewhat douchey at times with some of the things he says. It's like... your place got the #1 spot on the TMTF list, and that's awesome and definitely something to be super proud of, but be humble dude. But he's young and hopefully he'll learn that in due time. I just hope he doesn't shoot himself in the foot with his mouth.

He CLEARLY has beef with Aaron Franklin and has said flat out Aaron's public persona is totally fake and he's not a nice guy at all. I'm DYING to know what the deal is and what started this beef. Like damn... what did Aaron do to piss you off so much? lol

I'm a fan for sure. He's one of my favorite Youtube BBQ guys and I've learned a lot from his videos. I think as far as pure BBQ knowledge goes, he's one of the most valuable BBQ channels out there. And I love that he's pretty much the only guy that is calling out certain BBQ "rules" as total BS. He tells it like it is. I also think he's pretty funny so there's that too.

But... I have to be honest that I do think he's a little arrogant and somewhat douchey at times with some of the things he says. It's like... your place got the #1 spot on the TMTF list, and that's awesome and definitely something to be super proud of, but be humble dude. But he's young and hopefully he'll learn that in due time. I just hope he doesn't shoot himself in the foot with his mouth.

He CLEARLY has beef with Aaron Franklin and has said flat out Aaron's public persona is totally fake and he's not a nice guy at all. I'm DYING to know what the deal is and what started this beef. Like damn... what did Aaron do to piss you off so much? lol

Like Gilmore and Waters. Perhaps someday we'll know

Watched on your recommendation.

Was ok - did not subscribe- just not my cup of whatever.

I think I'd much rather see you do a video than catch another from Jirby.

I tried to muscle thru a few of his videos but they don't hold my ADD as well as other people. I saw some interesting tips but I couldn't power thru a whole video. That could be partially because of my 7 year old, ADHD son acting crazy? I really don't understand dumping beef tallow over the top of the finished, wrapped briskets to add "juice". I can maybe see if it seals off the paper and wont allow as much moisture to escape? However, he did place 1st on the list so he knows his stuff for sure.

Using lighter fluid is not new, Myron Mixon used lighter fluid in one of those versions of BBQ Pitmasters.

But I don't care if its Myron fricken Mixon or Jerby , I'm not gonna use lighter fluid. I do what I've done and what works for me.

Using lighter fluid is not new, Myron Mixon used lighter fluid in one of those versions of BBQ Pitmasters.

But I don't care if its Myron fricken Mixon or Jerby , I'm not gonna use lighter fluid. I do what I've done and what works for me.

But it was "eco friendly" lighter fluid. I still haven't googled to see what that is.yet

I started to watch 3 of them, didn’t finish any.
He needs to fix that wobbly table, drove me nuts.

Watched on your recommendation.

Was ok - did not subscribe- just not my cup of whatever.

I think I'd much rather see you do a video than catch another from Jirby.

I do not subscribe to any channel. This was a to do watch having read he uses Lawry''s. We used Lawry''s on everything growing up, but we were grillers, boilers, broilers and fried family. Cannot remember ever smoking anything until in my 20's.

Jirby videos had some good tips that sometimes were reminders of lost knowledge.I really enjoy Chuds BBQ YouTube's and look forward to his new releases. On my device and TV they've started multi minute commercials so not watching quite as often as I was.

Next up Babyback Maniac and or Harry Soo. Haven't checked videos by them in a couple years

I really don't understand dumping beef tallow over the top of the finished, wrapped briskets to add "juice". I can maybe see if it seals off the paper and wont allow as much moisture to escape? However, he did place 1st on the list so he knows his stuff for sure.

I totally get what your saying, BUT... not only did his place get #1 on the TMTF list, he also worked at three other TMTF places, and all of the other owners of Goldee's also worked at several different TMTF spots. That's how collectively they learned everything they needed at such a young age to run a hugely successful spot that earned them their own #1 spot on the list, and in less than 2 years of being open.

From comments he's made in a couple different videos he's pretty much saying ALL of the spots on that list do this, it's an industry wide trick, not something they came up with themselves. He learned it from the places he worked at before opening Goldee's. He did also say though that it's NOT a cure all and he can still tell if a brisket is dry, and "if your brisket is dry and you use a bunch of tallow, your not good at cooking brisket, your just good at dumping tallow over dry meat" lol

He also said this is mainly for aesthetics, because when a customer is at the cutting block and they grab a new brisket out of the warmer and open it up, the tallow gives the visual of a brisket that is super wet a juicy, and it just looks better to the customer than unwrapping a brisket with dry bark wrapped in dry paper. Almost like it's a psychological thing for the customers.

I do think it probably helps some due to the fact that those briskets have all been sitting in their paper wrap, in a warmer, for over 12 hours though.

What's funny is I've been using the overnight Sous Vide rest method for the last several months, and the briskets come out very similar to a tallow soaked paper wrap, because the vac seal pulls a little of the rendered fat out (just a little), and the briskest sits in it during the whole rest and when I pull them out of the vac seal they have that exact same tallow soaked appearance.

Last edited:
Details on this please!
I'm using a turkey roaster as a holding oven. Yours sounds like a better solution.
Thanks!

Sure... not really much to tell though. I got the idea from Chud's channel, and it works great. I do plan to get a real warmer, but until I do this is the method I'm using exclusively. I like the overnight rest in general because it just makes things way easier and more convenient... no waking up at the crack of dawn to make sure the brisket is done with enough time to rest for at least two hours before dinner, no super LATE dinners, and no staying up all night the night before to do an overnight cook. There's just no need for any of that. As long as I get the brisket on by 11AM, I'm good.

Once the brisket is done, I let it come down to about 140ish which usually takes about 1 1/2 to 2 hours, then I vac seal it and put it in Sous Vide bath with the circulator (Anova in my case) set at 141. They always come out GREAT. Never had a problem. The last one I did, a few unexpected things came up and the rest ended up being way longer than I intended, it sat in the Sous Vide bath for a little over 24 hours, It was STILL perfect.

Aside from a professional warmer, this to me is the best way for a back yard cook to rest a brisket. And as I mentioned previously, the come out with the same exact appearance as the tallow soaked paper wrap briskets from all the big Texas joints.

And no... the bark does not rub off as long as you make sure your bark is set correctly. Personally, I use the foil boat wrap method in conjunction with the Sous Vide rest, which works out perfectly.

Here's Chud's video on it that gave me the idea. Only difference is he sets his circulator at a higher temp, but I prefer to set at 141. Most places set their warmers at 140... and the USDA says you can hold food at 135 for 8 hours, or at 140 indefinitely. The Sous Vide is as stable as it gets, it fluctuates maybe 0.5 degrees, but I'd just rather set it to 141 just because.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AohVgovKI4A

Last edited:
He's the new Rowdy Roddy Piper of the BBQ world. I'm fine with that. Aaron's saccharine smile and awe-shucks demeanor can start to grate on the nerves after a while. Jerby is a heel for sure, maybe not the heel we deserved, but the heel we need.

I’m not questioning his ability…it seems evident he knows what he’s doing. What I struggle to get past is his attitude. I don’t appreciate his approach to his competition (and previous employer?). That’s not to say I wouldn’t try his food. I’m just going to ignore his videos and interviews.

As I said earlier, Jirby has an attitude—one I don't personally mind, he's doing it for sh*t and giggles. His proper BBQ videos, as opposed to his BBQ drama & Smash livestreams, are a goldmine of real-world tips; I'm sure he rubs some people the wrong way but if you can go beyond that and detach the attitude from the content for a minute you'll hear honest good advice from, well, a really good cook

I also watch his livestreams where he plays Smash against his viewers while talking BBQ tips&tricks and BBQ drama, and those can be a hit or miss as they go on for hours and he mostly answers questions from the viewers while kicking their butts in-game. Dude gives out free chopped beef and free brisket to people who can beat him during these livestreams, it's hilarious. I really do enjoy and appreciate what he's trying to do, tearing down some myths, and proving how "it's just BBQ" and it doesn't have to be complicated, or secret, or hush-hush

If you can't stand his attitude, which is understandable, try decoupling the man from his words and his knowledge. It's not every day that you see the literal #1 telling you how it is, no gimmicks, no paid content

Last edited:
I didn't watch. I trust y'alls opinion. I'd much prefer he respect the people that helped him get to the top. Even the worst boss I ever had taught me something.

I'm beginning to think Adams is posting these to sit back and watch our responses / bickering. [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I didn't watch. I trust y'alls opinion. I'd much prefer he respect the people that helped him get to the top. Even the worst boss I ever had taught me something.

I'm beginning to think Adams is posting these to sit back and watch our responses / bickering. [emoji1787]

Sent from my SM-G996U using Tapatalk

I can't say I've never done this, but not this time.some interesting tips. Like why to season from on high, his method of brisket trim, the mustard Worcestershire slather, pepper first, etc
Some good information.

Back