It's My Turn to cook for a high - end client -

A California girl's not likely to be impressed by asparagus - it's available here most of the time. But if that's the choice, I'd go for either broiled (EVOO, salt, pepper, and an oven set around 450 - 500 degrees) or maybe Parmesan-crusted. For a different green vegetable, if you have a good source, nopales can be good, and you can grill them. Brussels sprouts are just too gassy - and a California girl can buy whole stalks of the things when they're in season.

I did the Prosciutto Wrapped Asparagus this past weekend with some Beef Ribs and posted a thread about it. I think the Prosciutto is an acquired taste. It was quite salty and a little tangy. I wrapped three pencil thick (or slightly thinner) stalks in one 6" X 2" slice of the meat (deli slice 1). I grilled them indirect, doused them with some garlic butter a couple times during the cook, and sprinkled Parmesan cheese on them at the end. They weren't too hard to make, but did take a little time to wrap. They looked fancy. They tasted good, except for the saltiness and tanginess I mentioned.

IMG_3388_zpsnxtopymp.jpg

IMG_3393_zps9pzvbwdw.jpg

Do you asparagus guys use a peeler on the lower part of the stalks?
I think I ruled out a full Tloin because of grill space.
I'm liking lamb loin chops,2 each, grilled Romaine, 'spargus (not sure if wrapped or not).
Plus, what, 2 ABT's for each who like spicy, 2 wrapped "ABT's" of either red or green pepper for those who don't, and ONE or TWO? pig shots for each....
Thanks for all the great ideas..
It's now 6 people.

Hey srfshane, that's a Heck of a crown roast. I love the pink sliced pic -
you should post a thread. Thanks.

Made those up for me and the wife, and the old vet that I give food to a couple times a week since his old lady passed. Wife and I thought they were salty and tangy, but edible. Haven't seen the vet since, will be this weekend.

Next time I will just use regular, thin sliced bacon...

OK, thanks. Jacques Pepin has a Dijon-canola mix that is quite good on asparagus, could be served on the side. I'm not doing bacon, (that's in the apps) and I guess not Pro-shoot -o either.

The ladies in my house don't like the taste of lamb. My ladies also prefer a filet over a ribeye, I think because of the fat content in a ribeye. They love to eat ribeyes, but prefer a filet. Think about it you lay down a 16 oz ribeye in the middle of a "lady's" plate it looks like too much meat, you lay down a 6 or 8 oz filet it will be more appetizing to a "lady".

These are filet girls, then that is what I would provide. I would give them such a great filet, that every time they ordered one in a restaurant, all they will remember from that point on is the one you cooked.
Just my 2 cents.

I think they would be impressed with a nice chateaubriand. Especially if they always order the fillet. It is reasonably easy to prepare and presentation can be a WOW when you carve it tableside. make a béarnaise sauce or a red wine reduction. Serve with potatoes and salad.

And don't cook something different for you and the wife. Eat what you cook for them if you are eating together. If you don't have enough to fill yourself, hit the drive-thru on the way home.

Salad:
I would cut the pancetta into small 1/2-1" cubes and fan fry. Cast iron if u have it. Do this the day before so u don't have to mess with it. For the romaine, just get some romaine hearts and slice in half lengthwise, put evoo on them and put them on the grill, about 5 minutes turning occasionally so they don't burn. Then use whatever Caesar dressing u like. Cardiniis is really good. Sprinkle the pancetta and some fresh grated parmesano reggianno.

OK, thanks for the replies, just cleaned my PM box.
These are filet girls, then that is what I would provide. I would give them such a great filet, that every time they ordered one in a restaurant, all they will remember from that point on is the one you cooked.
Just my 2 cents.

OK. Your points are well taken.
You don't slap a huge ribeye whole in front of them.
You don't cut it in half, either, like we do at home.
Filets take as much space as 2 lamb chops.

How do you make them the best they have ever had?
I said I'm a ribeye boy, no, last filet I cooked was the whole t'loin 5 years ago.

I think they would be impressed with a nice chateaubriand. Especially if they always order the fillet. It is reasonably easy to prepare and presentation can be a WOW when you carve it tableside. make a béarnaise sauce or a red wine reduction.

WOW when you carve it tableside.
Tell more! Thanks.

A chateaubriand will take up less space on the grill. It's still in the mix - it's
Wednesday, and I am famous for switching at the last minute.

The client of couse is a beefeater, and OKed lamb as being good for all, so that's a green light.
I raised lambs as a 4-Her, I can smash lamb loin and shoulder (which are tastier) chops, (you sit the loin chops on the bone end for awhile, pink in da middle, rosemary, S+P, EVOO) it's something a little different, it's getting on Easter, when Lamb is popular.

Mark I would also humbly suggest getting some oak for the fire. 3 fist sized chunks will make these steaks THE best they ever had. Hell if u drive to me I'll give u some.

Mark I would also humbly suggest getting some oak for the fire. 3 fist sized chunks will make these steaks THE best they ever had. Hell if u drive to me I'll give u some.
I have white oak, (but you can drive down here with the Bernaise! j/k)
So you are saying a chunk of oak w/ the lamb? I was thinking cherry or pecan....
oh I think we have mixed messages..

I have white oak, (but you can drive down here with the Bernaise! j/k)
So you are saying a chunk of oak w/ the lamb? I was thinking cherry or pecan....
oh I think we have mixed messages..
Both cherry and pecan are good with lamb. One small chunk or handful of soaked chips should be enough

I dont have any suggestions. I just want to say that all of these responses are what make this board so great. Everyone gets into it and wants to help out. Ive received tons of suggestions and help when Ive asked for it and I can only hope to repay a fraction of what Ive gotten out of this place. You all are spectacular!

I dont have any suggestions. I just want to say that all of these responses are what make this board so great.

YOUR POST ROCKS, like the board!
And the suggestions have steered the cook. It's Wednesday, cook is Sat.
Thanks to all, nothing is set in stone yet.

Back