It's My Turn to cook for a high - end client -

mchar69

Quintessential Chatty Farker
the catch? I'm a house painter by trade.
A woman called me up. She wanted to remove wallpaper.
I gave her a $550 estimate, it took less than a day, I billed
her $400.
Since then I've done $20 k work on her house, references galore, Angie's list, the whole thing. She trusts me implicitly. I have her house key.
We are friends. We have gone out to dinner for all birthdays, etc.
Now her higher - end sister is in town and it's grill time.
5 people. She's got an OTG18. I think I need more grill space.
I am thinking steaks; when we go out they always order Fillet - I am a Ribeye boy.

Maybe bacon wrapped scallops? I am making a few ABT's.
Veggies? Asparagus is coming on - How about a menu to
knock a rich California girl (age 70) and her sister to smiles?

Not sure how to smash a fillet out of the park....it's been Years.. and the last one was the whole tenderloin.

Filet sounds good or smoked prime rib. Find a butcher that ages meat. 45-60 day dry aged. Or rack of lamb over oak.Lobster tails. Bacon wrapped scallops are good. Grill romaine heads and dress with Caesar dressing pancetta and aged Parmesan.

As always, the best and easiest thing is to get great steaks to begin with, from there, make sure you know how each person likes their steak done. At that point, you are 90% home.

Then it is all about accessorizing said steak. Personally, I am not a filet person, even more so, not a bacon wrapped filet person. My great love is 'au poivre' with filet. The classic demi-glace and black (or green) peppercorn sauce is great. I always enjoy asparagus, or what I really enjoy is fresh steamed green beans, dressed with a nice vinagratte and shaved toasted almonds. A shrimp stuffed mushroom is also a winner on the plate. And with all of this, I prefer Pommes Anna, essentially, a stack of potatoes. However, salt-roasted new potatoes with a little sour cream and fresh herbs if delicious

nope - gotta work most of the day -
Thanks, Sam - this is what I'm looking for -
Grill romaine heads and dress with Caesar dressing pancetta and aged Parmesan.
I am at her house, and I am NOT the cook you are at all Landarc -
Then it is all about accessorizing said steak.
I am going to try to make 5 people happy. Either S+P, or Montreal across the board, with a dab of butter to finish??
Next - my wife and I share a ribeye - is this tacky at someone's house?

I wouldn't share a ribeye. Make one for each or if u do share cook it and slice it on a cutting board then plate for yourself. You can also do steak two ways for everyone then it isn't like u and the wife are eating differently. Filet and make a monster ribeye that you slice and serve table side.

Side idea is sea salted baked potatoes. Use kosher salt with evoo then bake. And do the asparagus too.

SAM YOU HAD 2 hits -
Or rack of lamb
Could do Lamb chops, bet they have never had them off the grill....
And your Romaine IS ON THE MENU! Thanks.
I'm looking at lamb. Rosemary, S+P, and EVOO.

They will be shocked at the Romaine.

Glad to help out. I would grill the asparagus. It tastes great. Can bacon wrap them too. If u are feeling adventurous make a hollandaise :).

Haha I'm new to the area and had to look up where u are. Ure right not far at all. Haha

Another side option is Brussels sprouts with pancetta. Damn tasty but careful u don't overcook.

I'd personally do a smoked prime rib and carve table side. Guarantee they haven't had a great smoked prime rib. Make sure it is a PRIME rib and aged :)

Florentine. 2 Huge Porterhouses.Grilled to perfection,Sliced and plated for an awesome presentation,served Family Style at the table.The grilled Romaine mentioned above.Grilled peaches,pineapple other fruits,and high end vanilla I ream for dessert.vMake sure the Porterhouses are 2 inches thick each,at least.Will me a memorable meal.Roast then,reverse sear.Cook one a little more done than the other.Everybody will be HAPPY!!!

I had a dinner party once, where I used lamb rib chop, marinated in olive oil, rosemary and good black pepper, then fire roasted until crisped, but, rare. Folks complained that there wasn't enough appetizer and could care less about the roasted chicken I had slaved over.

Oh, and Steak Florentine stands out in my mind, one of the best steak dinners I ever had. It was around a 6 pound Porterhouse that had been perfectly grilled

Another side option is Brussels sprouts with pancetta.
The lady DOES NOT WANT BRUSSELS! She has no idea how good they can be I should trick her!
I don't have time for the slow roasted PR, wish I did.
I think I'm hitting thick lamb loin chops, your Romaine, Asparagus,
and tiny potatoes steamed.
I feel I have enough grill space w/ the Lamb chops, 2 per person.
Gonna make a plan.

How about aged thick porterhouse. You get a full fillet and a sirloin strip on a t-bone. King of steaks. Twice baked potato, proscuitto wrapped asparagus, traditional caesar salad. Apps: jumbo shrimp cocktail 3 each, and the scallops. You can prep the salad, and make the dressing at home (garnish with fresh grated parm, squeezed lemon, and a couple anchovies.) Do the whole potato thing at home with whatever you want to stuff them with, brush skin with evoo and sea salt and foil wrap. Prep shrimp and par boil at home for a couple minutes and directly into ice bath. Quick steam on grill and chill before you start the cook. I think you will need one more cooking surface.

Back