It's My Turn to cook for a high - end client -

One more time on a great salad idea - Thanks for the reply
Folks, this has got to be a winner-

Salad:
I would cut the pancetta into small 1/2-1" cubes and fan fry. Cast iron if u have it. Do this the day before so u don't have to mess with it. For the romaine, just get some romaine hearts and slice in half lengthwise, put evoo on them and put them on the grill, about 5 minutes turning occasionally so they don't burn. Then use whatever Caesar dressing u like. Cardiniis is really good. Sprinkle the pancetta and some fresh grated parmesano reggianno.

It will be awesome. I'll be there at 7. I like my lamb and steak medium :)
If you want to drive down 270, then exit at Wisconsin Ave., South,
you will have to hard merge all the way right to take the Pooks Hill road right turn at the light, then go up Pooks Hill Rd. and pass the Pooks Hill Marriott AND YOU ARE WELCOME TO COME EAT (help cook!!!)
SERIOUS. If you want vittles, gotta help in the kitchen!
The guests are 3 old biddies, one 53 year old son who is great but quiet,
and the noisy bunch - me and and my wife! 5:30 Sat. Interested?
You are welcome.
I'm 54 and the slim is 45. The Cali and sister Biddie are young like 70's.
The 83 year old biddie is smarter and probably
in better shape than you and I put together!
Plus smarter than an Encyclopedia, and class, class.
Let me know!

Last edited:
Tell more! Thanks.

A chateaubriand will take up less space on the grill. It's still in the mix - it's
Wednesday, and I am famous for switching at the last minute.

The client of couse is a beefeater, and OKed lamb as being good for all, so that's a green light.
I raised lambs as a 4-Her, I can smash lamb loin and shoulder (which are tastier) chops, (you sit the loin chops on the bone end for awhile, pink in da middle, rosemary, S+P, EVOO) it's something a little different, it's getting on Easter, when Lamb is popular.

I'd suggest getting a full tenderloin and trim it yourself. The benefit would be that you can keep the trimmings for yourself for a later meal. If you get a whole tenderloin and follow the directions here to trim it (I like the Alton Brown version too but now you have to pay to watch it:doh::mad2:: [ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I350woveQUQ"]Beef Tenderloin Prep-Food Network - YouTube[/ame]

Cut it to the size you want and save the rest for another time (cut from the small end and then you can butterfly 1.5" pieces to make decent sized steaks). Rub a little EVOO over the whole thing and season with kosher salt, fresh pepper, and a little cumin. No need to over season. I have become fond of the reverse-sear method since finding it here on this forum, so that method is what I suggest. Place on grill indirect heat at 275-300*. Bring the internal temp up to about 10 degrees below your desired doneness (I stop around 125*) and remove the meat and cover. Raise the temp of the grill hot enough to sear the meat, shouldn't take more than 7-10 minutes with the lid off and return the meat to the grill over direct heat to sear. Once all sides have a proper sear remove from the grill and cover loosely once again.

For the sauce, I prefer a good merlot or cabernet sauvignon, whatever we are drinking with dinner usually. In a pan sauté over medium heat a finely chopped shallot in about 1tbs of evoo till translucent. Pour in 1/2 - 3/4 cup of wine and bring to a boil then reduce to a simmer and stir, allow to reduce by about half then turn off the heat. Add 1 to 1.5 tbs of softened butter and 2 to 3 tsp of dried tarragon (I use the dry stuff cause that's what I got, you'd need less if you find the fresh stuff) and continue stirring until the butter and tarragon are fully combined. The sauce should take about 10-15 minutes to prep, the perfect amount of time for the meat to rest.

Slice the meat into 1.25-1.5 inch steaks and lightly drizzle the sauce onto the meat. Enjoy.:thumb:

There are a bunch of versions of this on the interweb, but this is the way we have grown to like it at my house.

Back