Is winning enough?

Does it have to be sanctioned? Yes - by someone. I want to know it will be judged by a set of rules that is applied evenly and fairly.

Does it have to be a qualifier? YES - IF we should luck into a GC I want that invite.

Does it have to have enough money? Nice but I don't usually make my decision on that alone.

Does it have to have electricity? Yes

Does it have to have the right number of teams? Don't care - SO LONG as there are enough to be a qualifier, so I guess the answer is yes.

Does it have to have "Big Name Teams"? Don't care who is there

Does it have enough potential TOY points? We don't cook enough to be at the top so it doesn't matter, although we MIGHT peek into the top 25 this year in chicken. ;-0

Does it have to be a World Championship? (It is all marketing until you win one. - Myron Mixon) LOL - I don't know what this is - I will tell you if we should ever win one!

Overall I would say that they are all important but we don't make our decisions about where to cook based soley on these items. We like to cook where we have fun and a lot of our friends are cooking

“Big name teams” are a thing of the past I think. 5 years or so ago, yeah, there was an elite few. With classes and a new crop of very talented new cooks out there coming out over the past year or two, the competitions are tougher and tougher. A fellow could guess which 5 would be at the top of a 50 team contest. These days, there’s half of those teams who are fully capable of winning it. I think Bottom Feeding has become extinct. So, in that regard, if a team wins a GC at any contest these days, that is one hell of an accomplishment !

I don't go to a contest not to win. It's always the plan is to win as much as you can, weather it's money, trophies, ribbons or just to hear your name, doesn't matter.
This coming from a team that has never won a GC in the 8 plus years of competing (got to be some sort of a record). We're chopping at the bit to get that first GC really bad..so right now for us, we want that GC at a sanctioned contest so we can get that invite to the Royal. Whatever happens after that happens. Just get that first one and move on from that.

Back