Is winning enough?

Great read, and great thread. It's actually been on my thoughts more this year than before. I have only competed 3 years, but have been fortunate to get calls, no wins but an RGC (Chad, 4 points). Inside joke... This year has been very tough, from team members stepping away to just not turning in good q. I have had 2 of my worst finishes in the last 2 months, I have changed my rubs, sauces and methods. Came 22 out of 74 in Olathe last weekend and was very happy with that. I feel like I am on the right track. But back to the point my perspective changed after being in Joplin.

I have in the past turned and ran when things don't happen on my schedule...but after seeing Joplin and being with the community and with everyone helping out my problems and concerns were not that big of a deal. I love to compete and I love the people I compete against! I can't tell you how many teams reached out to me in the past 2 months offering to listen, advise and tutor. Where else in any type of competition do you see that. I hope to win a comp someday but it will happen when it happens. Until then I will stick with my goals I had at my first comp. Not doing well the past 2 months makes me appreciate even more the calls I have had! It helps my 6 year old was GC...of course I just realized my 6 year old and 8 year old are both GC's and I'm not :( maybe I should let them cook the contest!

1. Have fun
2. Turn in every category
3. Don't DQ
4. See goal #1

If it were just about winning we would have quit a long time ago. I speak for all of us Polocks when I say that we have interests more dear to our hearts than bbq. BBQ is what we do to unwind and have fun. We have job obligations, tuitions to pay, grand kids, babies etc. to worry about now. We are happy to do out two contests a year and have a blast doing them. If we ever win, which I doubt because we don't take it seriously enough, it is just gravy. Seeing everyone and having a good time is good enough for us.

I don't think any of it matters really...
We went to Milwaukee last year, knowing that it would not be a 25 team comp. We went to have fun with our upper midwest friends that we dont see that often!

We cooked Laurie last weekend where the prize money was lower and the drive was longer.... than Olathe.

Ditto going to Mason City vs. the Great Mall contest.
Our first goal is always to have fun. Obviously I want to win, but not at the expense of enjoyment.

I get what you said about the un-sanctioned/backyard events... but I will go cook those too. Many times there is a good charity behind them, and it helps them to be there and cook and drag folks in. We used to cook Greeley KS every year. (Milwaukee took it's place) We may go back this year, just cuz we had a blast there every year, and raised money for the "Town & Country" youth home. And those judges may not like KCBS style BBQ. APWA has one we go to when it fits the schedule, etc.

I do like qualifers, The invitationals are fun, and I do enjoy the JAck and would like a chance to get there... The rest of it is all relative.

We just kind of go where BBQ takes us. I'm open to the adventure, wherever it will lead. I wouldnt have it any other way... its taken us coast to coast, and across a border.

Is being the Grand Champion of a competition enough or...

Does it have to be sanctioned?
Does it have to be a qualifier?
Does it have to have enough money?
Does it have to have electricity?
Does it have to have the right number of teams?
Does it have to have "Big Name Teams"?
Does it have enough potential TOY points?
Does it have to be a World Championship? (It is all marketing until you win one. - Myron Mixon)

My first two grand championships were small non-sanctioned fair type contests. Was far, far from being the Jack, the Royal, or MIM. As GC, I won my entry fee back. And we liked it!!!

Is winning enough for you?

Great topic Todd!
We're still rookies to competing, at least in my eyes. So...
Does it have to be sanctioned? For us, yes
Does it have to be a qualifier? No
Does it have to have enough money? Being able to defray some of the expense by getting a call or two does make it easier to do
Does it have to have electricity? No
Does it have to have the right number of teams? Not sure what that means?
Does it have to have "Big Name Teams"? It's more fun if it does! To know you have beaten one of the best, at least in one category on one given day is an awesome feeling!
Does it have enough potential TOY points? Nah, we'll never be TOY
Does it have to be a World Championship? nah

We spend most of my vacation days in any given year either competing, getting ready to compete, etc. About 15 of my 20 days. If we do 6 comps, as in the last two years, 18, but this year we're sitting at least one out to fix equipment issues

We don't do it just to win, if we did, we'd be a miserable pair! We do it for the fun, the camraderie, the challenge, and yes, for the thrill of a call, on the occaisions we get them. It's the whole package...Oh, and...for the occaisional sightings like this one!:becky:
coz_922.jpg

So is it The Chocolate milk or the The racetrack sponsor on the shirt that fascinates you :becky::becky::becky::becky:

We've never won a GC in a sanctioned contest...we plan to shut the competitive part of the operation down if and when we ever do.

Not sure why you're hammering on him for using the word "you". But in any case, good luck with your plan! Winning GC's does NOTHING for wanting to shut down the competition part of things! Unless winning ONE was your goal from the get-go. Trust me - winning one breeds the desire to cook more and win another. You feed on wins.

I've read a few of these posts say that some people take all of this too seriously. I think the phrase "too seriously" is relative and depends upon what your goals are. Do I take BBQ comps too seriously? To me, it's not too serious but it probably is to 80% of the teams out there. I take everything competitive seriously. I don't even like to lose a board game to my ten year old daughter! LOL! When I look at winning and making money, I realize the more I'm able to do that, the more I get to compete. Without it, I'm sitting on the sidelines. I also look at it like winning will possibly attract sponsors and possibly somehow a contact for a job in the BBQ industry or credentials for putting on classes (not competition recipe/methods classes but backyard BBQ and maybe introduction to competition BBQ type classes). The simple truth is that while 27 contests in 2010 wore me out and to a degree I'm still burnt out, I can't go look at the KCBS rankings without feeling a little sad that last year's run is long since over and done with. It was a blast to get to know so many more folks from all over the country and to have people know who you are that you yourself don't even know. I've also been able to help a few people along the way who needed some BBQ assistance and came to me asking. Me!!! Who would have thought that would ever happen? Not me! But I enjoy giving back to those folks because so many did it for me in prior years. And to me, that's part of why I take it so seriously. I realize I've put pressure on myself to do well and I take full responsibility for that. Too serious? Maybe. Just not to me.

@ Jeff - I think I know excatly what your saying. The more I do well, the more I want to do, but, the biggest reason I didnt cook the AR the first time I was invited was burn out. It wasn't until Tricia quit her job to cater full time and I accepted that she really didnt need me around did I start let go a bit, find balance and begin to really enjoy contests. I have met some very nice people through BBQ and hopefully they are as happy to see me as I am to see them and call them friend.

LOL! Good question, if I could choose, I would take something unique to the comp. Wood would be pretty sweet as well. Sweet Peppers took GC at the get your pig on in Sedona AZ a few weeks back and got this sweet big pig sculpture. I was jealous. ;)

Don't care about winning as long as I catch a good buzz, have a great time with friends and make enough back to cover meat and fuel. That's my huckleberry.

I reckon if I had a ‘team’ of people to split up the costs, to where it’d cost me about $100-150, not $800 out of my pocket, then I’d think I could relax a bit and have a good time and not worry so much about winning or at least recouping my costs. (so, in answering the original question, I look at who the reps are first prize money second, and see what friends will be there.) There’s only 2 times I have fun a BBQ contest. #1, on Thursday nights. (Friday morning to 2:30 Saturday afternoon, pretty much all business) and #2, when I am there at a contest just to visit and hang out. My competition time starts on Tuesday of that week. That’s 5 days I spend concentrating on the competition in one way or another. That is several hours of work, plain and simple, with $800 out of pocket. I do enjoy aspects of that work, but I damn sure do not compete at a contest just to have a good time. If I want to have a great time at a contest and expect nothing else, I’ll visit instead..

Does it have to be sanctioned? Nope
Does it have to be a qualifier? Nope
Does it have to have enough money? Can't say it's not a factor, but it's low on the list.
Does it have to have electricity? Not if they don't mind me running my loud ass generator :)
Does it have to have the right number of teams? Nope
Does it have to have "Big Name Teams"? Beating big names is fun, but I enjoy bragging rights over the local guys more I think.
Does it have enough potential TOY points? No interest.. Gotta compete waaay too often to make a dent.
Does it have to be a World Championship? (It is all marketing until you win one. - Myron Mixon) Maybe someday.. but not for now

Is winning enough for you? I'll let you know when we win one..

Money is nice... It helps us to compete more often. Currently we consider making our money back a success and making more a bigger success. Our RGC from earlier in the year will fund our whole season for the most part.

Will I compete in a contest knowing I have little chance in at least breaking even? Sure.
Will I drive across the country to do it? Nope.

I wish I could remember who it was that said $700 to party is one hell of a cover charge.

If we had a party at home what are we going to save, the contest entry fee? When we cook at a contest, everyone comes out of the woodwork to visit our site because we now only cook local contests. I look at it this way, it's our annual summer party without screwing up my back yard. If we walk it is a bonus.

Heck I never even thought about competing at the Fair -- that my friend is a great Idea!

Competition BBQ has been a great medium for me personally. I typically look at the venue to see if we think we will enjoy it as a team, but like bigger contests in general that offer more than just the 4 basic categories, support charity, etc. Love 30 amp and water hook up.

Winning for me is relative -- it's a great hobby. I liken it to a camping trip except instead of playing cards and domino's we gamble on our cook. I've probably enjoyed putting the whole entity together as much as anything. It's tough to be proficient enough when you only compete 4-6 times per year, so I have to put things in perspective -- but we like to win no doubt.

Win -- I received a ton of support from this group during my deployment to the desert in 2010. My sister and family live in Joplin and I was proud as hell of the folks on this board that went to help out! Not to mention she's a huge part of our team and really enjoys getting out to meet and compete. It's given us a common interest and something we can do together as a family.

In regards to the contests we all want to win and win big -- at Clark Kent we go all out for it for the few we are able to attend -- but no matter which contest you pick there are going to be some fantastic cooks and on any given Saturday -- well you know the story.

Clark

Sanctioning doesn't amtter to me personally. Some of the more fun contests that I've been to have been local events with modified rules- like absolutely no garnish allowed in the box - just meat. I'm not in it for the money either. Yes I am interested in the trophy, otherwise I'd just stay home and BBQ with some friends. Any call for me is having a great perfomance, but it's not required for me to have good time. I'd have a better time if it didn't pour every time I compete, but that's the breaks I guess.

Back