Is this unfair and unequal to you??

professional hair splitter? or do you just play one on the internet?

No, not at all. What G$ was saying is what can happen. For example, turn in brisket at 1:25 p.m. Your box could conceivably sit on the table for a full ten minutes waiting for that one last entry to make it to the table so that your entry wouldn't hit the same table twice. Obviously depends on the number of teams at a cook-off, but the reps try to distribute the various teams so they do not hit the same table twice.

Robert

No, not at all. What G$ was saying is what can happen. For example, turn in brisket at 1:25 p.m. Your box could conceivably sit on the table for a full ten minutes waiting for that one last entry to make it to the table so that your entry wouldn't hit the same table twice. Obviously depends on the number of teams at a cook-off, but the reps try to distribute the various teams so they do not hit the same table twice.

Robert

I know what he was trying to say, he just missed the point. The exception and not the rule was his focus.

Hey...hold the phone here now...just how do you know what I have in my comp kit anyway Mr. Henry? :boxing:

I'm sure that some of you folks have played a hand of black jack or two while in Vegas. Ever wonder why, when you double down, you must make one good before you look at the other? Could it be you might compare the hands prior to making a decision or it might influence your decision on the current hand!

Actually, I was involved in this procedure early on when on the PNWBA board. We found that the time differential was minimal but this was before they started the comment for each score procedure so I can not comment on the time requirement now.

I cook, judge and TC at KCBS events and still believe that the PNWBA procedure, minus the comment cards (due to time restraints), benefit the cooks, period. The food is hot, even after 15 minutes in the CLOSED box, not sitting on your plate, open to the air, for the 10 minutes between box 1 and box 6, not to mention the hold time waiting for enough to fill the tray and get to the table ala KCBS. Also, there is no subconcious comparing of entrie side-by-side on your plate or holding out that "9" just in case.

At a larger contest, the last table judging at a KCBS contest, can still be judging the last entry when the new ones start to arrive. If you don't believe this, go judge and/or TC one. You might be surprised at the time and the pressure to rush placed on the judges to finish as the next is coming in.

I cook IBCA as well, and appreciate Deenas desire not to mix in "the man off the street" with trained judges. If this were to occur, then all the the tables should have been populated with untrained and let the CBJ's tc and other duties. Even mixing them whould have been unfair.

I competed at this event. If you look at the top 1/3 of the field you'll see most of the usual supects. A lot of teams with less experince finished in the lower 2/3rds of the pack.

The judging may not have been perfect, but when is it? I want a contest to be fair, and this one was as fair as any.

Some further analysis from the Morgan Hill contest.

Here's 1st through 3rd place in each category.

Pork Butt
1. OG BBQ # 41
2. 155 South #42
3. Casual Smokers #15

Brisket
1. 155 South #20
2. Too Ashamed To Name #15
3. Smokey's Bar-B-Que #19

Chicken
1. Dads Doing What They Love #9
2. Chain Smokers #16
3. Royal Smokin Hot BBQ #33

Ribs
1. Bad S. BBQ #32
2.155 South Bar-B-Q #42
3. Cecil's Smok'n BBQ #2

# = Turn in order (Box 1 is the 1st turned in, Box 43 is the last in this case)

Tables do NOT have to take boxes in order.

Seems pretty spread around the turn in order.

After chicken, it is my understanding that boxes in a KCBS turn in tray may be held or re-ordered to avoid duplication of judging tables. By definition, this could mean that no, once 6 boxes hit a tray it is NOT immediately taken to a table for judging.

I am not a KCBS Rep or TC. Perhaps one of them can confirm.

As a KCBS TC, this is true... they try NOT to have the same team boxes land twice on the same table. So, yes, after chicken, some boxes may be held so that they will be on a different table.

At my last comp, when the brisket was coming in, boxes were taken out of the trays, and my tray was like 15 minutes before it was ready after the first tray was at the tables before they came to us, so yes, some times, there is a "bottle neck" of boxes being juggled before the TC's get them.

• Thanks
Reactions: G$
Back