Is this unfair and unequal to you??

You know, in a KCBS event, the meet also sits for a bit (not 30 mins.) but I would bet 8 to 10 minutes, while the 6 pieces are being distributed for tasting. And the piece is sitting alone on a piece of paper on a table. And this is after the box was already opened and walked down the table.

Reading the CBBQA thread, it seems some of the folks that judged felt that the judging was fine and that most of the meat was still hot.

Boxes can sit in KCBS - trust me.

sure it can happen, but KCBS doesnt have sitting time built into the turn in process the way other sanctioning bodies do.

My understand is that once 6 boxes hit the tray for turn in, they are taken back to the judges and the process starts. Obviously during the process your box is going to sit, but box 6 isnt going to sit for a significant amount of time longer than box 1, which does not seem like the case for PNWBA events.

Whoa JD I wasnt throwing stones a pnwba..not at all... Cbqqa chose your organization and I was saying that it is unfortunate that they had this issue because of how first impressions travel.... thats all....

I root for the Angels and Albert finally hit his second....

CBBQA chose nothing. CBBQA has no say in what sanctioning body a contest organizer chooses. That is totally up to them. For the ToY program, CBBQA requires that a contest be sanctioned by a nationally recognized sanctioning body to ensure the integrity of the contest and therefore the ToY program. At this point the CBBQA will allow KCBS, IBCA (with certain conditions) and PNWBA. If another sanctioning body were to hold contests in California, CBBQA could potentially approve them as well.

Also, this was not the first PNWBA event in California, so there were no first impressions here either. Stockton last year went off without a hitch and it was a great event for all.

As for Morgan Hill, everyone I talked to thought it was a great event. The only issue seems to be that there was not enough trained judges available and the PNWBA reps chose to run with fewer judges rather than bring in folks off the street. The PNWBA judging system takes a bit longer to judge each entry, but the benefits to the cooks far outweigh the drawbacks IMO. For example, getting comment cards from every judge for every sub category provides a ton of insight.

The contest was well run, teams got a fair judging and everyone had fun.

sure it can happen, but KCBS doesnt have sitting time built into the turn in process the way other sanctioning bodies do.

My understand is that once 6 boxes hit the tray for turn in, they are taken back to the judges and the process starts. Obviously during the process your box is going to sit, but box 6 isnt going to sit for a significant amount of time longer than box 1, which does not seem like the case for PNWBA events.

You hit the nail on the head with this one!..this is exactly what I'm saying..look if all the food is on the table at once it's all cooling at the same rate this is equal..but when your on the last box in PNWBA is judged KCBS would already be into the next category right?..the difference between 8-10 and 30-35 minutes can be a game killer for comp Q.

that is not necessarily true..

After chicken, it is my understanding that boxes in a KCBS turn in tray may be held or re-ordered to avoid duplication of judging tables. By definition, this could mean that no, once 6 boxes hit a tray it is NOT immediately taken to a table for judging.

I am not a KCBS Rep or TC. Perhaps one of them can confirm.

After chicken, it is my understanding that boxes in a KCBS turn in tray may be held or re-ordered to avoid duplication of judging tables. By definition, this could mean that no, once 6 boxes hit a tray it is NOT immediately taken to a table for judging.

I am not a KCBS Rep or TC. Perhaps one of them can confirm.

professional hair splitter? or do you just play one on the internet?

You hit the nail on the head with this one!..this is exactly what I'm saying..look if all the food is on the table at once it's all cooling at the same rate this is equal..but when your on the last box in PNWBA is judged KCBS would already be into the next category right?..the difference between 8-10 and 30-35 minutes can be a game killer for comp Q.

But I dont think that anything was done to break the rules or treat anyone unfairly. They simply followed the rules of the PNWBA. If you dont like those rules, that is up to the individual, but this contest does seem fair in the sense that the rules were followed and applied appropriately.

I think GBA and FBA should take over the WORLD!! I guess they'll have to save California for last... :)

*JOKE*

Guys, I know this comes as some surprise, but there is no 1 sanctioning body that does it all, and none of them are perfect. Most competitors around this area compete in contests sanctioned by a number of sanctioning bodies. Heck, we even have contests where there are 2 sanctioning bodies at 1 competition... Mind you, many think that KCBS is, to quote DRBBQ, the "swinging dick". Nothing wrong with having a preference. They surely sanction the most competitions across the country. But, I wouldn't not compete in another great competition sanctioned by another body just because it wasn't KCBS...

Hance, what is going on in the CBBQA is that there are some folks who are saying just that. If it's not KCBS, they aren't interested. More so, they are strongly pushing for the CBBQA to push towards that.

Ah, I see! Maybe we'll have to introduce them to additional sanctioning bodies. I hear TX has some good ones too, and NC for that matter. NE has one that's growing... :)

Seems to me that in this case the sanctioning body and the organizer made the best they could of an unfortunate situation. Did some get judged perhaps diffently? Perhaps, but frankly welcome to competition BBQ. It happens.

For what it's worth...according to the head judge...the top scoring turn in boxes were turned in at different times...first...middle...and last...there was no specific pattern to what boxes scored scored higher based on turn in times...nuff said!

Back