THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Merl you asked for opinions, 60 replies later you still haven't returned with any kind of reply. either to show us what threads you are referring to or to say this was meant for another board. not just stirring the pot to prove a point are you?

I haven't seen it in my visits here either. I have been at a few Bbq forums and this one is the Jewel in the Crown.

Merl,

That might have been a statement you could have made in the past, but not recently. You probably missed the whole "kinder/gentler" forum and you didn't mention that, but there was a concerted effort by the originators of the forum as well as the current moderator team to make a point.

In the time I've been here, it's been a great forum. I can't say that for the other forums I USED to go to.

As someone said... "there are other forums" (well actually, one that I moderator) :D

I think 5 pages of responses should tell you how the current forum seems to be running in people's minds.

There is censorship and there is outright slamming of a forum. Slamming the forum in such a way as comparing it to others in a negative light shall not have repercussions? Um ok

Well, actually, I don't think he was slamming the forum as much as asking for opinions, as well as stating his own. He's received 5+ pages of responses that are mostly contrary to his opinion....all of this without banning him to a useless user group or censoring him....as it should be.

I just found your post interesting, yet somewhat contradictory, that's all.

Have a great day!

I think I can see a little bit of where this is coming from. When I first was on here, I never saw anything at all "controversial," Only some vague references to a disturbance here, like seeing the waves that an action made, but not seeing the action itself. I felt I never really knew what was going on. It appears the standard operating procedure was to remove anything that might be deemed offensive without comment. More lately, I have noticed more comments from mods about offensive posts. I think (some?) mods may feel they need to justify their actions or to make a warning. Perhaps this is changing the flavor of things a bit. In my opinion, mods don't need to justify ANYTHING. Maybe it is better to mod in silence, just delete offensive posts, send a PM to the offender and leave it at that. I'm not saying this is a problem, just saying this is something I've noticed more lately, and it could be only because I've been on the site more lately.

I think I can see a little bit of where this is coming from. When I first was on here, I never saw anything at all "controversial," Only some vague references to a disturbance here, like seeing the waves that an action made, but not seeing the action itself. I felt I never really knew what was going on. It appears the standard operating procedure was to remove anything that might be deemed offensive without comment. More lately, I have noticed more comments from mods about offensive posts. I think (some?) mods may feel they need to justify their actions or to make a warning. Perhaps this is changing the flavor of things a bit. In my opinion, mods don't need to justify ANYTHING. Maybe it is better to mod in silence, just delete offensive posts, send a PM to the offender and leave it at that. I'm not saying this is a problem, just saying this is something I've noticed more lately, and it could be only because I've been on the site more lately.

As a rule, mods or admins will send a PM(without fanfare) to the poster when a post has been removed.

If it was a blatent button pushing crossing the line post, removal is done without a PM. (in this case, 99% of the time the poster knows they were doing it and pushing the envelope)

If u see a public comment after a thread is scrubbed by a mod, its usually done to put a thread back on track, get it civil and let the folks know it was moderated, and why, and dont continue whatever it was.

that being said..we dont do it to justify our explain actions. The rule here is a moderators action is final.. its done more as a courtesy so folks know what not to do again.

I agree, but I seem to notice this happening more often and sometimes I wonder if it is best just to scrub and not say anything at all. Seems if things are scrubbed, things will get back on track by themselves, but maybe they do, maybe they don't, I don't know, but it seems to send a strong message all by itself without saying a word. I'm not criticizing or anything, just wondering out loud as I often do....

edit: Just realized this is in the competition BBQ section. That is a LOOOONNNGGGGG way from home for me. I thought I was in woodpile. Sorry.

70 posts, 5 pages and 2 days later, and there is STILL no reasonable justification of Merl's statement, and I have to ask why? I have posted on here many times, asking for opinions, and I check back on that thread almost hourly. Because I WANTED TO KNOW. I have to question the Merl's motivation at this point on this issue.

I dunno...

This is not just the most civil and friendly BBQ forum I have ever been on, but also the most civil and helpful forum of any persuasion.

NEed help with boiling ribs for competition presentation....do I get advice here???

Listen, this is a community that cares about the people in it. Don't get hooked on the trolling lure. Scott

PS, Phil we aren't supposed to boil them first....who knew?!?

I think he's referring to Phil's post on no more B.S, foul or some thing along that line, unfortunately I forgot how it went since it didn't pertain me:becky:

There have been more personality clashes lately than several years ago, but that's due to the membership level now. All in all, not only are people civil, but the mods let us run wild, to a point. We're allowed to disagree and not get our hands slapped, as long as we don't get into personal attacks, etc.

As the recipient of a lot of Brethren love (in a manly way) last weekend with A Pretty Good BBQ 2010, I can't think of any other place on the internet that would have produced cooks from 7 states to do a charity event at a local church. All I did was ask, and guys showed up. Then they came back the next year, then even more showed up the next year. I'm almost afraid of what next year will bring!

Doing drive-by posting doesn't help things, but, in the end, we're all playing in Phil's backyard. I, for one, appreciate that this place isn't 100% barbecue. If it weren't for allowing other than that, the people on here that are a part of my life likely wouldn't be, but the bbq-ness of the forum gives us all a common starting point.

Back