Is rub on a steak a waste of time?

If I bought them ahead of time, I dry brine starting the day before I'm grilling. The day of I put on a heavy coat of Carne Crosta. Steak comes out of the fridge an hour before grilling time when they will go over a bed of lump charcoal.

I've tried a number of different rub options over the years. Decided that for even modest quality steak, the best approach for me was to keep it simple and just use kosher salt and pepper.

Recently, someone here (I think it was 16Adams), had commented about using Lawry's for steaks/burgers. So, I subbed out the kosher salt for the seasoned salt. I enjoy both, but have been really enjoying the seasoned salt more recently.

YMMV.

Bruce

Farted around adding garlic powder, onion powder, etc a few times.

Went back to just celtic sea salt and fresh cracked black pepper. Much better.

I’ve always brought steaks close to room temp for approximately 30 minutes, but lately I’ve been doing this in a ziploc with Basque Norte Marinade for the same amount of time.
I really like the flavor that comes from that.
In addition, I liberally sprinkle Coarse Black Pepper and Kosher Salt.

I'm with you, anytime I want to put a hard sear on my steak the rub goes off. However, I have tasted several rubs on steaks that are delicious when not searing.

I have tried many many rubs on steaks.
Home made and bought. Stuck with ones without sugar.
After the sear they are mostly burned. Not adding much flavor if at all or just a burned taste. Looking like black dust.
Last time I cooked steaks I just rubbed some oil on the meat and it came out great. No burned taste. Just crunchy. So is rub on steak a waste of time?

First, an 8-hour salt dry brine.

Then, apply crushed black pepper and garlic.

Then, cook and sear.

The short answer is "yes", rub is important. But just a simple rub as described above.

If you must use a rub when high-heat searing, add the rub after the initial sear before moving to indirect.

I essentially have 3 methods

Salt and pepper hour before going on grill. I either do on coals or at 1000F. I like bleu steak

Salt and pepper in sous vide then sear

No seasoning in skillet with. Utter baste and thyme

All above work well. Any time added seasoning for skillet or grill at around 500ish it either burns or falls off

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I like to dry brine with kosher salt between 1 and 24 hours. IMO the steak is more tender, juicy, and flavorful if the salt has time to work it's magic. I add 16 mesh black pepper and granulated garlic right before it goes on the grill.

This is completely unrelated, but if I have an inexpensive cut of tri-tip or steak I cover it in a pile of kosher salt for 15 minutes then wash all the salt off and season as usual. It literally tenderizes the meat to the point it seems like it's going to fall apart when you are washing the salt off. There are a lot of good videos about this method if you are interested.

I love steaks about any way you can cook them, best ribeye I ever cooked was 3.49lbs, Sucklebusters 1836 rub, flipped the switch on the Austin LX set it at high smoke lowest temp, pulled at about 135 and no sear, I had planned on it but while the smoker was headed to high temps I tasted it, reach over and shut it down. I could taste the meat and no burnt seasonings and for that day it was perfect. you don't always have to drive at 55 lol , try different things and they most always turn out eatable

Someone here (I dont remember who) suggested a 50/50 mix of Oakridge Santa Maria and Oakridge Carne Crosta and I LOVE them for it.

So I would say NO...rubs are definitely not a waste of time on steaks.

(I make Tri-Tip with the same rub combination)...Chefs kiss

I tried Oakridge Carne Crosta on a thick T-bone over the weekend. The flavor of the rub is good on it's own, but I find it distracting on a steak. I need to experiment with it on lesser cuts of pork and beef.

I have to say yes but that is kind of loaded. Does a steak with only salt and pepper, taste different than a multi-Montreal steak seasoning, and doffernt than Carne Crosta? Yep! I know it all may burn but like IamMadMan said, if you let the seaoning sit 8 hours, you will probably taste it more. I know, I can taste when grilled food that is marinade in garlic. I haven't gotten into enough rubs to compare most individual ingredients.

This may sound counter productive, but As i mentioned earlier, i preferr using a Montreal steak seasoning marinade. Theres soo much seasoning left on the steak after the marinade time, that i usually wipe most of it off before high heat searing. That said, even after wiping most of it off, it still imparts the flavor of those herbs and spices.

We do S&P, SPOG, Carne Crosta but my favorite is ground porcini mushroom.

Add it after S&P (sometimes include garlic & onion).Let it set 15-30 minutes while meat is coming to room temp.

It does crust nicely and has great flavor - Thank me later!

my favorite is ground porcini mushroom.

Add it after S&P (sometimes include garlic & onion).Let it set 15-30 minutes while meat is coming to room temp.

It does crust nicely and has great flavor - Thank me later!

Might as well be using Q-Salt then ;)

Back