THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I have the iQue110 and love it. Set it up for overnight cooks and it let's me sleep. Well worth the price.
Someone asked about power cords. It comes with a standard 110VAC power supply. Optional is a 110/220VAC unit or a 12V cigarette plug. I need to get this for comps in case the power is spotty and plug it into one of those jump start batteries I have.
Happy 4th all!

I just ordered one too! ordered on monday shipped today, expected to be delivered tomorrow. So good so far!

I have one. It works well for me on my UDS.

I did have to place a piece of electrical tape over about 1/3 of the fan, to choke it down a little. Seems to help keep temperatures from going over.

I also bought a 1" nipple, cap, and coupler to attach it to my UDS. I threaded the nipple into the drum, then cap it when not in use. When I want to use the Ique, I remove the cap and use the coupler to attach the iQ hose. This also allows me to shut drum down as soon as I'm done. W/o, a little bit of air still can flow through the iQ. Hope that makes sense.

I also built a rain box this weekend as shown on the iQ webpage.

I have one and have used it probably 5 times on my WSM. It does exactly what it's supposed to do - you set it and it holds the temp. I chose it over the other systems just because of the price. It's a no frills system, there's no logging or checking current status on your computer but if you just need something to hold your temp while you sleep or run errands then this will do the job.

I see that you just ordered one. The quote echoes my sentiments exactly. Just follow the included instructions & I think you will be very pleased.

Mine is ok. Would I buy it again? I dont think so, I would save my money for a stoker. It is wildly incosistent, and it runs away with temps easily, and turns my uber efficient egg and bubba keg into a fuel eating monster.

Mine is ok. Would I buy it again? I dont think so, I would save my money for a stoker. It is wildly incosistent, and it runs away with temps easily, and turns my uber efficient egg and bubba keg into a fuel eating monster.
It sounds like you have your top vent open too much.

I keep my egg's top vent open about a quarter inch with the daisy wheel closed and it works flawlessly.

Please explain more. How does it make them use more fuel than they would normally cooking at the same temps?

It sounds like you have your top vent open too much.

I keep my egg's top vent open about a quarter inch with the daisy wheel closed and it works flawlessly.

Nope, I don't have it more open. It is just open a tiny bit.

Please explain more. How does it make them use more fuel than they would normally cooking at the same temps?

I have most of the openings taped off to reduce flow, because when it was left open all of the way, temps would over shoot. Now it stays mostly within range, but it constantly goes on and off feeding and choking the fire, causing more fuel consumption than normal. I did 34 lbs of pork on my egg last week using it with my adjustable rig, and I had to reload at 7 hours. I have never reloaded my egg before during a cook, it was shocking.

Others have better luck with their iq110, and I am glad for that. I would not buy it again however.

is it possible that eggs are too efficient for them? even at the lowest setting on the fan, does it kick too much air for such an effecient smoker that the temps spike immediatly and then it needs to shut down right away to get the temps back down?

I'll chime in and say that I think my WSM does seem to use more fuel when using the Ique. I really don't know how to explain it other than before using the Ique I was probably getting a lot of temp fluctuations and the Ique holds the temp steady and therefore uses more fuel. I still get at least 9 or 10 hours on a full load of kingsford in my 18.5 WSM. I'm willing to use more fuel if it means I can sleep without worrying about the temps.

is it possible that eggs are too efficient for them? even at the lowest setting on the fan, does it kick too much air for such an effecient smoker that the temps spike immediatly and then it needs to shut down right away to get the temps back down?
That's doubtful. I'm using an iQue 100 on a large BGE and the fuel consumption is consistent with my previous cooks and the temps are stable.

I think out of the box, yes, possibly, especially on my bubba keg which seems to be more efficient than my eggs. That is why many of the bubba keg/bsk users tape off most of the fan vents on the main unit. I leave like 2-3 (30% maybe) open. It does work, and I can do an overnight cook. I just use more fuel, and that isnt a big deal, really. My brother uses one on his bubba keg, and noticed the same thing as well. Its probably not a deal killer for many people, but I am still saving up for the stoker. I also want to control more than one pit at a time, so that is appealing to me.

Many people enjoy the iq110, but I dont think it is as sophisticated as some of the higher priced pit controllers. There is nothing wrong with that if you just want to get a good night sleep when doing a low and slow.

Just ordered one today for the 18.5" WSM. Will give a full report on my first test run when it happens.

I have most of the openings taped off to reduce flow, because when it was left open all of the way, temps would over shoot. Now it stays mostly within range, but it constantly goes on and off feeding and choking the fire, causing more fuel consumption than normal. I did 34 lbs of pork on my egg last week using it with my adjustable rig, and I had to reload at 7 hours. I have never reloaded my egg before during a cook, it was shocking.

Others have better luck with their iq110, and I am glad for that. I would not buy it again however.

Are you using the choke plate (fender washer) in the hose to choke down the air flow? That is recommended for eggs and other very efficient smokers.

CD

Back