Insulated Smoker...Which one?

Another factor could be shipping vs pickup. Shipping on my Backwoods was STEEP! Almost worth talking the long drive from NJ. I would also like to mention, that Mike from Backwoods is there for any questions or customization you might have. It looks like all these builders are standup guys.

I can tell you as a heavy Spicewine user that a Spicewine may be the last cooker you ever need. It is built like a Brick Chithouse. It may weigh a bit more than the others but there is a reason for that. It is very heavy duty. You would not be dissapointed with a Spicewine and Jay the owner is a great guy to deal with.

I think a Jambo pit would be the way to go... they look so clean and good, and I've seen them win a time or two.

Jamie Geer pits.

those Jambos look nice but I dont want a trailer...the wife may not notice the sixth smoker in the back yard...shed notice the trailer!

Lotta pros and cons between the three major (BW, Stumps and Spicewine) insulated smokers. I would probably add the Superior Smoker to the mix. Based on some things I have heard, Joby fixed some of the cons referred to in the Stumps.

I own the Stumps and cook with a couple of guys that have the other two.

In my opinion, a gravity feed smoker built by spicewine would be the obvious choice. Unfortunately it doesn't exist. I say that because I think the gravity feed (I have had many 30-40 burns) is the best feature amongst the three mentioned but based on my observations, the spicewine appears to have some high quality welds and it doesn't appear that they skimp on quality.

Also I wouldn't go without the stoker if you chose the stumps. It is true that you do not need it, but I swear by it. The stoker will keep you within a half degree of your set temp.

You can call me and I will go into the specifics of what I know about these smokers.

Last edited:
Anyone have closeups of the Spicewine? It's hard to view from the website.[/quot

As an owner of a Large spicewine I can tell you they are built tough I have abused the chit out of mine not on purpose of course I'm just hard on them i have had mine for three years know and cook an average of 40 comps a year on this unit and have never had a problem with it I have ran it with & with out water back to using water better results.

The wife cooks on a backwood i can tell you right now it would not hold up to me in the long run they are good and affordable units I just don't think they are built as good as jay's are JMOP:-D

spice004.jpg

spice004.jpg

Idea of what it can hold
rack_4-1.jpg

rack_4-1.jpg

rack_4-1.jpg

I have a Large Spicewine and a Backyard Party. There are some differences between the two outside of weight and price.

With the Spice, I find I have better temp control by opening and closing the stacks, leaving the intakes alone. The spice is mounted on my trailer so portability is moot. The doors are not insulated and can get pretty darn warm. I have installed a basket and have been getting some pretty decent burn times at 250. I also like the ash pan below the fire basket, I can easily clean out ash during a cook without having to take out the fire basket. I have it mounted to my trailer as I have said and to avoid black build up on the roof I had stainless pipes made that bend out and over the trailer. With this desgn I get a lot of evaporation condensating and running down the side of the cooker. This is not a design flaw on Spicewines part, but does show how much moisture is present in the cooker ( I run without water in the pan). I bought it used and with four racks. If I had the choice, I would go with three and have them spaced better. Yes I can take out a rack (which I do) but that does not really address the position of the other three racks. Overall I love the Spicewine for the larger cooks we do, it has been holding a case of chicken and a case of butts on two shelves every weekend in the month of May.

For the Backwoods Party, I find better control leaving the exhaust wide open and controlling the temps with the intake slides. It is built a bit different than the Spicewine as it is double walled. Smoke and heat comes up between the two walls dumps into the cooking chamber at the top and drawn out the bottom and up the exhaust. It hold temps exrtremely well. Ash is a bit of a bear to get to as you have to remove the firbox and clean out the bottom. I think they have made a mod to this that makes it easier. Mine is just a bit older. Between my wife and I we can lift the BWS and bring it on the deck or, as we did when competing with it) load it on the back of the RV and strap it down. We did have the wheels redone as the ones that came with it were about to go. Don't know if this is age or design flaw. We used the Party in our first year of comps we were able to cook 2 butts and 2 flats over night and then put the ribs on in the morning. When chicken time came around we had the butts and flats off and was able to put the chicken on, so plenty of room if needed. I can do 10 racks of ribs at once if needed. The BWS is a great cooker for the home, but if I were to compete, I would go larger.

Hope this rambeling helped. PM me if you want to go over anything else.

Just one thing to add to Roo's comments regarding the BWS:

The BWS's do come with a removable ash pan that can be taken out during a cook without moving the coal pan. I think the removable ash pan is an option on the Chubby and Party (upgraded firebox) and is standard on all larger models.

I just cooked two days at the GAB in my Competitor and I didn't feel the need to dump the ash until I shut down the smoker on Sunday. I use WG coal, so I don't get much ash - plus the Competitor probably has about twice the ash pan size as the Party.

And I definitely missed adding an FEC to the list. I guess I think of it as a pellet smoker 1st and just overlooked the fact that it is a vertical insulated cabinet smoker. I'll love to compliment my Competitor with an FEC.

Not much worry about the cold here in So Cal (lol)...

For me, it's the consistentcy - Small learning curve, and mine now will hold 230 anytime I need it, using a charcoal basket. It is efficient, and for most cooks, I use only 20 lbs of K and 5 to 6 wood chunks. Can turn a lot of product, without sacrificing heat or cooking time. No electricity needed or mechanism to worry about, just a good cleaning once a week. Plus, it looks good with the red powdercoat and chrome stacks, it never fails to turn heads or get compliments.

The folks at Spicewine are top notch as well!

I couldn't have said it better!

Back