THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Im gonna buy a whole pig, try and save. gonna go in on a whole cow with a couple of people.

Buying bulk may help?

Also gonna do more hunting.

I even want to head down south to help out getting those feral pigs. Man that is good pork.

Department of Agriculture has said that retail beef prices hit $4.25 a pound in January. This is up 10% from a year ago. Six months ago we were paying $4.01 a pound.

Pork looks like we are paying $3.24 a pound. Last January 2010, we were paying $2.87lb. Six months ago we were paying $3.23lb.

Here is a link to the data.
http://www.ers.usda.gov/Data/MeatPriceSpreads/

Just wow. Is it a CA thing? I just got some nice fresh pork loin baby backs for $1,79 per lb.

Guess its a good reason to NOT live in CA. That and everything is know to cause cancer there. MAn, every time I read the wrods "Known in the state of California to cause cancer" I am relived that I dont live there.

Just picked up a 12lb choice brisket for 2.29/lb and a 20lb pork shoulder for 1.69/lb @ my local country butcher

Just wow. Is it a CA thing? I just got some nice fresh pork loin baby backs for $1,79 per lb.

Guess its a good reason to NOT live in CA. That and everything is know to cause cancer there. MAn, every time I read the wrods "Known in the state of California to cause cancer" I am relived that I dont live there.

These are national statistics. If you go to the link given you will also see poultry prices as well as other information about prices from the farm to the retail package.

Beef prices are going up because cattle prices are HIGH right now. Around here killer cows are bringing .80 lb and 600 weight steers are bringing $1.40-$1.50 per lb. To be honest I hope they stay high through the fall :pray:(thats when my calves will be ready to sell:heh:) I was told that there are fewer cattle on the ground right now in the US than there has been in the last 50 yrs. Not sure if thats true or not.

Just picked up a 12lb choice brisket for 2.29/lb and a 20lb pork shoulder for 1.69/lb @ my local country butcher

Just paid those almost exact prices at my local Sam's Club. I need to find a good local butcher with similar prices.

Case's of butt's are $1.55lb now (was $1.29lb a few months back.

Right there with you Leanza here gas is 3.40-3.60. I have also found we are letting the grocery stores make our menus since my wife and I are shopping mainly the loss leaders in the store ads, thats ok because I find it a challenge to make good meals with what other people decide to put on sale. Also for cost cutting I found myself using more store brands and whats nice there is I work in a grocery store and we get an extra 10% of all store brands I love watching my employee card swiped and watching the total drop...I am so cheap and proud of it!

I've seen a thirty cent increase per # in pork prices at Costco. I know that Costco's internal pricing policy is that they mark everything they sell up a certain percentage from their initial cost. I believe that it is around 14% across the board on any item in store. Now paying $1.99 per# for pork butts.

Back