THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I don't remember the last time I got burnt. I wear gloves to handle the hot stuff and leather closed toed shoes. And don't forget the sunglasses. I hate when the lump pops at me. I wear gloves in the kitchen too, my wife burns herself all the time but refuses to pop a glove on.

Are those weed burners the same thing as commercial flat roofing torches. I have a roofing torch but it has so many BTUs I'm afraid to try it.

Add me to the list who's stepped on a hot coal, or had one drop out onto a flip-flopped foot.

Also have opened up the foil to release a good amount of steam onto my hands once or twice.

But I'll take the littler burns over the cuts...tried to lop off the top piece of my thumb last week. First cut I've had while trimming (pre-bbq) but it annoyed the hell out of me. It wasn't bad, it was just enough to get in the way for most of a week after.

I don't ever burn myself. I just take giant chunks out of fingers regularly and cut myself. I have become really good at always doing the damage to my right (non-guitar fretting) hand, so I guess that is something.

I to have stepped on coals from the stupid chimney, took me twice to learn that lesson, second time it got stuck i to the skin and I put my foot in the pool for relief. As an engineer in the Navy dealing with boilers my hands and finger tips are pretty immune around 225 for a good few seconds.

How many of you have been burned by coals falling out of the chimney starter when you pour them in? I wear flip flops and it has happened to me more than once lol.

:pound: Now that I have done. After the fact I thought "you dum bass" That is something I would holler at the kids for doing. Doing something dumb that is...not dropping hot coals on their feet.:doh:

Feet have gotten it more than once. Worse on was when the handle on a kettle lid broke and being quick thinking as I am I tried to catch with my other hand.

When I used to BBQ on my 18th floor balcony in Sao Paulo (it sounds worse than it actually was - everyone has BBQ on their balconies here) I did manage to spill burning alcohol over the floor, which I carefully tried to stamp out, forgetting I was barefoot.

Apparently it was the best dancing my wife has ever seen me do as I hopped about slapping at first one foot then the other! :crazy:

Grabbed my water pan to fill it before putting meat on and forgot it was 250 degrees. I blame the beer, I wouldn't do something that dumb without my friend Mr. Cerveza.

I am a mechanic, I burn myself everyday. On the smoker, maybe once every couple months.

The last time I burned myself on the Barbie was a particularly hot batch of Goliath Jalapenos stuffed with Gouda and smoked for an hour. But that's the kind of burn that's wonderful. Owwwwwie were they hot!

I got over getting burned a long time ago. I'm not sure if I get burned a lot less than in times past or if I just stopped noticing when I got burned.
I've cauterized a few wounds on me, and had a few cauterized by friends. Those are the ones I clearly remember. The rest are paper cut status I guess.

I am a baker. I was pulling cheesecake out of the oven. The 18x24 sheet pan had about an inch and a half of water for a water bath. I lost control of the pan and dumped the water on my right sneaker. At first no pain,then the water soaked in and I could not get my shoe off fast enough. Had blisters on foot. Had to work in a sock for a week. Not fun standing 10 to 12 hours a day in a sock.

I have fire boilers, a welder , work on and repair bakery equiptment for years, been burn from head to toe don't pay much attention to it anymore

Interesting, I never really cut myself. I have a razor sharp chef's knife, boning knife, paring knife.

I hold the chef knife angled slightly out and keep my other hand's fingers curled in always.

Yep, me too, but I still manage to cut myself more often than I would like. I'm kind of always in a hurry.

On the burn side. I did dip my middle finger into 350° oil up the the first knuckle one time. That hurt pretty bad.

Back