I'm a sucker for "manager's special" and brown beef

sudsandswine

Quintessential Chatty Farker
I've been on a yellow tag/manager's special/scary looking beef kick lately. Marked down because it's "sell by date" is "today" - oh no! [thinks to self about the brisket in the fridge for 5 weeks].

Or maybe it's got some "yucky brown things" on it that make everyone afraid to buy it, as is the case today. Just some color change from exposure to air or something, doesn't bother me even a little bit - especial+ly not at < half price. So I got this 2" thick porterhouse for close out pricing. The other side facing the tray was still bright red, just a big ol thick steak with some air trapped in the packaging and the top got a little discolored. Smells fine. No problem.

Washed it off in the sink, wiped dry, and into a vacuum bag and freezer for a rainy day. I've actually amassed a decent stockpile of a variety of steaks just from passing through random meat departments looking for that little yellow tag. Usually $5-6/lb. I guess that's how I get my kicks now. :twitch::grin:

Most of the time, the dark spots are caused by multiple packages being stacked on top of each other. The pressure causes it to bleed out a bit, at least that is my experience of working the meat dept for 6 years. it will be great. Consumers are a picky bunch. If you have ever sorted food at a food bank, you will see ugly produce that would not sell in the grocery market. Real first world problems.

Good score. I bought a bunch of veal cutlets recently at half price because they were running out of time the next day. Though I don't believe him, he said they'd have to throw them out the day after. I would think the employees would haul them home gladly (unless they can't because of policy).
I see nothing wrong with these steaks though if the had a brown side I would scrape off the top layer instead of washing.

I'm with you on that. I usually check for manager specials anytime I do any shopping and great scores like that makes you feel like it was a successful trip!

My wife lives for the yellow tag mark downs at our local Kroger. She is a mark down ninja!!!!

I even started making note of when a group of steaks in the bin hits the "sell by" date and I will go back on that day to see if theyre still there and have a yellow tag. :blabla: sad. Usually its 2 or 3 days after I am there. Fridays have been my most productive yellow tag day for sure.

I even started making note of when a group of steaks in the bin hits the "sell by" date and I will go back on that day to see if theyre still there and have a yellow tag. :blabla: sad. Usually its 2 or 3 days after I am there. Fridays have been my most productive yellow tag day for sure.

Do you hit multiple stores too? That’s what I did when I was hunting for briskets. Drove around town with my yeti in my trunk.

I dont make special trips (yet), if I just happen to be at a place for something, I always make the obligatory pass through the meat dept.

I used to search Wal-Mart Yellow Tags on Thursday morning. About 2 years ago (swag) their yellow tags began being 5-10% markdowns instead of 40-60%. I quit going there. I have 4 United Supermarkets and United Market Street 0.5-4 miles away. They usually have choice or better 40% markdowns in their sell by bin. It’s hit and miss, at times empty-Yesterday I bought three thin CAB Ribeye for 9$ at United. Yesterday they had several packages of lamb chops-passed on those but guessing several brethren would have loaded up.

We have a freezer full of self raised beef, some angus and some angus/wagyu cross. So its gotta be a real good $/lb deal for me to buy. Saw a 14 lb brisket in wm yesterday that was marked down to $32 and change. Thought about it, looked it over, but it had some weird dark brown blackish patch/streaking on the point end. Not the usual browning, looked suspicious and a bit concerning to me, so i passed. Might could have just cut whatever it was off. Dont have time this weekend anyway, so would have had to find room in freezer....

I used to go straight to the meat dept. at our local Kroger to decide what I was going to cook. They had really good markdowns. They changed a couple of years ago, now the mark downs are near what I pay at Sam's for fresh beef.

Back