THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

tish

Quintessential Chatty Farker
http://www.foodsaver.com/product.aspx?pid=12265&promo=Q2FEEEE&utm_campaign=Q2FEEEE&utm_source=FSLOGO

Just a heads up, brethren. If you've already been thinking about buying a FoodSaver, this might be the time to go for it. I got a really good deal on this model at Christmas time, and it was paid for by a family member as a gift. :smile: Since then, I've kept watching the site, and haven't seen anything that would have made me buy, if I didn't already have one, until today.

This is the unit I got, except mine is black. I'm very happy with it, and have had no problems at all. I do use the container that's pictured, and it works great. I had to buy that separately with several others as a package, but this is the one I use most often. Nice that it comes with this vacuum unit for the one price. If I didn't already own one, I'd get this. Just a thought. :smile:

Here is a new hint! I have been making ice packs for the cooler.. Fill open bags with water then freeze when frozen the vacuum seal and put back in freezer for later use. Great for lunches and refreeze.. Good use for older bags... I also use milk jugs and freeze as well. This saves on buying ice at $2.00 a bag.

Great idea, Marty! I like that one. Here's another. I actually used mine to vacu-suck some of my son's stuff (tools, photos, silver, etc.) that were being exposed to humidity, and getting tarnished, rusty, or (eww) moldy. Now they'll stay nice until he finally gets out of the Army, and comes home to use them again. :smile:

Use FSAVER20TW1 coupon code for 20% off too. Then order some bags, also 20% off, to get your total too 100 for free shipping! Excellent deal!

With the coupon, that would actually be a better deal than what I got in December. Yeah, not trying to sell anything to anyone here... just saying, if you were waiting for the right deal, this might be it. :thumb:

I keep asking my wife if I should purchase a Foodsaver.

Her retort..."NO. They are called ziplock bags".:redface:

...and this from a woman that never complains about anything that I buy.

We are pretty good about turning over the food in our freezer though...If I've tasted freezer burn, I didn't recognize it.

I keep thinking of a reason to justify (To myself) purchasing one.

Then you obviously don't need one, brother. :smile: Listen to your wife. You'll be much happier. :grin:

Tish, you're supposed to be helping me rationalize buying one, not supporting the wife.:tsk::biggrin1:

Been married 23 years. If I start listening to her now, she's going to wonder "What's up"?

here is a new hint! I have been making ice packs for the cooler.. Fill open bags with water then freeze when frozen the vacuum seal and put back in freezer for later use. Great for lunches and refreeze.. Good use for older bags... I also use milk jugs and freeze as well. This saves on buying ice at $2.00 a bag.

you rock!!!!!

We have had a Foodsaver of one bran or another for 20+ years. We call them sucky-things, and have saved us a bunch of cash.
I go to BJs and buy our meat in bulk. A little time with a sharp knife to part it out, sucky thing them and off to the freezer. Big Al and I tag team this work and get it done in short order.

Use FSAVER20TW1 coupon code for 20% off too. Then order some bags, also 20% off, to get your total too 100 for free shipping! Excellent deal!

Oops. That code no longer works. They are offering some free bags and free shipping at this time with that sealer.

Just picked it up. I'm new at the Q and have been looking for some advice on sealing, since I'm making ridiculous amounts of meat for the two of us. Thanks to tish for the suggestion and all for the follow-ups.

Tish, you're supposed to be helping me rationalize buying one, not supporting the wife.:tsk::biggrin1:

Been married 23 years. If I start listening to her now, she's going to wonder "What's up"?

My only thought there was that if it starts a major row between you and your wife, you'd wish you never bought the danged thing in the first place. Didn't wanna be the cause of domestic unrest. :smile:

But if you're looking for reasons to get one that might end up being ok with the wife, I find that since I got the accessory containers, I've used so many fewer zip-lock bags, that the unit has begun paying for itself. Those zip-lock bags ain't cheap (if you buy the good ones), and the container units are not only reusable, they take care of anything I don't want to store long-term. So, if I have a big cook, let's say, and there's more than I can eat in the next week or so, I vacu-suck the majority in the bags, and freeze them. Whatever I can eat in the next week or so, I vacu-suck in a container. When I get hungry, I take what I want from the container, and re-vacuum. Return to the fridge for next time. Keeps the stuff very fresh all week. The day before I'm about to run out, I take my next week's worth of bagged portion out of the freezer, defrost, and into the container it goes to repeat the cycle. So, from cooking one pork butt that I'm eating over the course of a couple weeks, I've only really used one or two of the make-it-yourself bags, and everything is as fresh as the day I Q'd it. I also get to use the machine to vacu-suck my potato chip or other snack food bags (there's a no-crush feature on the machine), so all that stuff stays fresh a lot longer, too. As posted above, there are lots of non-food ways you can use your machine, too. Frankly, I don't know what the heck I did before I had one, but that's just me. Ask other folks who have one, and you'll likely get similar answers. Hope that helps. :smile:

Get one. I have been married 10 years and am on my third Foodsaver. I use it so much, I am about to retire this one for number four. I buy meat in bulk when it is one sale and seal it in smaller portions. I save leftovers. I marinate meat in them. I buy large blocks of cheese at Sam's and pack them in smaller pieces. I pack stuff for fishing and camping trips. Etc. Etc. Buy one that has a cycle for moist foods.

However, do not buy Foodsaver bags or rolls. They are way over-priced. Go on eBay. There are several people who sell the pre-cut bags for cheap. In particular, there is a lady who owns a bakery who sells them on the side who has great deals. I usually get 100 Quart size and 50 Gallons.

Swine, there's a reason you've been through three FoodSavers in ten years! LOL! I have as well. Go with VacMaster - they're commercial quality for home kitchens. And if you spend a little more money, you'll have one great machine for a LONG time! I recommend the VP112. I know of at least two Brethren who have it, maybe more. Take a look at it: http://vacmaster.aryvacmaster.com/cgi/ary.wsc/product.html?p-item-num=VP112. Best of all, there's no freezing the water in another bag first, then vacuum sealing! This baby will vacuum seal just a bag of water with no problem! Same for liquid marinades, etc. Another bonus - the pouches aren't specially designed sides so they're cheaper by far than suction style vacuum bags. Disclaimer - I'm the social media person for the company but ask around. As for the Brethren, MooCow and Hodedo both have them.

OUT OF STOCK!

I'm in need of a beefier Foodsaver. I have the "starter model" and have worn it out. I'm looking at the "Gamesaver Silver" model for repetitive sealing. I wore out the sealing strip on mine from using it over and over and over and over and......

http://www.foodsaver.com/product.aspx?pid=8059

You older one is not gone. I was told by FS that rinse in war water and let hang to dry. DO NOT strech it.

Oh just used mine today on some beef (Black Angus Patties)

Back