Icbinb (I can't believe it's not butter) as coating

Interesting how the buttered ribs were more brown. I thought it would go the other way! Both LOOK great, Mista. What was the in-the-mouth verdict?

Actually I thought the ones with the butter had something different than just sweet that I thought was interesting even with the sauce. They were over cooked a bit even though I only cooked them 2.5/.75/.5. My temps were running about 250 even with only two holes open. BTW you can still have very tender ribs at higher temps.

These weren't the greatest ribs to begin with. Somebody was feeling stingy at the meat packing plant because some of the bones were poking thru. Still I think they were great "at home" ribs.

I think I either need to lower the temp or cook them less so I can get clean cuts.

Thanks for the experiment, Mista. The butter ribs looked better to me coming out of the foil, but after sauce, they look the same.

I tried the same thing as Mista today on 2 racks. The butter was interesting, but I already add butter to my glazing sauce. I preferred the honey.

I will mix spray butter wiht apple sauce for a baste. I hazve put butter in foil with ribs and butts. I dont notice any differnce in color and a very slight with flavor. It depends on what you mix with it how the flavor reacts.

I know Myron Mixon has used it and I'm pretty sure Mike Davis and others have been doing the Parkay/brown sugar thing for a while...

At least they went through the "phase" -- you gotta get out all season to get a handle of what the top teams are doing...things "evolve" pretty quickly out on the circuit!

chad said:
I know Myron Mixon has used it and I'm pretty sure Mike Davis and others have been doing the Parkay/brown sugar thing for a while...

At least they went through the "phase" -- you gotta get out all season to get a handle of what the top teams are doing...things "evolve" pretty quickly out on the circuit!

good info.

Back