I think I've found it... No More rubbery Skin??

That's it, thighs braised in butter. My mother trained under a classically trained chef and she served this at home often for practice.(circa 1972, this is not a new thing). I've got a big duh on my face about now. Landarc, you just amaze me sometimes.
I have a food disorder, I have spent the last 48 years of my 48 year life thinking about food.

What little time I was not thinking of food, I was dreaming about being massaged by geisha.

Wagyu chicken, my secret is out. :shock:

I prefer Wagyu cook ... the cook is given sake and massaged by geishas while he cooks the chicken.

You kids are crazy... But Uhh, go ahead and sign me up for that wagyu training thingy, sounds hot!! :eek:

All joking aside that is some very impressive looking comp chicken.

Thanks Cig!

But how did it taste? :confused:

It's better to taste marvelous than to look marvolous. :icon_cool

The flavor was pretty good, I did 6 different combos of marinade/brine/rubs to try a few new things. There were a couple that stood out but a couple that I didn't like at all.

My goal was to get the skin tender, but also come up with a thigh that looks glazed or sauced with out actually adding any... I think those 2 parts were a big success... Flavor isn't too far off from what I want but it still needs work. Thanks for ruining this for me Miky... :wink:

My goal was to get the skin tender, but also come up with a thigh that looks glazed or sauced with out actually adding any... I think those 2 parts were a big success... Flavor isn't too far off from what I want but it still needs work. Thanks for ruining this for me Miky... :wink:

Right back at ya. Now PM me now with your recipe! :p

Not sure how I missed this! Excellent chicken...looks better than fantastic. :cool:

Did you get much smoke flavor into the meat going that low and slow?

The chicken does look very good, BTW!

Last edited:
Want crispy skin? Here is how it is done by one of the teams who perform very well in chicken category: http://www.thepickledpig.com/forums/bbq-contests/894-award-winning-competition-chicken.html

Shhhhh

I remove and scrape...then take the largest pieces of skin and put on the smallest (trimmed) thighs to assure good coverage. The larger pieces with smaller skin coverage are used as test pieces.

It's a chore and I don't think I'll ever get my wife to eat another chicken thigh. :grin:

As a judge who's apparently in the minority, its nice to see chicken not hidden by sauce.

How sweet is it? Hopefully not too.

And last, I don't care how you got it to have tender skin and taste good as long as it abides by KCBS rules.

I'm the newbie, what's the pan you have the thighs on? is that some sort of waterpan to keep them moist? I smoke with a pellet pooper traeger also. I've never found a good way to add a water pan to mine.

Its lunch time and those thighs look down right sinful. My mouth is watering and all I have is a crap sandwich and no geisha either

I did 6 different combos of marinade/brine/rubs to try a few new things. There were a couple that stood out but a couple that I didn't like at all.

Please tell us more about the combinations you are refering to and more about your process. Your leaving out a little too much.

We won't tell anyone.

ACV = Apple Cider Vinegar

Though I don't know 'the process' for certain, I would guess it to involve a butter braising.

Carpe 'Que,
Jim Rhino

No sir! Absolutely no butter braising! No butter (or margrine) is involved whatsoever, regardless of what NW BBQ might think of me... I will not stoop to those levels!! =)

Back