I may never cook brisket again....

JayQ

Knows what a fatty is.
I may have ruined dinner and I don't know if I should stop the Mickey D's for the kids. But it's not the kind of problem you might think I have. Yesterday I stopped at my favorite butcher shop and picked up my first short ribs. I have no idea why I've never wanted to cook them before or why I decided to try them yesterday. But I picked up 2 four bone racks of beef short ribs. I fired up the OK Joe about 7am this morning and started peeling the membrane of the back and removing what appeared to be a fat cat off the meat side. Once I was satisfied with how they looked I was a little disappointed. I was really hoping they might have a little more meat to them. But a dusted them with a new seasoning I picked up (heaven made products; it's incredible) and then covered them with salt and pepper. And off to the pit they went. I was running hickory and oak and the fire got I little hotter than usual. About 350 for an hour then back to my normal 300 the rest of the cook. About 1130 or so I took a peak at them a decided I'd wrap them till almost tender. About 1215 or so they probe about 205 and butter smooth. I was thinking "crap now I won't be able to reset the bark for very long." But I unwrapped them and then I headed inside to grab a cutting board. 2 minutes later they were off and resting MY OH MY.... the smelled incredible! I figured since I haven't had lunch I would slice off a little bark and give it a nibble. Baaad idea... now I want a whole rib. What's the big deal. Chefs privilege, right?
e68c25b7b0cea5bee49610e9b1af2972.jpg

Now don't get me wrong I love a good brisket but sometimes the flat is to lean and the point is a little to fatty for my personal taste. But these Dino bones... ARE ON POINT.. perfect, absolutely perfect... Man. Talk about good.. OOOO WOW. Not to lean, not to fatty. Best beef BBQ I've ever cooked. Now I got to have another bone. Needless to say, I almost stood at the cutting board and ate an entire rack myself. Feeling very proud licking my fingers I realized my family is probably gonna want a 3 bones a piece too. Now I'm short on Q. What to do, what to do? I know for sure these short ribs will be cooked a few more times this summer.

251602a8a83f1ec429eea7031cac5a26.jpg
76497bd0d6f616affa92b5ebba1b41e5.jpg

In all seriousness, these things are a great medium for me between brisket flat and brisket point. They came out super sticky and really juicy. When I thought they may not be as thick as I'd would have liked they pulled back from the bone and puffed right up. If you've ever considered cooking them I would definitely give them a shot. You may be really surprised like I was.

Last edited:
Agree... a properly cooked shortie is hard to beat. Nice job on the cook, sorry can't help you on the pic size.

:hungry: If that were me, my fam would get 1 bone a piece :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:. If you need a picture editor, try Irfanview. Been using it a long time and it's free.

Jealous. The only time I've seen decent beef ribs in my area they were just under $10/lb. :mad:

How on earth can I edit those dang photos down to a manageable size? Sorry bros

Try editing the photos by resizing them to a fractional % of the original size before you upload them. Try 25% and see how it looks.

Those look good Jay. Beef Short Ribs are my favorite cut to smoke and eat, so good, Brisket Point on a stick :-D

How on earth can I edit those dang photos down to a manageable size? Sorry bros
If you are hosting on Imgur go to edit photo and reduce the width to 750-800.

Last edited:
Beef short ribs are my absolute favorite to cook. I absolutely agree with you on the marbling. Brisket is good but beef ribs are sooooooo much better IMO.

My family asks for them as often as we can afford to cook them :grin:

Try editing the photos by resizing them to a fractional % of the original size before you upload them. Try 25% and see how it looks.

Those look good Jay. Beef Short Ribs are my favorite cut to smoke and eat, so good, Brisket Point on a stick :-D

If you are hosting on Imgur go to edit photo and reduce the width to 750-800.

Thanks everyone. figured it out. Sorry for the phark up

Your bones look spot on !!! I love your description of just trying to take just one little nibble. Been there many times :). I agree beef ribs are the perfect middle ground between flat and point. I love the things. But the price per unit cooked weight makes it pretty expensive. Regardless, its a great treat.

Your bones look spot on !!! I love your description of just trying to take just one little nibble. Been there many times :). I agree beef ribs are the perfect middle ground between flat and point. I love the things. But the price per unit cooked weight makes it pretty expensive. Regardless, its a great treat.

The price is kinda high comparatively but I'm usually feeding 4. At $5.49 a lb for these ribs I can spend $50 and comfortably feed everybody for the a little less than a buying a whole brisket (4.99xlb prime.) But I'm not getting to take left overs to work tomorrow. So it's a trade off I'll gladly take especially when it turns out as good as these.

Yes, the lack of of leftovers is one of those great tragedies when cooking beef ribs. Im usually looking longingly at the fridge the next day.

After discovering beef ribs, I now view brisket as a very economical faux ribs. For the same price, we have brisket dinner for a family of five, for near a week. If you work on the plating, you can get close. I will usually have a nice slice of flat to serve as a "plate", and lay down three cubes of point over the top. That gets pretty close, at least as a poor man's rib. You could even put a popsicle stick between the flat and cubes for presentation :mrgreen:

If I was you I would eat the rest of them , and get them a pizza

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back