I know this has been beat to death, but…

I use lump to kickstart the coalbed on my offset and occasionally searing a steak on the weber. I use briquettes in the WSM and for most grilling.

Lump any day of the week. Only "briq" I like are the B&B logs. Best pressed/formed charcoal I've ever cooked with. I know I've repeated it a billion times but since they question has been asked again....

7cncr8th.jpg

Grill dependent most of the time.

BGE = Lump (all the time)

Weber - usually Kingsford Competition Briquettes. Occasionally Lump.

Santa Maria Pits - Briquettes to get a bed of coal to start the Hardwood.

I was on the lump bandwagon for a bit. I thought since it's more natural it is better. Nope, every brand has tons of inconsistent sizes, tons of dust and crumbs and sometimes strange foreign objects. Briquettes burn more consistently, they are easier to maintain any temp with adjustments, and they keep a better, longer coal bed under my sticks.

I haven't found any lump locally worth dragging home, so briquettes for me.
Kingsford all the way.
And I've learned to wait for a new pallet at Costly-Co or Lowe's. It's mostly dust when the pallet is more than half gone.

Only "briq" I like are the B&B logs. Best pressed/formed charcoal I've ever cooked with. I know I've repeated it a billion times but since they question has been asked again....

7cncr8th.jpg

Glad to hear that, Sako. Coming from you, I'll take that as word. I just bought my first bag because of no good HD or Lowes sales this year.

I wanted to see if it could extend through 3 or 4 different meats on the same cook when I grill. Don't like having to add charcoal once I get started.

$20 for 30 pounds at Ace Hardware ain't bad, but I'd rather have $15 at an Academy if one was close!

I keep BOTH on hand all the time. I choose which depending on what I am cooking, how hot I need to cook, how long I need to cook and other factors.

They do the same but are different animals for sure. Get to know your brands intimately and let the smoke roll my friends!

Back