I have a dilemma... How do I eat healthy and still eat good BBQ

A good start is to not see it as bunny food. I like to eat veggies, one of the best things I have found is to cook them lightly, steamed even, then toss with some warm vinaigrette. Lowering starchy and simple carbs is the easiest thing to do. Tomatoes have some carbs in them, but, also offer benefits as well. Eating a reasonable amount in a well made salad is an excellent way to go. I happen to like BBQ meats on salads as well.

Tomatoes and other good eats may have carbs, but it's not the same as a loaf of store-bought white bread, which is high in sugars, too. Don't get to focused on the carbs. Look at the "total package" of nutrients. And watch out for sugars. Corn sugars of some kind are in almost every processed food, and they are nothing but empty calories.

I also agree that seeing vegetables as "rabbit food" can derail in a hurry. I love grilled fresh vegetables. In the summer, when there is an abundance of fresh produce, I can make a whole meal out of grilled vegetables.

And, for ease of cooking, I often make veggie kabobs to toss on the grill toward the end of a cook.

Also, grill and smoke leaner meats, like turkey and chicken and pork tenderloin -- and don't forget fish.

CD

CD

A bag of frozen vegtables is easy. You can always fancey up a bit with onion, green/red peper or mix different kinds. I pretty much quit the starch during the week and just do meat and veggie.

I only eat fast food twice a year, and rarely eat processed meats period. Use all my leftover smoked meats for breakfast, lunch, dinner, and snacks.

Haven't eaten commercially cooked french fries in over 6 months.

This gives me plenty of headroom for great BBQ. FWIW, most of my rubs, sauces, and side dishes are prepared with zero to very little sodium content.

I've lost 105 lbs in the last 7 years, from 285 to 178. It wasn't just changing my diet though, I ride a bicycle over 150 miles a week, push some light free weights, and use a total gym 1000 occasionally.

The way my body burns through calories at this point, I really don't have to worry much. Other than buying a new expensive wardrobe, since my 40+" jeans won't handle being altered down to 34".

Basically, the bottom line is I stopped eating stuff I don't thoroughly enjoy. If I'm eating something now, and it doesn't taste good, I stop eating. In the past, I'd just power through it and eat the (crap) anyways.

I do not follow all of the low carb crap. I eat a balanced diet and try not to over do it. I eat lots of veggies and fruit. We also fix most meals from scratch. No packaged stuff like Hamburger Helper or other boxed food. There is no silver bullet for healthy eating, and no short term fix for fat guys. Also you do not need to reduce your salt or colestorol unless you doctor tells you to. BBQ can easily fit into a balanced diet if you include fruit and veggies and dont eat 2 racks of ribs in one meal.

scratch. There is no silver bullet for healthy eating, and no short term fix for fat guys.

There's definitely a short term fix for fat guys. It takes tremendous mental fortitude, but it exists, trust me. :heh:

Your way, however, makes the mosts common sense.

Definitely no short term fix. It took me years to alter my eating and exercise habits. It helps that I don't work in a cube farm any more. Lots more energy burned, than taken in at this point.

2 racks of ribs in one sitting? Done it twice in the last two weeks, and still lost a couple lbs. It's all about turning your body into an energy burning machine.

It is pretty easy to learn to count carbohydrates -- go to the Atkins diet site and they'll send you a good carb book, no charge. There's lots of good food that is low in carbohydrates.

The tomato statement above is not totally true. A 3 0z. tomato has 3.6 grams of carbohydrate and 1.1 grams of fiber, making for a net of 2.5 grams -- not bad.

Meat, of course, has no carbs but the rubs and sauces we put on can add up. I've substituted Splenda for the sugar in several rub recipes and it works quite well. Keeping the sauce coat thinner also helps.

+1 on the mashed cauliflower.

I loved grill veggies as well. Corn, Squash, etc.

As long as you can add some seasoning to it, and as someone said, don't look at it as rabbit food. There are some veggies I don't eat because I can't stand them (peas and beans mostly). Just have to be innovative and try new things.

As someone said its not all about what you eat its how much you eat. Thats my biggest problem is portion control. As I was told we all too much try to go for the after Thanksgiving feast feeling (of about to explode)

I found my best way on not wanting to eat a lot is to cook a lot for others. By the time I am done cooking it all, I don't want it.

I do not follow all of the low carb crap. I eat a balanced diet and try not to over do it. I eat lots of veggies and fruit. We also fix most meals from scratch. No packaged stuff like Hamburger Helper or other boxed food. There is no silver bullet for healthy eating, and no short term fix for fat guys. Also you do not need to reduce your salt or colestorol unless you doctor tells you to. BBQ can easily fit into a balanced diet if you include fruit and veggies and dont eat 2 racks of ribs in one meal.

I agree. Balance is the key. Even the "bad things" are OK in moderation. Just don't overdo it.

Back