I hate parsley--part 2

T, that reminds me, I'd better order some parsley for next weekend.

I have an idea! They need to have a sanctioned box (1 or 2 companies...sams became a sponsor) that can be picked up prior to the comp, if the cook team wanted. Then like meat prep, sauces, rubs, etc all prep can be done throughout the week. It would be optional, the KCBS rep would measure the box and put the sticker on top and you're done.

If you don't do prep at the house, no big deal it's optional, they'll give you boxes at the event. I am an FBA team (whiskey bent bbq) moonlighting as a KCBS team and would love to have 3 hours to slow down Chad's drinking and criticize Rub's parsley height.

I love the look, but hate the work. Whomever develops this "sanctioned" box can just give me a few points on the back for royalties or I will sue you!

Hi All,

I think the rule for judging has some language stating "as presented". How bad would it be if judges were instructed to sample the meat as it was taken from the box. By that I mean, if there is parsley sticking to the meat, the judge should eat it along with the meat. Do you think there would be less sticky sauce as a result? I do. Or, there would be more lettuce than parsley. I'm just saying, if cooks present their meat in a certain manner and judges taste the meat "as presented", then judges should eat the parsley that sticks to the meat and score it accordingly for taste.

I understand this is not popular but only presented for cooks to think about when using their sticky sauces with parsley.

Benny

Lets go for a meat-only box. The latest 4-5 contests that I have observed have contestants not even washing the greens before making up the box. The chances of making a judge sick are real. I don't volunteer for juding anymore as a result. Bottom line is that i would like to win a category based on my cooking skill instead of my gardening, artsy-fartsy skills. Just my 2 conts

I understand this is not popular but only presented for cooks to think about when using their sticky sauces with parsley.

Benny
...don't you currently cook with someone who uses sticky sauces with parsley?
shiner.gif

And yes, teams should feel free to make meat-only boxes. Last year, 155 South did quite well with no-garnish boxes.

I spent an hour this past weekend building my first ever all parsley bed. Got it almost done when QN stopped by to say hi. I asked his opinion of it and he pointed out what I hadn't noticed - it was too tall. Anything I put on top of it would have smudged on the lid. I got pissed off and dumped it, and went back to all lettuce :mad:
Guess I'll try again at Dillard.

I judged one entry where the garnish bed had pushed the meat tight into the lid, enough that some of the pieces were reshaped.

...don't you currently cook with someone who uses sticky sauces with parsley?
shiner.gif

And yes, teams should feel free to make meat-only boxes. Last year, 155 South did quite well with no-garnish boxes.

Yes, I do. And I'm not suggesting doing away with either, only that the meat with parsley stuck to it should be judged accordingly. I'm sure, if that happened, many cooks would start using less parsley or sticky sauce, including my head cook.

Benny

I have an idea! They need to have a sanctioned box (1 or 2 companies...sams became a sponsor) that can be picked up prior to the comp, if the cook team wanted. Then like meat prep, sauces, rubs, etc all prep can be done throughout the week. It would be optional, the KCBS rep would measure the box and put the sticker on top and you're done.

If you don't do prep at the house, no big deal it's optional, they'll give you boxes at the event. I am an FBA team (whiskey bent bbq) moonlighting as a KCBS team and would love to have 3 hours to slow down Chad's drinking and criticize Rub's parsley height.

I love the look, but hate the work. Whomever develops this "sanctioned" box can just give me a few points on the back for royalties or I will sue you!

We've been making our boxes at home before the comp for the last year. Pick up a pack of clamshells from Sams, put a piece of parchment paper down in the box, create your parsley bed, cover with a wet paper towel, add a stabilizer for travel, and transfer the greens to the correct box when at the contest, and carefully slide out the parchment paper. It sounds more complicated than it is and only takes about 60 seconds per box to transfer.

We've been making our boxes at home before the comp for the last year. Pick up a pack of clamshells from Sams, put a piece of parchment paper down in the box, create your parsley bed, cover with a wet paper towel, add a stabilizer for travel, and transfer the greens to the correct box when at the contest, and carefully slide out the parchment paper. It sounds more complicated than it is and only takes about 60 seconds per box to transfer.

I thought I read that before on your site. I couldn't find it, but while my son is watching nemo and cars...I'm gonna build the boxes. Very smart!!!

Quit complaining Rub...nobody likes cooks with 50 GC's that can't build a parsley box. If my memory serves me correctly that was taught at your class. I believe I was the sucker that you talked into building the box???

You can't trust those FBA cooks...except for Whiskey Bent BBQ.

What I have found to be difficult is to keep the bed low, while keeping the parsley stems long enough to pack well. I gotta tell you, I cringe when my wife goes up for turn in and I see those boxes stacked. I seriously will be paranoid more in the future about having enough headspace so that stuff doesn't get smooshed by the top.

What I have found to be difficult is to keep the bed low, while keeping the parsley stems long enough to pack well. I gotta tell you, I cringe when my wife goes up for turn in and I see those boxes stacked. I seriously will be paranoid more in the future about having enough headspace so that stuff doesn't get smooshed by the top.

Boxes should never be stacked at a competition. I seriously hope that if you see this done you report it..... One thing a rep is tought from the beginning.

Boxes should never be stacked at a competition. I seriously hope that if you see this done you report it..... One thing a rep is tought from the beginning.

Was not aware. I will say something from now on. According to my wife, who witnessed this and actually questioned it, there were no reps anywhere near the turn-in table.

parsley

This post is so funny LOL:crazy: I am driving 200 miles tomorrow to judge. Remember this is at my expense. I do this because I want to help you guys. I don't give a rip about parsley though I have picked my share off of sticky chicken. We have water and towels. I personally don't give a rip about smudges on the lid. I have seen boxes turned ever wich way by table caps. Now I love Q. Last event I had the three best ribs I ever ate in my life also had the worst rib ever. Don't sweat the parsley or smudges concentrate on the Q if you want to win. I'm still laughing.

I pre-build my boxes for travel like Paul.
It was brought to my attention by a Head Judge that someone felt I was not using the boxes provided and therefore had an unfair advantage. So now to avoid any bitching, I label mine.
IMG_1680.jpg

I'm also a CBJ and know there are some vocal critics around the tables that complain about parsley or garnish in particular and feel some do score down on it (just my opinion). I've judged those entries where I picked up pieces of overly sauced "Chia meats" but picked off the greenery, but can't do anything about the judges that have a problem with it.
PNWBA judges a bit differently than KCBS as we do each entry instead of a placemat with 5 or 6.
So I make a point at the Cooks Meetings to reinforce the parsley issue and our Head Judges are very good about stressing it to the CBJ's.

This will probably come back to bite me in the a$$!

Are you seriously suggesting Reps be chastised if boxes are stacked?

I see it quite often - it is sometimes unavoidable. Example 1: organizer provides sheet pans instead of bread trays to move boxes from turn-in table. Example 2: bread trays are used, but more than six entries are sent to a table.

In both of these cases, boxes have to be stacked. Obvioiusly all attempts are made to interleave them so the pressure falls on the edges of the boxes rather than the center of the lids, but they are stacked none the less. I don't know what "Reps are taught at the beginning", but I do know what happens in the real world.

It hasn't ever been considered a big deal in my experience.

The green color of the garnish really accentuates the meat and makes it look more appetizing. So let's go with green boxes!!

j/k.

I bitch when I have to spend all the time it takes to make the boxes. But it's worth it. I would hate to learn the a judge marked me down because some parsley stuck to the bottom of the meat.

Maybe the judges should taste the entry as presented - with the parsley stuck to the meat if that's what happens when they pull it from the box. Isn't that what they are instructed to do - taste the entry as presented. Why pick it off? Then, when comment cards come back saying they didn't like the taste of parsley on their ribs, then we'll see what happens.

Back