I hate parsley--part 2

I think I've heard not to judge down for smudges on the lid - at least once judging.

I disagree.. The way I read his post was that he was being honest and at the same time pointing out a reminder and clear;y noted he was not marking down conciously because of the parsley..

And your only getting the "privledge" of sampling some great BBQ each time judging.. no guarantees anything will be good.

I don't disagree with no guarantee, however I'm yet to judge an event where some of the entries have not been anything less then spectacular. Although around KC, it's hard not to judge a comp without a handful of primer teams. :razz: All kidding aside, I do think it's a privilege to judge - no one is making anyone taste test some food with an opportunity to take a cooler full home for later.

The intent of my comment was simply questioning if he was serious or kidding. Each competitor puts in a lot of hours to try to present the best BBQ they know how.

Last edited:
YAY! maybe my 'waiting for the end of this trend' is getting shorter....
I sure hope so!

When/where are they instructed to not judge down? The judges meeting? Judging class??

When I serve as Table Captain, I always remind judges of this before I present the boxes for each category.

A smudged lid can be caused by handling after the cook releases a box at the turn-in table, so it isn't fair to judge down for something the cook may have had no control over.

YAY! maybe my 'waiting for the end of this trend' is getting shorter....
I sure hope so!

Why ? Nobody said you had to do parsley. I bet the top 4 teams in boston hills all did parsley this weekend so I'm pretty sure your going to have to deal with it for a long time to come.

I compete as well as judge on occasion, so knowing what it takes to put together a nice parsley bed, I certainly have no complaints about picking parsley off a sample. I did get a comment card from a judge at Roc City about a smudge on the underside of the lid, althou the judge didn't mark us down, like most teams we close our box and reopen to make sure nothing is touching, so the kind of thing most often happens after the runner hands the box over. there's alot worse things in life than picking some parsley off a sample before judging it. Its gonna happen as long as kcbs allows garnish.

I compete as well as judge on occasion, so knowing what it takes to put together a nice parsley bed, I certainly have no complaints about picking parsley off a sample.

Thanks, Tiny does a better job of saying what I was attempting to communicate. As long as quality teams are doing parsley beds, most of us that are trying to catch up feel we must do the same.

Boy, I would hate to think that I might get scored down because of some parsley coming off with the meat. Sounds likes its time we get rid of greens all together.

Instead, let's just get rid of the judges that are judging incorrectly. Judge the meat, not the greens. And if you want to imply that you may have subconsciously marked someone down for using a parsley bed, I'd say that's grounds for an organizer to subconsciouly leave your name off of the the judging list next time. It won't be anything intentional mind you . . . .

I disagree.. The way I read his post was that he was being honest and at the same time pointing out a reminder and clear;y noted he was not marking down conciously because of the parsley..

And your only getting the "privledge" of sampling some great BBQ each time judging.. no guarantees anything will be good.

Even if not consciencely marking down for the picking of parsley, but may be sub-consciencely. Ever go to a restuarant, had to wait forever for a table, or were in a bad mood from something? You do not enjoy eating something as much after something just irritated the crap out of you.

Psychologically, everyone eats with their eyes first and no amout of training will change that. Our task as cooks, is to realize that and endeavor to persevere. Which means accept it and make it pretty.
Mack
CBJ#5618

Boy, I would hate to think that I might get scored down because of some parsley coming off with the meat. Sounds likes its time we get rid of greens all together.
I agree, first I'd hate to see score's drop and second, I wish they'd get rid of greens.

I agree on sampling some great Q, but disagree it's all great, 99% is great. I've had the 1% that isn't. As you say no guarantees:!:

Back