I grilled on the Weber SmokeFire

@BabyBackManiac,

That's some awesome info and thanks for much for getting that out while it's still fresh in your mind. Silly question but did they discuss international distribution? I've got a few buddies who live in England and they are very interested in the cooker, but they're not sure if it's going to launch out there anytime soon.

I will admit that the video linked above is the only one that I have watched :-D but I was wondering the same thing. I've grilled steaks and burgers on my Memphis Pro and have never had flames like that.

Also, when the steaks were flipped for the first time it looks like the ones on the far right side had much lighter grill marks than the rest. Is the edges of the grill cooler than the middle?

I noticed that too! Id like to see some temp readings with an infrared sensor during hight temp & low temp. Just to see how even it really is.

Thank you for the video. I also watched Harry Soo's video on the SmokeFire.
I definitely wouldn't rule out adding one of these to the arsenal someday. Keep the updates coming, I'm tuned in.

I for one am not buying the pellet alchemy story related above from Weber. *rolls eyes* That right there is enough for me to hold off and read some real world stories of how this thing performs...

I still think it will do great, but my hope is it will lay on the smoke flavor with competitors pellets, just as good as theirs.

Hey guys,
I'm still on the road for a family wedding so I'm sorry I'm not able to reply to every question. I'll try to hit the highlights.

Regarding smoking. They talked alot about the things they did to get a better smoke flavor. There were some design things (which frankly I can't remember right now) but alot of what they did was tweak their pellets to include a higher percentage of flavor wood vs BTU wood. They also have at least one blend which includes a limited percentage of bark in an effort to ramp up the smoke profile. In their testing they found it really helped.

The main reason I don't have video on smoking is because we weren't there long enough to do a live cooking demonstration. We spent most of the 4 hours of time at Weber HQ talking about the development of the grill and what all went into it and the hands on time was basically grilling our lunch before we headed back to the airport.

That's why they decided to smoke the brisket the day before we got there so we could at least try it. Obviously, I only tried it once, but I really enjoyed the brisket and I found the smoke profile to be fine. You wouldn't confuse it with a stick burner but nobody would complain that it's missing anything.

Regarding Grilling...The reason they focused on grilling is because that was the key thing they were trying to deliver because every pellet grill they tested was at least a passable smoker. They wanted this to be a easy to use, quality grill that didn't require a lot of compromises and they didn't want to have to add or remove parts to make it work.

Regarding the performance. It reminds me of cooking with my genesis. About the same level of sear, about the same level of flair ups and about the same level evenness. You can see the cooler part on the side (by the way, I put that in there SO you could see that.) But keep in mind, what you are also seeing is that most of the grate was fairly even heat...and it was a HUGE grate. That was a 36 inch cooker. The fact they were able to get that as even and hot as they did was impressive to me.

Alot of what went into this grill are things you can't see. It's designed to eliminate or minimize a lot of the common problems people have with pellet grills...some of which people don't even necessarily realize is an inconvenience because they have just accepted it as par for the course.

So the auger is build in such a way where it's almost impossible to jam or backburn into the hopper...some of that is the length and the upward angle but also in part because during shut down mode it all the pellets at the end go into the pot and then the auger goes in reverse and pulls the new ones away from the fire.

As I touched on earlier, there are no parts required to go in or out in order to sear vs smoke so you don't have to store them when not in use.

Any grill can have a grease fire but they did a lot of work to make it much less likely with this one. There are fewer places for grease to accumulate and less ash floating through the cooker due to the design of the fire pot (which also keeps fly ash off the food...another goal). Additionally its really easy to clean so people are more likely to actually do it. One of the things that they felt like was a headache was having to having to remove a huge drip pan and pull ou a shop vac to clean the grill so they engineered that out of the equation by making all the inerds slope into the catch pan. It will ship with a tool were anything that does accumulate can easily be pushed below without a shop vac.

Also, its safety rated where if the grill ever does have a "thermal event" it's designed to manage it safely without hurting your property...and it should not even damage the grill itself (advantage of the porcelain coated steel vs painted)

The glow rods take 5 minutes to replace.

The grill is rated to operate safely at a 15 degree angle so basically it's not tip able even with all the weight on the back.

The computer is big, visible, user friends, and one handed operable so you. Ergonomics was a big consideration in that design.

The body is porcelain coated and the sides which are aluminized steel are high heat paint AND have an internal baffle wall so they are air insulated to protect that paint. Basically very unlikely to rust.

The hopper is specifically 23 pounds so you can add a full 20 pound bag of pellets without having a tiny bag of leftovers laying around.

There's more but that's the stuff I can think of off the top of my head. Mostly what i was impressed by was just how much testing goes into this stuff. The mind boggles. To put it into perspective, they have one person who comes in & practices every recipe in one of their cookbooks to make sure there are no tweaks they need to make to accommodate the grill with those recipes. That's JUST the culinary testing and that comes after all the hundreds of test runs during development. They've gone through tons and tons of pellets and measured every spot on the grill and they've pushed it to the breaking point in every way they could think of to find ways to make in better safer and easier to use.

I doubt it's "perfect" because nothing is but this is definitely not a grill that is using it's customers as beta testers (those are my words, not theirs.) In fact, it's worth noting that i never heard them say one bad thing about any other company. Also, for some reason I expected them to be arrogant but they weren't that way at all. Very professional folks.

Thanks for such an in depth review. I’m looking forward to what else you have to say & some slow smoking cooks. This looks like something I might get if they offer accessories like another side & front shelf. Thanks again for taking the time!

If I could quadruple “Thanks” post #20 I would Justin!

Thanks for taking us along for the ride to Weber!

Prolly gonna buy one cyber Monday...

If I could quadruple “Thanks” post #20 I would Justin!

Thanks for taking us along for the ride to Weber!

Prolly gonna buy one cyber Monday...

My pleasure, man. The way I see it, this is an expensive investment so my goal is to give as much information as I can and then you can decide if it works for you or not. One of my biggest take aways was this isn't just a "me too" pellet grill. Not the biggest or the fanciest but a really solid well thought out cooker that should not have a lot of the common inconveniences associated with pellet grills.

Looking forward to seeing how it does "on the streets" but on paper (and from what I saw) there is a lot to love for $1199.

My pleasure, man. The way I see it, this is an expensive investment so my goal is to give as much information as I can and then you can decide if it works for you or not. One of my biggest take aways was this isn't just a "me too" pellet grill. Not the biggest or the fanciest but a really solid well thought out cooker that should not have a lot of the common inconveniences associated with pellet grills.

Looking forward to seeing how it does "on the streets" but on paper (and from what I saw) there is a lot to love for $1199.

Oh don’t misunderstand my praise...

If I don’t like it it’s 100% your fault!

:biggrin1:

Safe travels

Please do some videos on how it smokes briskets and ribs. I’ve all but given up on my pit boss for smoking and went back to my two WSM’s. If the Weber pellet grill smokes well I will definitely pull the trigger and get one.

I’m a Weber fanboy and have high expectations.

How do you think it will handle all the grease that comes from smoking several pork butts or a couple of briskets.

Some very interesting innovations for sure... but my exact thoughts about the “direct flames!” Look forward to seeing guys buy and play with this cooker once it’s released :)

I see the MAK owners say they grill with the flame zone at around 450. I think they said they were cooking on this Weber @ 550. If you turned up your MAK to 550. Would you get the same kind if flare ups & ( not sure how to say this) Maybe better or the same type of char or grilling action they were getting??

I see the MAK owners say they grill with the flame zone at around 450. I think they said they were cooking on this Weber @ 550. If you turned up your MAK to 550. Would you get the same kind if flare ups & ( not sure how to say this) Maybe better or the same type of char or grilling action they were getting??

Yes. Or I least that was the situation on mine. That's exactly why Bruce used to suggest dialing the temps back a bit.

Depends on the cut of meat. Leaner cuts, no. Fattier cuts, yes. I think I have bumped my MAK to the Grill setting maybe twice in all the time I have been cooking on a MAK. At 450° with the Flame Zone covers removed, you’ll have a cooking grate temp of around 575° which is plenty hot for everyday grilling AND you will rarely if ever see a flare-up.

Back