THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

The last time I ate out was a couple months ago. Carryout from a car wash turned BBQ joint. It's been several years since I've had fast food. I just dont care for it much anymore. When I order a pizza it's from a local pizzeria, not Papa John's or Dominos. I also work a lot of hours so it's handy owning 3 Crock Pots. Crock Pot and Weber usually cover dinner through the week and my smokers cover the weekends.

Lately, we've been trying to dive deeper into Latin cooking with much of the Mexican influence here in the SouthWest. I think we're probably going to try some Carne Adovada to satisfy a serious hankerin' we've had thanks to a joint over in ABQ (Tia Betty Blue's).
Best to you all, and keep the food adventures rolling along!

Fish sauce and raisins in Carne Adovado? That's news to me. Who knows, it may be good. I'm sure there are lots of abuelitas just shaking their heads.

I like to brown the pork in a Dutch oven over a mesquite fire. I also cheat and use frozen Bueno red chile, rather than making from scratch. Black pepper, onion, garlic, oregano and cumin - I salt towards the end to kill any bitter notes. The chile and a bit of chicken stock goes into the dutch oven which I leave uncovered in the smoker for about a half hour, then top up with chicken stock and cover.

If Tia Betty survives the pandemic, we'll have to check them out. Put Mary & Tito's on your list to try, as well as Monica's El Portal. I prefer the latter, the sopapillas taste like donuts :wink:

I am not tired of eating at home. Even before this pandemic, we rarely eat out at a restaurant. Other then 5 out of the 6 Chinese take out places we normally order from being shut down (no idea why), every other food places we order from are open for pickup and delivery.

One thing i am tired of is planning to make a meal and going to the grocery just to find out they are completely out of a needed ingredient for a planned meal.

We eat at home most of the time. 5 kiddos right now, 6 a couple months ago. Eating out is expensive with that crew. I have smoked and grilled two to four times a week. Chicken breasts a lot, pork tenderloin, ribs, corned beef, pork steaks, hotdogs/sausage has been on our menu the last couple of weeks. Tonight was pierogies and turkey sausage, with pressured carrots. No proof though...it all disappeared fast.

I'm the only cook plus the chief pots and pans washer so I do miss going out as it's been 4+ weeks since eating out. We usually eat out at least once a week and some times more.

When it finally warms up around here I'll take the covers off my grills and at least be able to do burgers and dogs again. Can't wait to smoke a meatloaf

No offense, neighbor, but this has been the lamest winter in several years. We've had maybe 3 inches of snow since New Year's and it's been warm as far as winters go. Damn crocus popped more than a week ago!

Today I smoked some sweet Italian sausage and a foil pan of white rice/ baked beans/pineapple chunks bathed in a makeshift broth of juice, hot sauce, maple syrup, woost-a-shear and spices.

Get crackin' bro- release the grills! :thumb:

We had fillet mignon,fresh homegrown bacon wrapped asparagus and tater crowns.The steaks were dusted with Carne Crosta and Santa Maria.Asparagus was dusted with Dizzy Pig Spicy Dizzy Dust.Rounds just got salt.We are full and blessed.Like others have said,had rather eat at home anyways.Hope y'all stay safe out there.

We had fillet mignon,fresh homegrown bacon wrapped asparagus and tater crowns.The steaks were dusted with Carne Crosta and Santa Maria.Asparagus was dusted with Dizzy Pig Spicy Dizzy Dust.Rounds just got salt.We are full and blessed.Like others have said,had rather eat at home anyways.Hope y'all stay safe out there.

I am not familiar with those seasonings. But if you want a really good marinade for fillet mignon when making habachi, here is the recipe:
1/2 cup veg oil
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup vinegar ( i use black vinegar) but you can use white
1/4 cup worchestershire sauce
1/4 cup fresh lime

1/8 cup white sugar
1 tsp white pepper
1 tsp garlic powder

Marinate for at least 4 hours

I would say 99% of what we eat is cooked by me, at home. Rarely do we get takeout/delivery; most of that is ridiculously expensive for what it is, and given what's going on in the world, impossible to ensure food is prepared in a sanitary way. My son is immune-suppressed, and my wife and I have been going to (some would say) extreme lengths to prevent the corona virus from entering our house. If we end up getting it, it won't be for a lack of trying.

That aside, I've heard my wife and son say (and more than once) they prefer what I make at home vs. restaurant/delivery food. Nothing super fancy, certainly not haute cuisine, but at least I know what goes in to what we eat and how it was prepared.

I am not familiar with those seasonings. But if you want a really good marinade for fillet mignon when making habachi, here is the recipe:
1/2 cup veg oil
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup vinegar ( i use black vinegar) but you can use white
1/4 cup worchestershire sauce
1/4 cup fresh lime

1/8 cup white sugar
1 tsp white pepper
1 tsp garlic powder

Marinate for at least 4 hours

The seasonings I mentioned are steak seasoning from Oakridge Seasonings.I normally am just a salt and pepper guy but Oakridge has premium seasonings.They are great to change it up a little.Thank you for the marinade tip.

The seasonings I mentioned are steak seasoning from Oakridge Seasonings.I normally am just a salt and pepper guy but Oakridge has premium seasonings.They are great to change it up a little.Thank you for the marinade tip.

I am not saying there is anything wrong with your steak seasoning. All i am saying is next time try the marinade i suggested, and when you put those steaks on the blackstone, give them a 2 min sear on each side, then while on the blackstone, dice them into 1 inch cubes and let them flash cook for a minute or two so they are still med rare.

You will thank me.

I am missing sushi through all this and I'm pretty sure I'd kill my family if I tried to make it. They have take out but it isn't the same.

I am not saying there is anything wrong with your steak seasoning. All i am saying is next time try the marinade i suggested, and when you put those steaks on the blackstone, give them a 2 min sear on each side, then while on the blackstone, dice them into 1 inch cubes and let them flash cook for a minute or two so they are still med rare.

You will thank me.

I am not saying there is anything wrong with your steak seasoning. All i am saying is...

He never doubted what you said. Do you just prod people to get a reaction?

Back