Humphreys Half Pint First Season and Review lots o Pics!!

Decoy205

Babbling Farker
Name or Nickame
John
So let me start by saying why I broke all the new smoker rules by not buying bigger. I usually cook for myself, my wife is not really into smoke (maybe it's just my Bbq) my daughter is 5 and she's just starting to enjoy pork and bacon, and my son is 9 mons so he's not ready for q yet. This is more than enough smoker for me at least for now!

I ordered through our brethren Kevin Smokinit and he was great to deal with. Chad and Nicole contacted me when it was ready 3 weeks earlier than expected so the ordering process was simple and straight forward. What's cool was this was a xmas and b day gift to myself and I got the email that my cooker was ready to ship on my actual b day. Thought that was cool.

I ordered the heat deflector, 6" casters, and a pick stick.

It arrived last week all crated up.

I ordered some extra goodies with the shipment, psyched to try these :)

Logistics of getting it off the pallet:

And here it is!

I attached the intake and the exhaust flange.

[

And the little pit master in training:

I wiped down all the racks and any dust on the deflector and inside. Sprayed it with Pam and Loaded it up about 3/4 of the way with kingsford comp and purposely started it with only about 10 briqs to let it get up to temp slowly. I filled the water pan with a little hot water about 1/3 of the way. I was planning to get it up to 250 and let it chill there for a couple of hours.

So first thoughts are its a quality unit. The fit and finish are great. I love the color. There was absolutely no leaks through the gaskets. It sealed really tightly. As the gaskets wear you can adjust the handles to compensate for the compression so that's great. The ball valve is stout and comes with the guru adaptor. I think down the road I may invest in one since I like gadgets.

It performed exactly as expected. I let it roll for around 3 hours to season and cure the gaskets.

Questions: Can you use Fire bricks instead of water? I liked the way it performed with water, but I need to move it sometimes and when I was rolling it back in the garage to put it away water splashed a bit and I'm worried it will get where it's not supposed to.

2nd should I remove the guru adapter from the valve? It seemed to work fine with it on but maybe it's only supposed to be there for the guru?

To be continued tomorrow with a fatty and butt.

Thanks for lookin!

-John

Awesome pics and sweet smoker. Congrats John!

I love the color.

Thanks everyone! I really appreciate all the great information here that helped me with the decision.

Bigger isn't always the best for everyone. I like that size for a small family.

Yeah for now I think this will do. I would love a nice Big stick burner as well. Eventually!

Looks great! Seasoned my Pint today as well!!! Team Humphreys!!!!!

:rockon::peace:

Nice rig brother. That thing is going to make you some great food. You don't have to use a Guru to run it but you might have to unscrew the bushing and adapter to get enough air flow. Kevin would be able to answer about that.

Back