THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Was in Hawaii again in August, this time on Maui and Big Island. (Kauai is still my fave...) And Yes, Huli Huli chicken is a moving target to recreate. I've made it 8-10 times since August and every time was a little different, trying something a bit different, but every time we licked the platter clean...

I grabbed a couple versions of this from a ukulele forum I belong to. The guy that posted it lives in Honolulu. I haven't tried either one, but they're both on "the list".

Thanks to MM Stan at ukulele underground.

First version:

This is a marinade recipe, so don’t be fussy about measuring. Jus’ do ‘em to taste.

The recipe is enough for about three chickens, split in half. You can use chicken pieces if that’s what you have. Marinate your chicken for at least a half-hour.

1/3 cup ketchup
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/4 cup brown sugar
1/4 cup honey
1/4 cup sherry
1-2 Tbsp. sesame oil
1-2-more pieces ginger root, crushed
3 cloves garlic, crushed
Worchestershire sauce to taste
Sriracha or Asian chili paste (or red pepper flakes) to taste
Squeeze a lemon in if you've got one

Brush the chicken with the remaining marinade while cooking over a grill. And don't forget to huli the chicken.

Second version:

"Okay Gang...this is the current updated style now with pineapple juice....

2 (3 pound) chickens, each cut into 8 pieces
1 cup unsweetened pineapple juice
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
1/3 cup ketchup
1/4 cup sherry
1 (2 inch) piece fresh ginger, crushed
3 cloves garlic, crushed
4 green onions, chopped
1/4 teaspoon dry mustard

Directions
1.Rinse chicken pieces and pat dry with paper towels. Combine pineapple juice, soy sauce, brown sugar, ketchup, sherry, ginger, garlic, and green onions in a large resealable plastic bag, stirring the marinade until brown sugar has dissolved. Place chicken pieces into the bag, squeeze out air, seal bag, and lomi (massage) bag to coat chicken with marinade. Refrigerate at least 4 hours to overnight.

2.Move an oven rack 6 inches from heat source and preheat oven to 425 degrees F (220 degrees C).

3.Remove chicken from marinade and arrange chicken, skin sides up, on a broiler pan.

4.Bake chicken in preheated oven until browned on both sides and the juices run clear, turning every 10 minutes, 30 to 45 minutes. Baste with remaining marinade after each turning. An instant-read meat thermometer inserted into the thickest piece of chicken, not touching bone, should read at least 160 degrees F (70 degrees C).

I'm wondering if the brine style Huli Huli would work on a turkey. I'll end up doing 5 or 6 for the holiday season. Would try one like this. What you guys say???

no love for Chicken In A Barrel?

Kauai%20CIB_zpskudm8twu.jpg

I have big love for Chicken in A Barrel. They are the best smoked chicken on the island IMHO.

Can't wait to see what you find out John!
Have a great time and give my "other" wife a hug for me. :wink:

I am going to check the Woodshed. The owner is Hawaiian, so she might have a hookup for the wood. I gave Jennifer a hug. She says Hi!

Did I just hear SmokinJohn say he was gonna not only continue to bring mac n cheese to the Bashes, but also add in cooking Huli Huli chicken? :whoo:
Hope you and your lovely bride are having a great time over there - I'm guessing with you 2 it can only be a great time!

Happy Spam smuggling! :heh:

Lol. We could have a chicken feast. Carolina Treet, Roadside and Huli Huli. I will have to go to the test kitchen over the next few weeks.

We had an awesome time. Kidless vacations rock! [translation: I am sad that our son wasn't able to attend - NOT]. We hiked (which allowed me to consume a sandwich called the Pork-A-Holic) ziplined, and just chilled.

I wasn't able to connect with Keale, but that's what the next trip is for.

Lol. We could have a chicken feast. Carolina Treet, Roadside and Huli Huli. I will have to go to the test kitchen over the next few weeks.

I certainly wouldn't be opposed to an all-chicken cook with a bunch of different kinds - that could be really fun, kinda like the all-rib thing we had at the house a while back. All beef, pork, seafood, lamb, etc. could be a cool thing to do - really dig in and geek out on different ways of preparing the same meat. :thumb:

Back