THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

but I also have the "wifey factor". She is not a fan of soy sauce and loves pineapple, so I knew if I didn't have pineapple she probably would't like it. Ya gotta do what you gotta do to keep the better half happy!

Very smart man!:p

Couldn't find the image I was looking for, but this gives you an idea of what I consider the traditional Huli Huli cooking method. Cooked over a bed of Kiawe embers and "turned", hence the name.
img_1998.JPG

Couldn't find the image I was looking for, but this gives you an idea of what I consider the traditional Huli Huli cooking method. Cooked over a bed of Kiawe embers and "turned", hence the name.
img_1998.JPG

That's it! Here are the pics I promised today...

SDC10561.jpg

SDC10562.jpg

Mark, don't want to hijack your thread, try this basic recipe from here...
Huli Huli means "to turn"...which is what they do...normally they marinate chicken and put in wire racks, and cook like you said over Kiawe wood coals... turning several times, the chicken are about 3 ft above the coals... or you can smoke them or just grill them like usual...
(Local style: we don't put pineapple juice or pineapple)

5 pounds whole chicken (cut in half or spatchcocked) or leg quaters...
1/3 cup catsup
1/3 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons sherry
1 piece ginger root, crushed
1 clove garlic, crushed

Cuz, you send me a case of Aloha Shoyu, and I will make some ono grinds Huli Huli, Shoyu Chicken, and Musubi. Kikkomen and this other stuff they have here is way to bitter. That with some good Aku Poke', I won't be standing for a while.

Living there for so many years, one of my favorite things was to get up on Saturday Mornings and look for the smoke trail. They always led the way to the Huli Huli stand. Get Huli Huli, two scoops rice, one scoop mac salad for $6, great meal!

Not a shameless bump since it was just bumped by Bigabyte, but I was reading through my original post and want to clarify something. You will end up with about 1 1/4 cup of marinade, and I said to pour about a 1/2 cup of that in with the chicken in a gallon freezer bag. I wasn't very clear on what to do with the remaining marinade, but that is what you baste the chicken with during the entire cooking process.
I'm pretty sure you would have figured that out, but just wanted to clarify. :-D

I went to your recipe link and read your Gumbo Recipe with the excellent write-up and pictures and I will let you wonder what I am going to make for dinner tomorrow night.

Thanks for all of the time and trouble it took to put the recipe and presentation together, I really appreciate it and I know others do to.

Paul

See if you can pry his recipe from him. :-D

I have some pics somewhere I'll try to dig up of the traditional method of cooking Huli Huli, kind of what you are talking about. It's like a large rotisserie over a bed of Kiawe embers, and they turn whole chickens over the embers.

I know I'm bringing this one back from the dead, but I made Saiko's recipe tonight and it turned out amazingly well. I paired it with some grilled pineapple and a batch of sushi rice.

Thanks!

William

I know I'm bringing this one back from the dead, but I made Saiko's recipe tonight and it turned out amazingly well. I paired it with some grilled pineapple and a batch of sushi rice.

Thanks!

William

Glad you like it! I've been meaning to give this another shot, but haven't got around to it yet. I love the idea of pairing it with grilled pineapple, that's a great idea.

Sounds like a yummy recipe. I would be worried that the fresh pineapple would break down the chicken too much because of the papains. I once liquefied a brisket using a fresh pineapple marinade overnight.
Looking at those pictures though I guess an hour isn't long enough to break it down too much.
I am looking forward to trying it!!

Sounds like a yummy recipe. I would be worried that the fresh pineapple would break down the chicken too much because of the papains. I once liquefied a brisket using a fresh pineapple marinade overnight.
Looking at those pictures though I guess an hour isn't long enough to break it down too much.
I am looking forward to trying it!!

Good point. Any time I marinate fish with an acid like lime or lemon I also limit the time to an hour or less, otherwise you end up with ceviche. You can tell that even with an hour marinade in pineapple that the meat has a different texture, but I love the flavor it brings in.

I've always wanted to try Huli Huli chicken on the rotisserie ..a whole chicken that is. But the chicken pieces in the original post look really good.

Saiko, Great looking chicken! I spent a far amount of time on the Big Island and would get some from the road side stands. Man it was good.

Thanks for posting your recipe and technique, definitely will be giving this a try.

oh ya theres always someone making huli huli here on the weekends.. and at 6 or 7 dollers for a whole bird we just buy rice and 2 or 3 maybe more birds..my kid can eat 2 by him self..and the best part i don't even have to get my grill dirty..like everyone said that is some good looking chicken.. i know we don't cook much with pineapple here funny you would think we would but not really we don't even eat much of it.maybe when we make sweet and sour ribs.. thats about it.. great job on the chicken!!!!

Last edited:
Glad you like it! I've been meaning to give this another shot, but haven't got around to it yet. I love the idea of pairing it with grilled pineapple, that's a great idea.

For some great grilled pineapple get your hands on some Dizzy Pig, Pineapple Head rub. Good stuff! It is also good on grilled sweet potatoes.

Back