Contest Results Hudson Valley RibFest 8/14 – 8/16 New Paltz, NY

Sport

Somewhere in the 'Ribfest' posts I read about the judges/presenters understanding the difficulty of this 'sport'. I spent a lot of time 'pondering'<-- (euphemism for drinking bourbon)the idea of BBQ as a 'sport'.

Similar to the "Is NASCAR a sport?" question -- Is BBQ a SPORT? IMHO I would have to say NO. Yes, it IS competitive and SPORTING, however, not a 'sport'.

One can take a cursory glance around at the 'competition' and notice a dearth of athletes. Yes, perhaps some athletic 'types' or former athletes but...NOT SO MANY athletes.

I say this respectfully, as I am a HUGE <- NO pun intended fan of FATS AND TATS. :icon_shy

No, my proposal is that BBQ be referred to as the SPART OF BBQ. The SPORTING idea of BBQ as an ART.

This term is NOT TO BE CONFUSED with SPLARTING -- THIS combines both Splashing and Farting ( sorry for the POTTY language). SPLARTING is what was heard in MUZZLEBRAKES stall on Sunday morning!:biggrin:

I will submit this term to Websters colloquial dictionary.

Spartingly yours,
Greg

Last edited:
WTF ? :mad:
Somewhere in the 'Ribfest' posts I read about the judges/presenters understanding the difficulty of this 'sport'. I spent a lot of time 'pondering'<-- (euphemism for drinking bourbon)the idea of BBQ as a 'sport'.

Similar to the "Is NASCAR a sport?" question -- Is BBQ a SPORT? IMHO I would have to say NO. Yes, it IS competitive and SPORTING, however, not a 'sport'.

One can take a cursory glance around at the 'competition' and notice a dearth of athletes. Yes, perhaps some athletic 'types' or former athletes but...NOT SO MANY athletes.

I say this respectfully, as I am a HUGE <- NO pun intended fan of FATS AND TATS. :icon_shy

No, my proposal is that BBQ be referred to as the SPART OF BBQ. The SPORTING idea of BBQ as an ART.

This term is NOT TO BE CONFUSED with SPLARTING -- THIS combines both Splashing and Farting ( sorry for the POTTY language). SPLARTING is what was heard in MUZZLEBRAKES stall on Sunday morning!:biggrin:

Spartingly yours,
Greg

Satire

Pig...Tremendous props for this weekend. Congrats. My apologies for ANY offense taken...the post was SATIRICAL.:icon_blush:

It's SUMMERTIME...
RED
necks, WHITE {couldn't figure out how to make that white!} socks and BLUE Ribbon beer!

Last edited:

Spartingly yours,
Greg

"Webster's" definition for "sport": a source of diversion, pastime, a physical activity engaged in for pleasure.
I would say this past weekend filled all of the above! So I am sticking with the term.

CNN says right here that competition barbecue is a sport so it must be true.

From the story: "Of all the great sports of summer, only one leaves competitors covered with sauce, smelling like smoke and clutching trophies with charcoal under their fingernails. Barbecue -- the staple of gatherings with friends and family on hot, lazy days -- has become serious business for amateur cooks who want to prove nobody does it better."

accepted

Dvarraw and SMOKE...I humbly {bowing and stepping back) stand corrected. See what NONSENSICAL BANTER fueled by bourbon can do!!!

I owe ALL A DRINK...you can find me for the next 5 days camping in Burlingame - Rhode Island state park. I'll be the guy standing in the smoke...with TATS. DOH!!:icon_pissed

Enjoy!

See what NONSENSICAL BANTER fueled by bourbon can do!!!

Buzzed posting is drunk posting. Keyboards need breathalyzers and testostorone meters. :biggrin: Be assured everyone else has violated these rules just like the speed limit.

Buzzed posting is drunk posting. Keyboards need breathalyzers and testostorone meters. :biggrin: Be assured everyone else has violated these rules just like the speed limit.

So true and my keyboards, work and home, now has a testosterone meter. :lol:

Back