How to wrap pork butt and brisket

Crotonmark

is one Smokin' Farker
I have been drafted to smoke a brisket and a pork butt for a family event
I've done these before and in my experience they are 12+ hour projects
I need to get these babies done by 3PM for delivery to the party
Therefore I assume I will need to wrap these to speed up the process
What is the process to wrap meats to get them to cook faster?
What do you use to wrap and when in the smoke do you wrap them?

Is there any other way to get these babies smoked without wrapping?

I really can't start cooking any earlier than 5am?

thanks

Lots of people cook at 275 these days. No need to wrap. Wrapping in foil will speed the cook at some expense to your bark.

Wrapping is the "Texas Crutch" and it helps get past the stall. I wrap my brisket in butcher paper in two layers - lengthwise then around at about 160 degrees IT. and then cook till probe tender. It might be my imagination but it seems to cook faster when it braises under the paper. At about the same internal temp I put my butts in an aluminum pan with a little moisture - beer, apple juice, whatever, then I cover with foil and back in. It's done when the bone wiggles. YMMV with boneless butts.
I'm a 250-275 offset guy. That's the temp, not my weight. Well, it's also my weight, but its temp we're talking about here.

Not sure what the weights are, so not sure how long they'll take - but - what you have going in your favor is that both of these meats do very well with a long rest, so if you get cracking as early as you can you should be gtg by 3.

I'd cook at a higher temp like 275-300 (I'd lean more towards 300 with your time window) and wrapping will be your friend. If they get done early, wrap up tight and stick in a cooler with a bunch of towels to help insulate.

When I do wrap, I go by how the bark is looking. Once it's a little shy of how I want it to be, I'll wrap. A lot of people will wrap at around 160, which is where the stall happens esp. at lower temps.

I don’t think I would change things if I’m responsible for food for a family event. I wouldn’t want a mishap if everyone is counting on me. I would have to make changes at some other time.

I don’t think I would change things if I’m responsible for food for a family event. I wouldn’t want a mishap if everyone is counting on me. I would have to make changes at some other time.
Of course the OP could cook it ahead and re- heat, or wake up at 3 and start cooking.

I want to make sure he understands you wrap after you get some or alot of color.
Also, after cooking, let it settle for 20 mins unwrapped, then rewrap and into a pre-heated cooler w/ towels and LET IT REST.

Yea. I agree. I’ll kick up the temps. It’ll be a 9 lb butt and a 10 lb brisket.
I’ll start a little earlier

Of course the OP could cook it ahead and re- heat, or wake up at 3 and start cooking.

I want to make sure he understands you wrap after you get some or alot of color.
Also, after cooking, let it settle for 20 mins unwrapped, then rewrap and into a pre-heated cooler w/ towels and LET IT REST.

This is important. I ruined 2 briskets last night, by forgetting to unwrap them before holding. They were beautifully jiggly when I removed them, and crumbled like my hopes and dreams when I cut them 4 hours later.

This is important. I ruined 2 briskets last night, by forgetting to unwrap them before holding. They were beautifully jiggly when I removed them, and crumbled like my hopes and dreams when I cut them 4 hours later.

I’m already confused 😐
I’ll get up earlier.
How do you cook earlier and re-heat?

The carryover heat from pulling a large chunk of meat off the smoker and immediately wrapping (or keeping it wrapped), then putting it into the cooler will result in it continuing to cook. So if you pulled it off at the perfect doneness (or over) and don’t let it bleed off some of that residual heat it keeps cooking and takes you from “done” to “overdone”. If you’re a bit undercooked when you pull it, you can use the carryover to your advantage and pull it across the finish line for you.

The butt is easy to re-heat - just put it pulled with some liquid in 2 ziplocks.
The liquid could be degreased pan juices (if you use a pan when you wrap), stock, some mix apple juice, etc.

Then into hot water, not boiling.

I'll let someone else chime in a the brisket - although I do it that way for several servings, should work for a whole brisket.

Back