how to STUFF a "Fatty" ?!?

Michigan BBQ Fan

Take a breath!
Name or Nickame
Scott
I've never stuffed a "Fatty." I've only smoke a few covered in rub and sauced at the end. But, for Memorial Day I want to stuff a few for when the family comes over (to go along with some pulled pork.) The pics below are the items I have on hand that I THINK might go well in a stuffed fatty....but...I would love your advice/ideas/suggestions. THANK YOU!

Bacon (probably for a weave/wrap around the outside)
Mexican 4 Cheese (shredded)
Green Onions
Baby Bella Mushrooms (sautéed)
Chipotle Peppers (canned - in sauce)
Jalapeño Peppers - fresh - ? should I smoke them ? grill them ?
Vidalia Onion
Fresh Garlic
Cream Cheese
Pomegranate Seeds ?? am i crazy ??
Sweet Peppers ? should I smoke them ? grill them ?
Polish Sausage - packaged
Sun-Dried Tomatoes
Diced Tomatoes w/ Green Chilies (canned)
Cheese "coated" in garden veg ???

2ly0m0p.jpg

bdqwsg.jpg

k3mas3.jpg

34e8hh4.jpg

34jadld.jpg

2yz9yy0.jpg

so4qog.jpg

65zpl3.jpg

351i9lz.jpg

s0wvaf.jpg

313odqv.jpg

24nmxbm.jpg

678px5.jpg

167ul94.jpg

To start:

Make a plan
- Seriously - Think about liquid to solid. Think about how this is going down before you start.

Get your fillings together
- Sautee Onions
- Collect shredded cheese
- Grab those spices

Get a Gallon Zip-Top Bag:
- Open a 1lb JD Hot (or other flavor) Sausage Chub into the bag.
- Get in there and flatten that out... get it pretty well the same thickness across the bag. A rolling pin works like a champ.

Throw this in the freezer - Build yourself time while you get the fixin's together.
- Seriously, you want to cool this little slab of pork off for a while.

Stuff that fatty
- Pull the pork sausage from the freezer/fridge
- Cut the sides and pull back the top of the gallon-sized bag
- Start layering the good stuff onto the pork "slab"
- Wrap that fatty as best you can!
- Wrap the ends so nothing escapes
- Wrap the sides so nothing escapes

Smoke until good Internal Temp
- You're looking for a good 165-170F temp here. - Use a good thermo probe and keep watch.
- Slice or freeze beforehand - Seriously, if you're looking for looks, it might be time to cool this off before you slice it up.... otherwise, just slice this baby up and devour the results!

My $0.03...

Related Discussion: Methinks you have a bit much wet to dry... Cut this down to about 1/4... unless you want to grab another chub of sausage... to help wrap.

I put 1 1/2 - 2 lbs of bulk sausage in a gallon ziplock and then use a rolling pin to roll it into a flat square. Cut three sides of the bag and then load your stuffing ingredients along one side. Use the bag to roll it like a sushi roll.

I make an Italian Fatty with Italian sausage, provolone, roasted red peppers, and basil.
I also use chorizo stuffed with poblanos and pepperjack.

David

Thanks for the tips. I'm going to try them today when preparing them tonight. Any tips on what mix of ingredients above would be good together???

I do the stuffed fatty like I do a pizza- minimal goodies. Sometimes less is more.

On the cheese for the fatty, I prefer a cheese that does not turn into molten lava running out the cut ends.

all in all- rather have a naked fatty... I hear they are the best.

Back