How much do you spend?

700-900 is the range we tend to spend. The variable is the recereational food, drink & misc. We host the top talent at a Texas based music festival and this number can easily triple.
This makes $12.00/lb brisket at the local Q joint darn cheap!

$600 to $800. It is a very expensive hobby, but I have met many great friends along the way! Can't put a price on friendships :)

$1,000 give or take. More this year since I have a few comps that are 5+ hours away pulling the trailer getting 8 MPG and Gas costing an arm and a leg.

If they are close, I can usually get close to 800.

Its expensive, and that is an important reason to share the pain and the glory with team members. With three team members, that's $200-300 a piece per competition, depending on how far you drive and how much meat you cook and so on. I don't know how single person/family teams do it, unless they happen to be good enough to win a lot of prize money, which is getting harder and harder to do.

Our team has probably $500 in costs per competition. We stay pretty close to home, and we are fortunate enough to have a brisket sponsor, Roseda Farms. That saves us a good $120-140 per contest right there. Split the cost among the members and it comes out to a pretty reasonable price for a great weekend! Sometimes we even win a little something, that goes back into the team kitty for future contests.

Brett

I don't know how single person/family teams do it, unless they happen to be good enough to win a lot of prize money, which is getting harder and harder to do.

We only do a few comps a year, and forgo any other expensive hobbies (want to buy some golf clubs? :heh:)

If you can cook a KCBS for $500, I would love to know how you can do that. .

Entry 200
Brisket(1)45
Butts(2)30
Ribs(2)30
Chicken(two packs smart chicken)15
Wood, coal, rubs, injections, sauce, pans, etc-75
Booze-20
Food-50
Gas-40(I rarely go more than 90 miles for a comp)
Total--505(okay gas is up...)

This is Tulsa Oklahoma, lots of comps close by...

I cook alone...

Donny Teel coached me on the amount of meat to cook...

I am also around $500, not including liquor or gas.

$200 Entry
$200 Meat(2 Briskets, 2 Butts, 3 Racks Ribs, 20 Chicken)
$100 Supplies(Pellets, Rubs, Sauce, Foil, paper towels, etc.)

OK, so I am fresh off a comp.

Entry fee $250 + $50 (RV Space) = $300
Gas 172 miles round trip = $ 90
Meat and Produce = $200 +/-
rubs, pans, sauce, injections,etc. = $80
Approximate total = $670

I do not count booze and munchies because, I am going to eat and drink on any given weekend.

I don't know how single person/family teams do it, unless they happen to be good enough to win a lot of prize money, which is getting harder and harder to do.

We are like John. This is our hobby and the only one we do. Gave up the boating and went straight BBQ comps. It is only my wife and myself (sometimes her parents) so we foot it all. It's not easy, but I space out the comps so it doesn't kill me. I would love to do back to back weekends, but cannot do it, so I go every four weeks or so.

The question on meat cost for us is who will be coming out to visit. I agree 600-800 for meat to enter all categories and have plenty of meat to select the judging samples from. However, if you have quite a few people come out or stop by that are expecting samples, your costs can skyrocket. You always have more friends than you think when you enter a BBQ competition.

Back