THE BBQ BRETHREN FORUMS

Welcome to The BBQ Brethren Community. Register a free account today to become a member and see all our content. Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

I guess once was enough for me. Back in the days before my superfast RED Thermapen, I had a temperature probe in a piece of meat. I don't know how long it was in there, but when I pulled it out with my thumb and forefinger... well, let me just say I don't think I've ever seen flesh blister that fast. :shock:

I burn myself regularly with the oven racks. I have scars mostly on the backs of my hands. Seems like no matter how careful I try to be, I get burned at least once a month. :noidea:

photo.jpg

The wierdest part about most burns is that you can hear the sound of the skin burning before your nerves have a chance to send the pain signal to your brain. There have been a few occasions when I've brushed up against hot metal and heard the searing sound that a steak makes when slapped on a grill and thought..."WTF was that sound.....AAAAAGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!"

Yea, Saiko just ask Big Mista about a job I helped him at one time. We both were on the rig and I stuck my arm in the fire box and all you can hear was the sizzle. I never knew there was white skin underneath my first 3 layers. Funny thing is I never felt a bit of pain, must have disabled all surrounding nerves:redface:

The wierdest part about most burns is that you can hear the sound of the skin burning before your nerves have a chance to send the pain signal to your brain. There have been a few occasions when I've brushed up against hot metal and heard the searing sound that a steak makes when slapped on a grill and thought..."WTF was that sound.....AAAAAGGGHHHH!!!!!!!!!"

That and the smell of burnt hair, followed be an "Ah Hah" moment.:doh:

The only BBQ incident that comes to mind is the ol' hot coals on bare feet sort thing. I've had some decent burns from accidentally bumping up against heating elements in other cooking devices, or once from just being generally stupid as a kid. Other than that, I have been fortunate really.

Don't ask me how I know that....

How do you know that:heh:

I have been really good (or lucky...hiccup) around my cookers, but darn it all if I don't burn myself on my oven or stove at least once a week:tsk:

A couple years back I did pick up a 'straggler' of lump which had fallen out of the chimney, and it sure as heck looked like it was cold:doh: Now all charcoal is handled with leather gloves or my tongs:thumb:

During the competition season I have an almost perpetual burn on my left arm from the wind blowing the door on the FEC-100 against it when i am doing something in the cooker.

During the competition season I have an almost perpetual burn on my left arm from the wind blowing the door on the FEC-100 against it when i am doing something in the cooker.

gotta love the wind ONLY blowing when you're attending to the fire. Mine does it all the time, but I've been pretty good at moving just in time.

A couple years back I did pick up a 'straggler' of lump which had fallen out of the chimney, and it sure as heck looked like it was cold:doh: Now all charcoal is handled with leather gloves or my tongs:thumb:

I built a fire for my g/f the other night in our fire pit, and I threw a piece of wood on top. It sat there for a few but wasn't burning, so I was just going to grab it and throw it lower in the fire. Well it wasn't burning because it hadn't completely dried out yet, but boy was it BURNING my fingers. Lesson learned

No more on the egg, but the Lang 84 I used to have.... That firebox got me multiple times when moving splits around. I had stripes on my forearm at the end of the summer!

Back