How Many Here "Mentally" Compete?

I used to spend a lot of time thinking about BBQ competitions while not at them. On any given day, I'd take a mental break from work and go through my timeline or process just to ensure that I knew it. I might have retired to my office after dinner to think about it again, and it was not uncommon to think about it in bed as I was falling asleep. The day before a comp, I'd ensure that I had a custom timeline for that specific contest, taking into account many factors. It, would then be saved off for future reference. Upon returning from any given comp, I'd go through a post-mortem and take notes for how to adjust for the next comp (or not), and the process would start all over again. In short, I lived to compete in BBQ.

Of course, there were things for which I did not account in my process and time lines, and as a result, I don't think about my comp time line as much. For some reason, it comes up in my thoughts more than it probably should, and just today, I had an epiphany for how to adjust my rub, and have spent a few hours mixing and testing since. To answer your question, I used to "game plan" a lot for BBQ, and still do, even though I don't compete. I won't say that you're normal, but you're no weirder than I am. That may make you feel better or worse.

dmp

... and while doing some other things I shouldn't mention. :-D

I thought you were supposed to think about baseball? Maybe that's my problem...I need to start thinking about BBQ. :mrgreen:

Back on topic, I can't sleep for a week before a comp, going over and over all of the little things that need to be kept track of. The only good thing about it is that I'm usually so tired by Friday night, it's easy to catch a nap here and there.

I think I have more BBQ files on my work computer than I actually have work files! Is that obsession, probably. Timelines, methods, reminders, checklists, you name it. The checklist is 2 pages long, is typed in "12" font, my wife laughs at me on Thursday nights when I whip that bad boy out while packing, but I can honestly say I have never showed up at a comp and needed something.

Pretty much all summer and spring I lay in bed before falling asleep and think about my timing and visualize building boxes and what not. It comes from the visualization I used in competing in sports at a very competitive level and just carrying that into whatever else I compete in now.

Even though (for the most part) our timeline didn't change this past season, we both still reviewed it Tuesday/Wednesday of the week before, our "manual" and our checklist - just to double check everything. We also pre-visualize the timeline.

And even though our season is now complete, we've already begun talking about next season - what to change, what not to change, lessons learned, etc... It never ends.
Which is loco. :crazy:

i use a four to one visualization to actual practice routine. in the winter i will visualize a catagory about four times and then practice it once, then move on to the next catagory. as summer draws near i will visualize the entire cook four times and then practice it once as a whole. this saves alot of money in meat during the course of a year.

I have a "load sheet" that I use starting usually a couple of weeks ahead of time... to make sure I have everything. Then I start the shopping list. I will usually second wonder myself if I have everything as I rent a truck to haul everything now. So, even with the load sheet, etc. there seems to be something that is forgotten, so I am always thinking what it is. My first comp this year was the fire extinguisher... :icon_blush: Then, I went to use my injector, :icon_blush:, lucky for me a neighbor let me use his.

So, yeah, pretty much thinking about it all the time... is that normal? Well, first we have to know what normal is.

The addiction is here and I think we all are in it. Will we all admit we "go through" the weekend before we go? Probably not...

So, what was the question? :crazy:

I too spend a lot of time "mentally" running through what is going to happen at a comp. I also spend a lot of time thinking about how to deal with challenges that might come up during the cook. A smoker that won't stay at temp, the pellet pooper fails, power fails, etc. Always planning what I would do if "X" happens.

I start about two weeks before, starts with going through my travel box checking off items I'll need in the order I'll need em. Its all down hill from there, by the time weds thurs rolls around the week of a comp, can't sleep cause I'm debating with myself (and losing) what time to start fires or put meat on, thinking about what was done to early or late last comp. Its an obsession to say the least.

There is also mentally competing on other teams. If you can get a team wound up at say the cooks meeting. You can take another team off the list... :shock:
There is also the "oh $#!+" factor.
Any team that looks at you and thinks "oh $#!+, they're here" has mentally taken themselves out of the game.

This is really a very interesting aspect of this hobby/sport/activity/whatevs. It may explain, in part, why the frequency of competition plays into success, aside from the feedback of judging and placing. There are SO many variables and details that have to be nailed to produce an optimal cook -- perhaps the mental landscape is just as important in providing the climate conducive to getting all those details right.

I don't even compete but I've talked about the idea enough at home that my 6 year old daughter is now telling me about dreams she had the night before of us at BBQ competitions!!

Back