How do you finish your chicken?

Does it make sense to brine the chicken at all?
I typically brine mine but have not done a competition yet either.

My marinade is a bit of a brine but generally speaking, brining is not necessary for thighs. Yardbird boobs are another story altogether.

brining or marinading thighs i think is unneccessary. if you're missing salt at the end, add some. I quit brining, marinading chicken over a year ago. I don't have much white meat cooking experience, but for what i've done, i can make it nice and juicy without brining either.

i usually just rub my chicken parts, but will inject on full chickens. never thoughtnof puttin chx in brine, guess i know what i'm tryn next.

Brining = Two firsts and a third, in 6 KCBS comps
No brining = No higher than 4th

I brine!

John

No brining = 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 4th, and 5th and a 1st at the Jack. (6 out of the past 9 contests since I've quit brining) Just goes to show, any thing and any way can work great if you can make it work for yourself !:-D

No brining = 1st, 2nd, 2nd, 4th, and 5th and a 1st at the Jack. (6 out of the past 9 contests since I've quit brining) Just goes to show, any thing and any way can work great if you can make it work for yourself !:-D
Roger that! It's definitely just one part of the individual cook's overall approach. I'd love to lose the brine, but I get my head handed to me every time I try.

John

Impressive. What temperature are you smoking it at? I use the marinade and brine as a crutch (if you want to call it that) for if I leave the chicken on too long it gives me some wiggle room and chicken is still moist.

Impressive. What temperature are you smoking it at? I use the marinade and brine as a crutch (if you want to call it that) for if I leave the chicken on too long it gives me some wiggle room and chicken is still moist.

cook at 275. Thighs are greasy enough to provide its own wiggle room, unlike white meat. I don't see brining, (or anything KCBS legal for that matter) as a crutch, just another method for decent results when it works right.

Ok I will keep it going. What sauce do ya use, and which rub? Do you slather? :p
Its about time for a little side bet!

Ok I will keep it going. What sauce do ya use, and which rub? Do you slather? :p
Its about time for a little side bet!

$5 on the highest score on chicken between us two at madison ?:wink:

I use Mark's Feed Store red sauce cut with ranch dressing, and the rub i use is the powder packet from a box of Hamburger Helper Chili Mac. :lol:

I do mine on the smoker from start to finish. It has finished no worse than 14th in a comp.

Podge, that hamburger helper rub sounds pretty good. Have ya ever tried the beef stroganoff seasoning on your brisket. Just a thought.:biggrin:

$5 on the highest score on chicken between us two at madison ?:wink:

I use Mark's Feed Store red sauce cut with ranch dressing, and the rub i use is the powder packet from a box of Hamburger Helper Chili Mac. :lol:

Just might work!, lmao

I do mine on the smoker from start to finish. It has finished no worse than 14th in a comp.

Podge, that hamburger helper rub sounds pretty good. Have ya ever tried the beef stroganoff seasoning on your brisket. Just a thought.:biggrin:

i started thinking, after i sent that, i kinda thought it might work :wink: if there wasn't those thickening agents.

Back